First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
My JLUR is going in for the steering box on Wednesday. I have the LCAs ready to install, but not much time with many projects around the house and thinking about having the dealer install them while they are at it. However, I'd also like to see the difference the steering box makes on its own, then maybe do the LCAs a few weeks later.
Your problem is with the stock LCA length on your Rubicon. The new steering box is a nothing burger, but you'll see that clearer when the box is replaced and you are still on stock 24" LCAs.

It only cost me $100 (labor only) to have adjustable LCAs installed. Money WELL spent.
Sponsored

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
Hi,

When everyone installed their longer LCA's did you loosen and retorque the upper control arms?

And are those the same torque 190ft/lbs?

Regards,
Jim
No I did not touch the uppers only the lowers.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Your problem is with the stock LCA length on your Rubicon. The new steering box is a nothing burger, but you'll see that clearer when the box is replaced and you are still on stock 24" LCAs.

It only cost me $100 (labor only) to have adjustable LCAs installed. Money WELL spent.
At 60mph I can easily move the steering wheel side to side 2 inches or more each way without anything happening. That is what the steering box is supposed to correct.

LCAs = better castor and vehicle going in a straight line with less input

Steering box = better and quicker steering feel

Stabilizer (which they are doing to since it is a recall) = nothing burger ;)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just installed the MOPAR LCA on my stock JL Willys yesterday and it does track better at highway speeds. When installing the LCA I turned the wheel to make it easier the get to the front bolt and noticed that the bolt holes for the MOPAR LCA lined up without issue.

I also noticed that the MOPAR LCA weigh more than the stock LCA.
Yeah, the longer arms are quite a bit heavier, tells me they are thicker or reinforced vs. the stock ones, they are quite a bit heavier than just the extra 1/4" length they added for sure!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

My cast iron box was an improvement, it was almost a nothing burger until the heat was up. My Aluminum box had a lot of slop & play when the outside temp got over 100 degrees (was solid up until then), my new steel box is solid at all temps, so in that regard it's a big win!

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My cast iron box was an improvement, it was almost a nothing burger until the heat was up. My Aluminum box had a lot of slop & play when the outside temp got over 100 degrees (was solid up until then), my new steel box is solid at all temps, so in that regard it's a big win!
Brad, I didn't notice the temperature difference because it seems like it's ALWAYS over 100° here. :)

Thanks again for all of your help when I was struggling with my steering!

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
So am I to understand, that with my 2021 Sahara, which came with newer steel steering box, that I can add these LCA's to my still stock suspension and perhaps see a bit straighter highway drive? Mine is not bad but if for $60 I can make it better, even before I lift it, I might go ahead and do it...

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So am I to understand, that with my 2021 Sahara, which came with newer steel steering box, that I can add these LCA's to my still stock suspension and perhaps see a bit straighter highway drive? Mine is not bad but if for $60 I can make it better, even before I lift it, I might go ahead and do it...
You should measure your caster first (search this forum for specifics). If it's under 5° you will benefit from the longer LCAs. I'd use a free downloaded angle finder. I bought an analog tool and it wasn't as good. The issue is actually with Rubicons because they ride higher but still have the Sport/Sahara LCAs, but it doesn't hurt to check.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How much do you plan to lift it? I you're going no more than 2" those LCAs are the ticket. Like @rickinAZ mentioned, your stock caster is probably ok, and if you plan to lift more than 2" you'll want adjustable LCAs. If a 2" or less lift is for sure in your plans then yes, I'd go ahead and just get those LCAs, even if you caster is currently in the low 5s , adding an additional 1.5 degrees won't hurt, and you will notice better hwy manners.

Sponsored

Johnny2018

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
The 2” mopar lift kit comes with them and it nets people 2 plus in height. Should they be using adjustable arms?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
The 2” mopar lift kit comes with them and it nets people 2 plus in height. Should they be using adjustable arms?
It really is a bit short for the Mopar kit. The arms were set for a 2" lift, but the kit is well over 3" for most. Some have even said that they got 4" from it.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Most likely just going 2", quadratec has a 1.75" puck lift with Fox 2.0 shocks I've had my eye on. If I do I'll throw on the LCAs then. Problem is I have the 6sp, and the Sahara gearing (3.45) and odd 6sp ratios don't allow me to go too big with setup without a regear, which I was hoping to avoid. However, I'm looking at Toyo AT3 285-75-17 Load C, but feel I wont be happy with the performance then unless I go to 4.56 gears...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Most likely just going 2", quadratec has a 1.75" puck lift with Fox 2.0 shocks I've had my eye on. If I do I'll throw on the LCAs then. Problem is I have the 6sp, and the Sahara gearing (3.45) and odd 6sp ratios don't allow me to go too big with setup without a regear, which I was hoping to avoid. However, I'm looking at Toyo AT3 285-75-17 Load C, but feel I wont be happy with the performance then unless I go to 4.56 gears...
Yeah, at least you're keeping your expectations real, and know what you're up against. I think I'm going to get a Rubicon transfer case so when I off road I'll have a crawl ratio close to a Rubicon, I really want to avoid a regear (or invest any money into the smaller M186/200 axles) so this should accomplish what I want and only be out $1k, plus w/ the 8AT the 3.45s w/ 315/70/17s is ok w/ me (on the street, NOT on the trail). The 4:1 Rubicon Lo vs the Sport T-case w/ 2.73:1 Lo would go from a 44 crawl ratio to about 62 (with the Rubicon case), and the Rubicon is about 74 IIRC, so much better trail gearing :)

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
It really is a bit short for the Mopar kit. The arms were set for a 2" lift, but the kit is well over 3" for most. Some have even said that they got 4" from it.
I'm guessing most of the people that are getting 4 inches out of a 2 inch lift kit are also getting 7 inches out of 3.5! Just sayin' ;)
Sponsored