Key Fob battery gave out.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
What was the warning sign that the battery was dying? (So we know.)
Mine just said something like, "Key Fob not detected inside vehicle." Or something like that.

Even on the screen it shows a pic of the fob pusheg against the start button.

20191215_141521.jpg

I just have the Sport S, and not the top of the.line electronics package, like on the Rubicons. So, mine doesnt show all the fancy pictures.
But, I do know how to start it with the Fob, and a dead battery, but Mine wasnt even reading the proximity of the Fob. So, almost being late to work, and still at the house, I just grabbed the spare Fob. No need to risk anything, if the Fob just happened to be defective. The new battery did the trick. I picked up a spare battery, knowing the other might need changing soon.
I sure felt better knowing it was just a battery problem. If it was a FOB issue, that would have cost a lot. Or, a lot of time.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
the key fob not detected message isn't dead battery its a Firmware update. now before you say changing the battery worked and yes it will but only for a few months and why i say this my mother has a Fiat 500x and it had the same problem. i changed the battery in the fob twice within 2 months because it kept on dieing the 3rd time it went out i went down the dealership for oil change taking now my dead fob with me and found out it was the fob not the battery it needed a firmware update. now 1 year later it has no problems. also if you keep your fobs close to the car it will drain them faster. because the car keeps on pinging the fob over and over again. so take the fob to the dealer and see if there is a firmware update for your car. and on a side note they lost one of my fob for my jeep before i took delivery of it and just last week they found it so now i have 3 fobs.

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
There is a small chip in the fob that is completely separate from the battery. It’s what is recognized by the starter button in the event of a dead battery.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
the key fob not detected message isn't dead battery its a Firmware update. now before you say changing the battery worked and yes it will but only for a few months and why i say this my mother has a Fiat 500x and it had the same problem. i changed the battery in the fob twice within 2 months because it kept on dieing the 3rd time it went out i went down the dealership for oil change taking now my dead fob with me and found out it was the fob not the battery it needed a firmware update. now 1 year later it has no problems. also if you keep your fobs close to the car it will drain them faster. because the car keeps on pinging the fob over and over again. so take the fob to the dealer and see if there is a firmware update for your car. and on a side note they lost one of my fob for my jeep before i took delivery of it and just last week they found it so now i have 3 fobs.
Did they need both fobs, to reset the Firmware?? I guess I will bring it up when I take it in for a free oil change. Thanks for the helpful info.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
yea i brought both with me and it was like the car forgot that the fob went with it.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Of course you have a battery. It's always broadcasting a signal. This is how you are able to start the engine.
I don't think it works that way. I believe the vehicle transmits a very local signal to ping the FOB smart chip. When the smart chip receives the ping, it activates a reply signal with the encrypted code to allow starting when you push the button.
Sponsored