Sponsored

Permanently disable engine auto start stop (ESS) at stoplights?

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
FCA is not adding it cause they want to, we mandate them to imrove gas milage or pay fines

then why have a button to disable it?
they hate it too, liberal Texans forced them to add it! (It would be more obvious I am joshing ya, if I could toss you a beer, while we smash the damn thing with a sledge, lol)

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I can tell you for certain WE haven't. YOU might have, but WE havent.
We have NOT mandated ESS . I never heard of it until this forum . The entire idea is total lunacy , especially in a military Jeep . Imagine stopping a M-48 tank to fire , and the engine cuts off . Imagine stopping a recon Jeep in a thicket to avoid enemy , and the engine cuts off . Imagine landing a helicopter in a LZ , and the engine cuts off . Stupidest idea ever to cut off a functioning engine .

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
We have NOT mandated ESS . I never heard of it until this forum . The entire idea is total lunacy , especially in a military Jeep . Imagine stopping a M-48 tank to fire , and the engine cuts off . Imagine stopping a recon Jeep in a thicket to avoid enemy , and the engine cuts off . Imagine landing a helicopter in a LZ , and the engine cuts off . Stupidest idea ever to cut off a functioning engine .
rofl its not a military vehicle.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
The reason why military is a good analogy , is because military is predicated on common sense . How about a submarine stopped while it fires a torpedo ; should it's engine cut off because it is stopped ? How about a civilian JK or JL 4-door stopped because of some sand or mud ; should it's engine cut off because it is stopped ? I fail to see any common sense in cutting off any engine because it is stopped . When you finish mowing one swath in a lawn , do you want your lawn mower engine to cut off ?

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I was not at all happy when I learned the 2018s had ESS. Now, I'm not so bothered by it because:

1) You can push a button to turn it off;
2) You can adjust your driving (brake pressure at stops) to control it, and in a manual (like mine) there is even more control;
3) The "mild-hybrid"/BSG which some say is coming in 2019 sounds even worse to me.

Just my opinion.

Sponsored

Freakshow

First Name
Davy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018- Wrangler JLUR, 2001- Ford F250 HD Crew V10
Vehicle Showcase
New to the party at JL Wrangler, but not to 4W'n, This is my first Jeep after having nothing but trucks and nothing new since 2001 and can I just say for the record how much I HATE the ESS auto start stop dis-feature!!! How stupid it is that WE can not choose to permanently turn it off. As one member said, it's my $$K jeep, let me choose!! I get that the auto makers need to play their little game to meet MPG, but come on!! It's a jeep!!! I haven't even tried yet... does it do this when you are in 4WD in an off-road situation?

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
New to the party at JL Wrangler, but not to 4W'n, This is my first Jeep after having nothing but trucks and nothing new since 2001 and can I just say for the record how much I HATE the ESS auto start stop dis-feature!!! How stupid it is that WE can not choose to permanently turn it off. As one member said, it's my $$K jeep, let me choose!! I get that the auto makers need to play their little game to meet MPG, but come on!! It's a jeep!!! I haven't even tried yet... does it do this when you are in 4WD in an off-road situation?
They play the game so they don’t get fined. But I agree, the ESS is stupid.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
can we get the dealer to just make it so it is off by default? like we would do if be had a tazer jl ?
Probably not... Even the TazerJL does it by having a device attached to the OBD2 port and changing the system setting each time the car starts.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe not yet, but I would not be surprised if it got adopted by some little country. I was in Taiwan a few years ago and saw quite a few Jeeps with some sort of extended height hard top in a parking lot. I think they were JK based.
taiwan-military-jeep.jpg

Now, on a side note... I've been to the area where this photo was taken and it is *very* flat. Why did they think that they needed to put chocks on every wheel?
Sponsored

Last edited: