Nickz

Nickz

First Name
Yixuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus GX460; 2020 Mustang GT VB
Get the caster in the 6-7 degree range and that wandering/twitchy steering will go away.

I should of included that the stock Rubicon LCA's are the same length as the Sport's and Sahara's. BUT the Rubicon suspension is 1.5" higher, which is why the Rubicon's caster is too low stock. If you keep the Rubicon suspension height stock, the longer Mopar LCA's are a very economical way to get the caster correct. But if you then add another 1.5" of lift, you will need to add caster again by utilizing one of the three options I listed above.
I see, at first I thought this problem has some thing to do with these set of ATs
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
limeade,
What if I just install the geometry thing w/o the LCA will it do the job?
It will be better than it was. I believe most brackets are for 2" lifts, so it will work. But I've never used them myself.

I'm not a fan of the brackets, I'd rather get aftermarket control arms if the Jeep is going to be doing any off-roading.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Oh man I can't book mark it...
A simple way to do is to ask your offroad shop (I assume you are using one since you said you are newb) to confirm your caster, not full-blown alignment, just confirm. This will give you an idea what kind of numbers you are playing with.

Or you can get a $10 angle finder and measure the caster yourself, you can either measure it at the vertical plane of axle differential (easy) or at the C-joint (hard).

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I see, at first I thought this problem has some thing to do with these set of ATs
Nope. I can hit the speed limiter with my 37" Patagonia MT's and the steering is smooth and tracks straight.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks so much! I'll check out the geometry correction thing.
When I drove my JLUR home on the high way, I realized I can't track straight... I'm fearing for my life man, then I saw the speedo says 65 mph... I'm like ok, it's a jeep thing...
Cause I also drove a Mustang, useless to say but I'm gripping my JL's steering wheel for my life, but I can track Mustang straight on 90 with out sweating...
Lol I used to be in the exact same situation, but slowly I started to replace the steering components bit by bit and I can confidently say that at this point, my JL drives like a dream.
Things I’ve replaced in chronological order:

-Longer Mopar LCA (With Rubicon suspension swap)
-Fox factory ATS steering stabilizer
-JKS quicker sway bar disconnect
-Teraflex Falcon 2.1 shocks
-2” Synergy Coils
-Teraflex front adjustable track bar
-Metalcloak front LCA
-Metalcloak rear adjustable track bar
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA Question CB5450B8-1B55-4462-823C-F7E65E48FE55

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA Question EFA9053A-CF7A-45A8-9FC7-1FB71821EA11

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA Question 32E66679-0FA1-4921-8A77-9C56A2879C91

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA Question B1369740-B4B8-47BE-A1D9-9CE33D70A6DF

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA Question 3E10C90D-9AE3-4009-AECD-B4E201A397E2

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA Question F185B8C7-2E70-4B17-A9EE-A3DBE3F5B210

Last edited:

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Lol I used to be in the exact same situation, but slowly I started to replace the steering components bit by bit and I can confidently say that at this point, my JL drives like a dream.

-2” Synergy Coils
-Metalcloak front LCA
I was reading through older threads and, iirc, back when you had the Rubi takeoff suspension, 1/2” spacers, and Mopar LCA’s your caster was at 6.7*, right?

OP
OP
Nickz

Nickz

First Name
Yixuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will be better than it was. I believe most brackets are for 2" lifts, so it will work. But I've never used them myself.

I'm not a fan of the brackets, I'd rather get aftermarket control arms if the Jeep is going to be doing any off-roading.
em i see

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

-2” Synergy Coils
-Metalcloak front LCA

None of the things you listed are steering components. I mean I guess you could say the stabilizer is a steering component but that's a stretch at best. Everything else are suspension components.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
100% against people accepting poor handling under the guise of “its a Jeep thing” these are now like higher end suvs and when correctly build handle as well or better than similarly priced suvs. You’re on the right path getting the caster corrected, please don’t accept bad driving characteristics as normal.

Brett
I totally agree, I had a jlur that wandered like a '65 Econoline van with a bad steering box.. It sucked! Lucky for me the electrical system went bat shot crazy at 22days and FCA bought it back.
My "redo" is a '19 and the wife has a '20 that are both very well behaved and track true and straight without a hint of wobble or bump steer. (Of course in windy conditions is a little unnerving) Mine has a Metalcloak 3.5 GC with drag link and the tie rod. Still handles great but the ride is a touch tougher than stock.

Bottom line, nobody should drive in fear, it's not a Jeep thing. If mods were made then it needs to be fixed. Find a good shop that specializes in such things and get it fixed.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re running high tire pressure like up around 40psi it comes from the dealership with, this will also be adding to the squirrelly steering. Put your pressure at 30-32 psi, and give that a try.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Mine w/ Rubi swap & Mopar LCAs is almost a "no hands on the wheel" drive going down the hwy at speed. Actually tracks just a bit better than it did stock since my caster prior was in the mid 5s and is now about 6 degrees.

And since it's a shorty 2dr I must say I'm very pleased w/ how well it steers :)

OP
OP
Nickz

Nickz

First Name
Yixuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you’re running high tire pressure like up around 40psi it comes from the dealership with, this will also be adding to the squirrelly steering. Put your pressure at 30-32 psi, and give that a try.
I see totally forget about the pressure... Thanks!:like:

OP
OP
Nickz

Nickz

First Name
Yixuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Following plex's suggestioin, I think I'll go with the synergy track bar and shaft brace.
Do you guys think this way it will fix the problem?
Sponsored