Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
@brazos
So, you are leaving the fob with battery in it, in your JL, 24/7, year round and it is there and not in a Faraday Bag or wrapped in tin foil ?

If so go back and read the forum "archives" as you call them. 8-)
Ok. I’ll just go ahead and read the entire forum again. Uh...no I won’t.
Why don’t you just tell me why that’s a bad idea?
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I think Mr. Rhinebeck is concerned @brazos that leaving your un-shielded fob in the rig, allows anyone who breaks in to simply push the start button and be on their way if you haven't armed the JL; the safety of your locale duly noted.

If you have armed it, I imagine, if you don't hide the fob, the thief would have to disarm the vehicle first, as would you if you just use the physical key for entry.

I honestly don't know how often the JL pings the fob. If it does more frequently than on startup you may tax the fob battery without the following:

I do agree with him that this shielding bag (known as a Faraday bag ) is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Dark...b+faraday+bag&qid=1554505357&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I'd recommend its use along with hiding the fob when taking your JL to parts more likely to incur auto theft if you want to continue with this physical Jeep key around the neck way.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I think Mr. Rhinebeck is concerned @brazos that leaving your un-shielded fob in the rig, allows anyone who breaks in to simply push the start button and be on their way if you haven't armed the JL; the safety of your locale duly noted.

If you have armed it, I imagine, if you don't hide the fob, the thief would have to disarm the vehicle first, as would you if you just use the physical key for entry.

I honestly don't know how often the JL pings the fob. If it does more frequently than on startup you may tax the fob battery without the following:

I do agree with him that this shielding bag (known as a Faraday bag ) is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Dark...b+faraday+bag&qid=1554505357&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I'd recommend its use along with hiding the fob when taking your JL to parts more likely to incur auto theft if you want to continue with this physical Jeep key around the neck way.
Thank you for your explanation, Rahneld. I’m aware of the greater possibility of theft, and as I said, I keep the fob in the console, not in plain sight. It’s my risk, and my choice, I reckon. As I said, the risk of car theft is almost nonexistent in my town. Even so, I always lock my doors.
The battery drain issue seems unlikely to be a problem with a vehicle which is driven daily, it seems to me.
I want to learn, though. If I’m wrong about or missing something, I’ll be grateful for correction. Thanks!

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Got the bag Rhinebeck01 suggested from Amazon. Works like a charm. I’m even considering ordering their large generator bag to store our WEN inverter generator as a precaution against the inevitable EMP attack coming from NK or China or whoever.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thank you for your explanation, Rahneld. I’m aware of the greater possibility of theft, and as I said, I keep the fob in the console, not in plain sight. It’s my risk, and my choice, I reckon. As I said, the risk of car theft is almost nonexistent in my town. Even so, I always lock my doors.
The battery drain issue seems unlikely to be a problem with a vehicle which is driven daily, it seems to me.
I want to learn, though. If I’m wrong about or missing something, I’ll be grateful for correction. Thanks!
I hear you @brazos. As said, it's your risk. Just some food for thought:

What if you, for example, you attached your fob to one of those devices we put on our belt buckle with the extendable/retractable cord for our "company's ID security badge" and stuck it under the trim near the starter button? 3M industrial double stick tape comes to mind.

Once installed, you could reach under there, pull out the fob and disarm the rig or start it if the fob battery is dead, with perhaps even less work on your part than reaching into the console: the first guess of where someone might "hide" their fob, along with the glove box: either of which isn't a bad place if you lock it. "The time it takes to steal is often a thief's enemy." If you arm the rig in a less than safe place...it's also your time to unlock these places and shut off the noisy alarm.

I guess my point is the minimal extra effort of better hiding the fob might be worth the additional security to your rig when you park it outside your locale AND make it easier for you to get to the fob.

