Sponsored

Is there a way to reduce turbo lag on the 2.0T?

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I don't have any turbo lag it's trans lag. If I hit it the trans lags but I spool up quick as fuc

Hi, I am looking at the the Burger JB4 and the DV+ as options. After an hour of searching, I can only find occasional posts of "... seems like less lag...".
So, has anyone installed a product that has significantly reduced turbo lag on there 2.0T?
Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
There's a little bit of turbo lag, but I don't think it's the devil everyone thinks it is. The motor makes torque without boost. It just makes a lot more with boost, so when boost comes in it's a big difference.

Also, I think what people are perceiving as turbo lag is actually throttle lag. It's an electronic throttle and opens when the computer tells it to regardless of where your foot is on the pedal. This is probably by design and better for offroad. Bouncing around in the seat you're bound to be a little jerky on the pedal. The computer smooths that out for us keeping even power going to the wheels. Pedal mapping can be changed by an aftermarket tune or a "pedal commander" type device. I really only notice it from a dead stop and there are very few times where I need to mash it from a dead stop. If it bothered me I'd change it, but it doesn't. So far offroad it seems to be more of a benefit so I'm leaving it as-is.

For those who hate it, consider one of the many pedal mappers out on the market. Read the reviews. A lot of people say it "cures" turbo lag (not just jeeps). That also goes to show it's not actually turbo lag, but drivability is subjective. So, if you perceive better drivability then that's all that matters!

J. Creeper

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
For me, I honestly can't tell if what I feel is "lag" or not. When I put a foot into it, I feel what seems like two separate downshifts but there is very little lag between them. This is the first turbo I've owned and, frankly, the only thing I'm missing is that I was looking forward to hearing it spool up a bit more, but it's pretty quiet.
Try using a 93 Top Tier Gas. Most gas stations have a blue sticker on the pump itself “Top Tier”. It’s possible you’ve gotten some bad gas. It takes maybe two or three tanks to improve the issue. If that doesn’t work I’d definitely see the dealer or a reputable off-road automotive shop.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
There's a little bit of turbo lag, but I don't think it's the devil everyone thinks it is. The motor makes torque without boost. It just makes a lot more with boost, so when boost comes in it's a big difference.

Also, I think what people are perceiving as turbo lag is actually throttle lag. It's an electronic throttle and opens when the computer tells it to regardless of where your foot is on the pedal. This is probably by design and better for offroad. Bouncing around in the seat you're bound to be a little jerky on the pedal. The computer smooths that out for us keeping even power going to the wheels. Pedal mapping can be changed by an aftermarket tune or a "pedal commander" type device. I really only notice it from a dead stop and there are very few times where I need to mash it from a dead stop. If it bothered me I'd change it, but it doesn't. So far offroad it seems to be more of a benefit so I'm leaving it as-is.

For those who hate it, consider one of the many pedal mappers out on the market. Read the reviews. A lot of people say it "cures" turbo lag (not just jeeps). That also goes to show it's not actually turbo lag, but drivability is subjective. So, if you perceive better drivability then that's all that matters!
Bingo. It’s a small twin scroll turbo with 28 psi and peak torque by 3k…there’s no considerable lag there lol. It’s the throttle by wire on an off-road vehicle.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Yeah, it's definitely a programming issue. My 2.0T in manual mode does not experience the double-downshift or lazy downshift problem.
Sponsored