www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

It literally takes a whole 30seconds to get the drain plug off… why add a valve to break off?
Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sorry I know this thread is about the Fumoto, but since some are interjecting about others, just wanted to make my observation/input on the Stahlbus.

I have it installed and was able to use it for the first time this past oil change. First impression, what a breeze, clean and as advertised (as I thought). Then I closed it up and added my 5 qts oil thinking everything was fully drained. When I poured the drained oil into the emptied new oil container, it did not fill back to 5 qts. It looked like about 1 more qt could go into the container. As another forum member mentioned in the post I stated about this, he stated that it will not drain all the oil.

SO on my next oil change, I will use the Stahlbus again and then when all the oil seems to have been drained, I will unscrew out the Stahlbus to see if that remaining qt drains or see if I am burning oil.

If the case is more oil comes out, I will move to the Fumoto as I unfortunately won’t be doing any wheeling any time soon.
🙁 Disappointing. But looking at the geometry of the pan-plug, it looks like any protrusion into the pan, by the quick drain, creates a certain amount of undrainable oil.
It literally takes a whole 30seconds to get the drain plug off… why add a valve to break off?
I just had full Artec skids installed. There is a small oval hole you're supposed to drain the oil thru. :CWL: It's just an engineered mess.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
I bought the N and had the dealer install it after my last oil change.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

🙁 Disappointing. But looking at the geometry of the pan-plug, it looks like any protrusion into the pan, by the quick drain, creates a certain amount of undrainable oil.

I just had full Artec skids installed. There is a small oval hole you're supposed to drain the oil thru. :CWL: It's just an engineered mess.
I have the full EVO skids and have the same problem

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Sorry I know this thread is about the Fumoto, but since some are interjecting about others, just wanted to make my observation/input on the Stahlbus.

I have it installed and was able to use it for the first time this past oil change. First impression, what a breeze, clean and as advertised (as I thought). Then I closed it up and added my 5 qts oil thinking everything was fully drained. When I poured the drained oil into the emptied new oil container, it did not fill back to 5 qts. It looked like about 1 more qt could go into the container. As another forum member mentioned in the post I stated about this, he stated that it will not drain all the oil.

SO on my next oil change, I will use the Stahlbus again and then when all the oil seems to have been drained, I will unscrew out the Stahlbus to see if that remaining qt drains or see if I am burning oil.

If the case is more oil comes out, I will move to the Fumoto as I unfortunately won’t be doing any wheeling any time soon.
I had a stahlbus and saw this exact same thing, at first I thought I was burning oil too, I might have even posted about it. Swapped back to the regular drain plug and all is good. This looks like it's the story with all of these valves that are threaded in, 1/2" or so of thread into the pan will hold back an awful lot of oil.

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
I had a stahlbus and saw this exact same thing, at first I thought I was burning oil too, I might have even posted about it. Swapped back to the regular drain plug and all is good. This looks like it's the story with all of these valves that are threaded in, 1/2" or so of thread into the pan will hold back an awful lot of oil.
I didnt even think about it holding back oil too. So I will def stick with the old fashion way of just pulling the bolt. Thank you everyone for your responses and enlightenment.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Precisely why I selected the Fumoto valve over the multi-piece ValvoMax "system". I don't want to faff about with compulsory, extraneous crap. I just want to drain the oil.
Well, to be fair, there are a bunch of tools I need to do one thing on the jeep. Torx for HT, wheel lug lock, spacers for my jack to lift the thing, specific tool for removing plate from spare, Allen keys for diff covers and so on. It's not like you'll need to do a surprise oil change. Lol. I just keep my Valvomax hose in the cubby in a ziplock along side my OEM drain plug with everything else that's specific to just driving this pig. Lol.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Well...because 100% of us have made a mess with oil changes - it's a rite-of-passage. But, after that life experience, you realize that there has never, ever been a recorded case of a Jeep's Fumoto getting sheared off by a rock. So...why put up with the mess? :)

All of that said, if you can tolerate the mess, stay with the drain plug.

BTW, there was once a poster on here who steered clear of Fumoto out of fear of a vandal draining his oil in the middle of the night as a "prank". While farfetched, that is a more likely consequence than rock damage.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I too have noticed that the oil jug doesn’t look full when the the hot oil is drained into it. I think it is the hot oil softens up the plastic and allows it to expand. The dipstick always shows full after the refill with five quarts.

With the Fumoto valve I believe any oil that is held in the pan after draining by the valve is insignificant. YMMV
Gregj

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I too have noticed that the oil jug doesn’t look full when the the hot oil is drained into it. I think it is the hot oil softens up the plastic and allows it to expand. The dipstick always shows full after the refill with five quarts.

With the Fumoto valve I believe any oil that is held in the pan after draining by the valve is insignificant. YMMV
Gregj
More then once, I have actually pulled a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve from a TJ/JK/JL oil pan immediately after draining the oil.

Probably a shot glass or so of oil came out (if that) after the Fumoto was pulled.

Fumoto Oil Drain Valves have been used on vehicles, etc. since 1976 when Fumoto's first hit the marketplace.

I have used them on Jeeps, Trucks, Airplanes, Heavy Equipment, etc, since 1984.

I know I have followed Fumoto talk on Jeep forums and other vehicle forums for many years.. I don't remember ever reading where someone reported an issue with a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.

Last edited:

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
None of the above.

I've used fumoto valves for decades. They are top quality items. However, I was a little concerned about how much they all seem to stick out.

It's probably nothing and would not cause a problem. But there is no reason to even roll the dice when there is a competitor that makes a product that is very very low profile.

Femco valves achieve the same thing in a totally different way and are also in heavy use by fleet operators. However, the Femco compact sticks out from the oil pan no more than the stock plug.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fumoto Valve 1671986673853

Considering how far up these oil pans are, if anyone is worried about hitting their Fumoto valve on a rock, maybe they ought to worry more about developing their driving skills, and learn to pick better lines...
Just sayin 😉
When we assess risk, we consider 2 factors.
1)How likely is it that this will occur
2) how severe are the consequences of this failure.

I'd suggest that the chance is very low. But the consequences are severe. So the risk is enough that some people who off road may want to consider similar quality alternatives that don't stick out nearly as far.

I'd never buy anything for this purpose from Amazon. I've bought my Fumoto valves always from fumotousa.com. Then I know I'm getting a real Japanese product, not a Chinese knock off.
Sponsored