Again--just a suggestion...It's your property and you know your locale's safety best. :- )

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I hear you @brazos. As said, it's your risk. Just some food for thought:

What if you, for example, you attached your fob to one of those devices we put on our belt buckle with the extendable/retractable cord for our "company's ID security badge" and stuck it under the trim near the starter button? 3M industrial double stick tape comes to mind.

Once installed, you could reach under there, pull out the fob and disarm the rig or start it if the fob battery is dead, with perhaps even less work on your part than reaching into the console: the first guess of where someone might "hide" their fob, along with the glove box: either of which isn't a bad place if you lock it. "The time it takes to steal is often a thief's enemy." If you arm the rig in a less than safe place...it's also your time to unlock these places and shut off the noisy alarm.

I guess my point is the minimal extra effort of better hiding the fob might be worth the additional security to your rig when you park it outside your locale AND make it easier for you to get to the fob.

Again--just a suggestion...It's your property and you know your locale's safety best. :- )

~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks. I should have mentioned that my JLU Sport doesn’t have power lock remote start, proximity entry, or anything else like that.
My fob has only one button: the mechanical one which releases the key.
I’m not even sure if it has a battery in it. I suspect it must though.
I’ve read here that even a dead fob will start the engine if touched to the start button. If that’s true, I don’t really care if my fob battery goes dead or not.
Actually it might be a plus, as many thieves wouldn’t know to touch the fob to the button, especially here in my small town, where any car theif is likely a joyriding teenager.
On the rare occasion that I drive into Dallas (130 miles), I’m much more
security-conscious.
If anyone can clear up the issue with my fob battery, though, I’d be grateful.
If leaving the fob in the Jeep puts me at risk of a vehicle that won’t start, I’ll stop doing that.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Ok, just figured it out. I popped my fob apart, removed the battery, and tried to start it with fob in console.
No dice.
Touched fob to start button, got a prompt to push button with fob.
Did so. Vroom!
Now I can happily see how long it takes a battery to die when left in the Jeep without worry of being stranded.
All good!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Got the bag Rhinebeck01 suggested from Amazon. Works like a charm. I’m even considering ordering their large generator bag to store our WEN inverter generator as a precaution against the inevitable EMP attack coming from NK or China or whoever.
Iain-Alexander-Ing_3337616b.jpg

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
If leaving the fob in the Jeep puts me at risk of a vehicle that won’t start, I’ll stop doing that.
I'd guess, security reasons for most people not doing this (given both more equipped JLs and more dangerous areas) that leaving the fob in your JL outside of a Faraday bag won't wear down the battery.

I don't think the JL is pinging it except when you push the start button, successfully crank it and remain in park, or after you've lost the fob and turn the rig off.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Roaniecowpony

Hey, that foil hat should help protect your brain when the EMP comes. I'll have to make me one of those.
But that plane's going down like a ton of bricks.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
As said before, WHY all this???

I guess if you locked your Jeep with the key fob in it by accident this would be helpful. Why ever would you leave an active fob on purpose in your rig??? You cannot start the Jeep w/o the fob!!! Sounds like almost everyone here needs a subscription to Uconnect or SiriusXM Guardian (same thing I think) so you guys can open and start your rigs by phone or computer?? ( I know pretty pricey!) lol

Go Jeep!!!
I've lost security keys before. I put my keys in the little tool bag under my mountain bike seat and forgot to zipper it. Got back to the trail head and found the key missing. Hide-a-key had a "valet" key in it. I was able to unlock the doors but was unable to start the car. Tried to call roadside assistance. No cell service.
All this rigmarole is necessary since we need a way to get into the car, and also need a fob to start the car. So we need both a spare key and a fob hidden somewhere inside the jeep.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Anyone know what the battery type is and how many are in the FOB? I'd like to keep a few extra in my faraday bag.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
The size of fob never really being a problem, I just took the key out and run with a ring in my pocket. Jeep, house, garage and club. No fob opening in my pocket

Attach8125_20190511_071852.jpg

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

cosmokenney