BilletMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Billet Silver
did you ever figure out a solution
Let me know also. Have same problem but with QuakeLED taillights, contacted Oracle and they said it was Quakes problem and Quake said it was Oracles problem. Took it to a specialty shop for installs and they couldn’t solve either. Suspect a resistor needs to be wired in to reduce wattage to backup lights but I don’t know.
Sponsored

Mattyv

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - Ocean Blue
Let me know also. Have same problem but with QuakeLED taillights, contacted Oracle and they said it was Quakes problem and Quake said it was Oracles problem. Took it to a specialty shop for installs and they couldn’t solve either. Suspect a resistor needs to be wired in to reduce wattage to backup lights but I don’t know.

Luckily I already had a Tazer JL because the solution was to cut the resistor/remove it from the curcuit. Once the resistor was removed, I needed the Tazer to flash the Jeep to tell it the the taillights were LED.
Also, you might need to this voodoo

BilletMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Billet Silver
Luckily I already had a Tazer JL because the solution was to cut the resistor/remove it from the curcuit. Once the resistor was removed, I needed the Tazer to flash the Jeep to tell it the the taillights were LED.
Also, you might need to this voodoo
But my aftermarket LED taillights worked perfectly without a Tazer (they were plug and play as advertised, even though my stock taillights were halogen). So I haven’t needed a tazer and the backup lights were sold as plug and play with any taillights.

Mattyv

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - Ocean Blue
But my aftermarket LED taillights worked perfectly without a Tazer (they were plug and play as advertised, even though my stock taillights were halogen). So I haven’t needed a tazer and the backup lights were sold as plug and play with any taillights.
The resistor included with the aftermarket LED tail light was what was causing the flickering. The Jeep doesn't see a tail light change when going to halogen to the Quake LED tail light (in my case) because the in-line resistor tricks the canbus into thinking it still has the halogen. The resistor causes the flicker. Removing it solved my flicker, but then the jeep "sees" the taillight as LED. That is why changing the taillight value with the tazer solved it for me.

You can test it (if you want) by cutting 1 of the sides of the resistor. If it doesn't work, you can always re-connect it.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I had problems with their harness also. A buddy of mine helped me to reset the pins in order for it to be able to click in. Once he did that they worked great! The pins were basically too long and weren't allowing the connector to seat all the way and click together.
I bought this adapter but haven't installed yet. Just in case I need to know, how do you reset the pins on the harness?

Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I bought this adapter but haven't installed yet. Just in case I need to know, how do you reset the pins on the harness?
My buddy did it for me. It involved using a small pin tool to remove the plate that holds the pins in, then gently pulling the wires to make sure the pins were all set to their proper set points, then replacing the plate to hold them in place. The pins were all the same length when he was done.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
My buddy did it for me. It involved using a small pin tool to remove the plate that holds the pins in, then gently pulling the wires to make sure the pins were all set to their proper set points, then replacing the plate to hold them in place. The pins were all the same length when he was done.
Hmm interesting. I have a slightly hard time imagining this tool and how to take apart the plastic part of the harness (but I admit to not having a lot of experience with electrical wiring stuff). Definitely something I'd need to see a picture or video of to understand it better.

All I've done is take it out of the box, but taking a look at my harness now and I'm a bit worried about what I have. I had found one other thread about this and was gonna copy and paste it...turns out your'e the OP! lol

What do you think about this?

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Back Up LEDs killed my Reverse Lights IMG_3524

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Back Up LEDs killed my Reverse Lights IMG_3525

It's not as bad as your pics in https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rness-for-rear-bumper-leds.74227/post-1546165, but I can't say it looks great either.

So they're supposed to be completely even? If so, are the longest ones the "correct" ones? Sounds like I should tag @ORACLElights just in case, since on https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rness-for-rear-bumper-leds.74227/post-1549635 they also said they should be even?

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm interesting. I have a slightly hard time imagining this tool and how to take apart the plastic part of the harness (but I admit to not having a lot of experience with electrical wiring stuff). Definitely something I'd need to see a picture or video of to understand it better.

All I've done is take it out of the box, but taking a look at my harness now and I'm a bit worried about what I have. I had found one other thread about this and was gonna copy and paste it...turns out your'e the OP! lol

What do you think about this?

It's not as bad as your pics in https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rness-for-rear-bumper-leds.74227/post-1546165, but I can't say it looks great either.

So they're supposed to be completely even? If so, are the longest ones the "correct" ones? Sounds like I should tag @ORACLElights just in case, since on https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rness-for-rear-bumper-leds.74227/post-1549635 they also said they should be even?
Hello, yes they should be even. You can take a small set of needle nose pliers and gently pull the ones that are slightly pushed in, out to match the rest.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Hello, yes they should be even. You can take a small set of needle nose pliers and gently pull the ones that are slightly pushed in, out to match the rest.
Thanks for the quick response. So just tried that and they look much more even overall now. Is this "good enough"? I was worried about pulling them too much and harming something. Is the ultimate test just if the harness clicks into place?

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Back Up LEDs killed my Reverse Lights IMG_3526

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Back Up LEDs killed my Reverse Lights IMG_3527

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the quick response. So just tried that and they look much more even overall now. Is this "good enough"? I was worried about pulling them too much and harming something. Is the ultimate test just if the harness clicks into place?

Good to go! Apologies for the inconsistency there.

Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase

That looks good now! I put dielectric grease on all my connections whenever I'm pulling plugs apart also.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Yup, that's the stuff. I use it to protect connections on electrical connections/plugs on my Jeep and my motorcycles. Helps to protect and keep them and keep a good connection.
Ok you sold you me on it. I'll give it a try when I do this install

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Small update: did the install this weekend. Had to really jam the plug and play male harness with the taillight, but it finally clicked together. Also the plug and play connectors that pair with the connectors on the reverse lights seem like they should be better thought out; they don't fit together super well and have no way of locking together. They popped out a ton of times while trying to do the wiring...I eventually taped them together.

But in the end it all works and the lights turn on nicely. Hopefully the dilectric grease keeps it all going!
Sponsored