Sponsored

"Key fob battery low" message--buttonless key fob

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
Not sure what to think. 2020 JL 6 speed manual just had oil change and 5-tire rotation Thursday at about 9600 miles. This morning I see a message "Key fob battery low".

My key fob is buttonless. I have manual locks. Color me confused.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Not sure what to think. 2020 JL 6 speed manual just had oil change and 5-tire rotation Thursday at about 9600 miles. This morning I see a message "Key fob battery low".

My key fob is buttonless. I have manual locks. Color me confused.
@linux_guy

Your buttonless, factory key fob has a battery. Change the battery ..... could just be coincidence you are seeing the message now after tire rotation.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/🪛-fob-101-know-thy-jl-key-fob🪛.88719/

Also, do check out @Threedom's custom buttonless fobs for the JL/JT. They are really slick... and have retractable key...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/🔥-🧨-sport-owners-threedom-model-s-sport-buttonless-retractable-key.82942/
Jeep Wrangler JL "Key fob battery low"  message--buttonless key fob received_1219428575270149

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
Linux_guy, ALL key fobs have a battery in them, to allow the vehicle to sense the RFID chip's frequency (at relatively close range) in order to allow the push-button start to function. Even the fobs for Jeeps with strictly manual locks have a battery, as I, like you, have as well.

That said, that doesn't mean that you can't operate the Jeep without a battery in the fob. In that case, you can just touch the head of the fob to the push button, and it will start right up. You will in that case get a message on your dash saying "Key Fob battery is low", and/or "Key fob has left the vehicle", but you can clear those messages by just hitting the central "OK" button on the left side of your steering wheel.

Note, however, that if you use the fob without a battery, or even if you put it in your pocket after starting the Jeep and then leave the vehicle and close the door for any reason while it is still running, you will get a VERY annoying series of three horn honks.
Sponsored