Key fob is low quality.

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Somim new to Wranglers and I love my new Sahara but I have some minor complaints.

1) for what these vehicles go for, it’s silly that the proximity key isn’t a standard option. It was on our odyssey in the medium trim. It’s just a a way to nickel and dime more money from buyers.

2) the key fob feels cheap and is way too large. Seriously, they should have made it half the size and made it better quality. It always is flipping open in my pocket and the plastic feels cheap. It’s just a minor thing but again for the price they could have made a better choice.
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Somim new to Wranglers and I love my new Sahara but I have some minor complaints.

1) for what these vehicles go for, it’s silly that the proximity key isn’t a standard option. It was on our odyssey in the medium trim. It’s just a a way to nickel and dime more money from buyers.

2) the key fob feels cheap and is way too large. Seriously, they should have made it half the size and made it better quality. It always is flipping open in my pocket and the plastic feels cheap. It’s just a minor thing but again for the price they could have made a better choice.
Proximity functionality is an option, there's not much more to it than that. It's highly possible previous Jeep owners better relate to just how much additional technology and engineering has gone into our JL's. This is Jeep number 5 for me and the differences, even since my JK, are significant. Don't even get me started on the differences since my first (4-Cyl, No A/C, Crank Windows, Snap on Soft Top). While I'd like to have the proximity feature, I actually chose a model without it. It's definitely a personal preference - cost/benefit.

As for the Key FOB, have you noticed how well it works when far from your Jeep? I've never had a FOB work from the distance this thing does. It's unique, though I do agree it's quite large.

Glad you're enjoying your Jeep.

Last edited:

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Mine keeps popping the key open & setting off the panic alarm.. yes, it could be improved

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's big and boxy like the jeep. Have you noticed that it is the shape of a "jerry can"?

Why do they call it a jerry can?
Second World War. Western desert army slang for German liquid containers; hence 'jerry cans'. The allied army used them in preference to the army issue as the jerry can's ribbed design made it less prone to leaking in the onerous conditions.

213243m6_ts.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Proximity functionality is an option, there's not much more to it than that. It's highly possible previous Jeep owners better relate to just how much additional technology and engineering has gone into our JL's. This is Jeep number 5 for me and the differences, even since my JK, are significant. Don't even get me started on the differences since my first (4-Cyl, No A/C, Crank Windows, Snap on Soft Top). While I'd like to have the proximity feature, I actually chose a model without it. It's definitely a personal preference - cost/benefit.

As for the Key FOB, have you noticed how well it works when far from your Jeep? I've never had a FOB work from the distance this thing does. It's unique, though I do agree it's quite large.

Glad you're enjoying your Jeep.
Yeah, there is a lot of tech in the Jeep for sure. But this just feels like something that should have been standard.

As far as it working from a distance. I haven’t noticed but I haven’t really tested it either. I just feel it’s a lower quality plastic than what I’m used to. It’s minor for sure but my preference would have been a smaller more dense plastic or metal fob.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
It seems a bit big. My wife's sienna key is like half the size and has a proximity sensor in it.

The Jeep one doesn't feel cheap at all to me. Why better feel than Toyota ones. It also works from a farther distance.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Y’all got tiny hands! Fits my hand well, and to keep it from opening in my pocket I have a holster from Gibson Leatherworks.:like:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Yep, bought his holster as well . Works great.
Actually I have two. The belt clip, and the clipless. Love them both, just depends what I’m wearing as to how I want to carry it.

1995YJ

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ Rio Grande, 2018 JL Sport S 3.6L 6 Spd
Occupation
Firefighter
It’s a Jeep and you bought a wrangler, well a 4 door version. Coming from a YJ I enjoy the refinement and some of those silly options.
Sponsored