First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I would say from start to D is usually under 20 seconds. If itā€™s well below zero I will allow for about a minute of warm up, but thatā€™s mostly for butt warmers more than worrying about an engine.
You live in TX so not the cold we're talking about :clap:

I agree with the never a bad idea for an engine to let it idle 30 to 60 seconds after start before putting it under load. Modern oils and engines are pretty good; but allowing them to get oil flowing while under low load will help longevity. How much who knows.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So if someone makes a comment about how beholden the R's are to Oil/Gas/Coal that's okay too? Just askin'...;)
I have no problem with that. We're on a Jeep forum so we're all not too worried about burning dead dinosaurs and poor fuel economy. If so we would all be at the Tesla forum and our get togethers would not be in some mud pit but at the local Starbucks.

I will resist the urge to go political, except the statement that what's going on is sad and a disgrace from both sides. I was at Mount Vernon today and you can hear George Washington turning over in his tomb over the way this countries political system is behaving and how we've lost focusing on moving forward to be better and do great things.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You live in TX so not the cold we're talking about :clap:

I agree with the never a bad idea for an engine to let it idle 30 to 60 seconds after start before putting it under load. Modern oils and engines are pretty good; but allowing them to get oil flowing while under low load will help longevity. How much who knows.
Hahaha grew up near Chicago, I was thinking back to that time. Haha, but yes in Texas I consider remote start essential for heating when itā€™s below 70.

Sponsored

sudeepi

First Name
Durga Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara UL, 2014 Honda CR-V
Ok, I can see the argument of that article. BUT, with DI the fuel timing is so precise that fuel can be injected so that it doesn't "wash away" oil on the cylinder walls. And furthermore, many modern engine have piston oil nozzles to cool and lube pistons which some of that oil undoubtedly gets on the cylinder walls.

IMO I believe its a bigger issue to environmentalists than it is to an engines overall longevity.

I am not trying to debate one way or the other. When its real cold, 0* or less, I idle my vehicles for at least 5 min whether its good for them or not I dont care, I want my seats warmed. Most other times I do not idle because gas isn't free.
Well, during cold starts, there is more fuel injected and when you rev during cold starts and take off, a lot of fuel is unnecessary used (you can see more smoke coming out during first 1-3 minutes). That should be a bigger concern to those environmentalists. So, idling for first couple of minutes is better than revving in the first few seconds - good for any car and environment and of course, the cabin gets comfortably warm.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Well, during cold starts, there is more fuel injected and when you rev during cold starts and take off, a lot of fuel is unnecessary used (you can see more smoke coming out during first 1-3 minutes). That should be a bigger concern to those environmentalists. So, idling for first couple of minutes is better than revving in the first few seconds - good for any car and environment and of course, the cabin gets comfortably warm.
White Exhaust=Steam, Black Exhaust= Smoke. I doubt there is a JL old enough to smoke 1-3 minutes on start-up. Revving the first few seconds after a cold start is not good for any motor, ever.

Also to minimize pollution, you want the motor (specifically the catalytic converter) to heat up as quickly as possible. This is most effectively done by... driving the vehicle.

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019 JLUR
Start engine, maybe let idle for 30 seconds to ensure oil is flowing well, then go. MOST importantly, take it easy on the skinny pedal until the oil is up to temp, about 180 degrees. Don't fire it up after a night if 0 degrees and immediately go for your best quarter mile time!
but is the oil flowing well at cold temps..... especially as tight as the journals are being made these days ?? i always let my car warm until the temp gauge starts to move... then drive.... thats just me.....

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
As another member mentioned. Start, Run 30-60 secs for oil circulation, and go but take it easy until itā€™s warmed up. Your piston skirts can get scuffed beating on them cold.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
but is the oil flowing well at cold temps..... especially as tight as the journals are being made these days ?? i always let my car warm until the temp gauge starts to move... then drive.... thats just me.....
With today's synthetics, and running 0W-20, I'm not too worried about flow during cold startups. But, I'd still get the oil up to 180 before stomping on the gas, and if I didn't have an oil temp gauge, I'd wait roughly double the time it took for the coolant to get to temp, maybe triple. Even though I live in FL, I travel up north quite a bit - even had to dig my '13 mustange GT out of ice once. ;)

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I donā€™t care. I remote start mine and let it run until it shuts off. Then I do it again when Iā€™m walking out to it.

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
Grew up in Canada, I've seen it down to -42F. I could idle my 1992 Saturn SL2 for an hour and it still wouldn't warm up the cab, as there wasn't enough heat being generated.

I always started the engine, took the time to remove snow or ice, adjusted things, and got on the road and drove moderately until the engine was at operating temperature. It warms up the engine quicker with a load versus no load. I've never destroyed an engine, ever (my ex-g/f, that's another story :D )

JP18
Exactly this - and I too, grew up in Canada (Eastern Canada) - no point in idling in the cold for long - the above outline is great. :like:

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly this - and I too, grew up in Canada (Eastern Canada) - no point in idling in the cold for long - the above outline is great. :like:
whereabouts in Eastern Canada? I'm in NB
Sponsored