Sponsored

Fobless key

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Followed the links for both the spare key and pouch. Locksmith charged me $40. Works like a charm - in/out with key w/o alarm, no fob detected when in bag, starts right up when removed.

This is the perfect set-up if you surf, jog, ski, etc - nice, thin, light mechanical key for access that doesn't impact activities.
Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
locking your JL without arming the alarm system:
leave the keyfob either away from vehicle or hidden inside in a radio blocking bag,
lock all doors from inside,
open driver door manually unlocking the door,
lock the driver door using a key blade.

return to vehicle after any activity without the keyfob such as swimming, use key blade to unlock door. the alarm will not go off.
get out your hidden keyfob and start the Jeep.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Thanks. Also, I bought this on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H8Q9G5 (kinda sorta related). KeyFob fits perfectly. Keeps the manual key from accidentally popping out. And has the JEEP logo on it.
I could really use this since I never take my key fob out of my pocket all day. I have the proximity so i just touch the door handles and it unlocks and just push the little button and it locks. Most of the time i have gone weeks without ever taken the fob out of my pocket. Only time i do is the door key opens up so this would be perfect. just wish it was a little more cool looking lol I look but didn't see any others that look cooler then this one here lol

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
locking your JL without arming the alarm system:
leave the keyfob either away from vehicle or hidden inside in a radio blocking bag,
lock all doors from inside,
open driver door manually unlocking the door,
lock the driver door using a key blade.

return to vehicle after any activity without the keyfob such as swimming, use key blade to unlock door. the alarm will not go off.
get out your hidden keyfob and start the Jeep.
I fyou are going be far a way from your jeep like gone hiking where dont see your jeep why would would you not want the alarm on so others might hear it and make the person breaking into it leave

Jeffrey67

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 1968 Corvette 427, 1967 Corvette 327, 2 Harleys.
Occupation
Dentist
I used to keep a spare key in a magnetic holder under the hood of my JK. (Hidden under the insulation) I'd like to do the same with my JL. Can I start and drive with a key without a chip? What about the alarm? I'm guessing no.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I used to keep a spare key in a magnetic holder under the hood of my JK. (Hidden under the insulation) I'd like to do the same with my JL. Can I start and drive with a key without a chip? What about the alarm? I'm guessing no.
@Jeffrey67

With your JL, you would hide a key like you did with the JK... and you would also have to stash a working JL Fob inside the JL in a Faraday Bag.

You'd open the JL with the key, then retrieve the fob from the Faraday Bag and use that to start the JL, etc..

As for the JL alarm... IF you had locked the JL with the key, the alarm will not sound if you then open the door with the key..

IF, you locked the JL with the fob lock button or proximity lock button, on the door then the alarm will sound when you go to unlock with the unchipped key.

Were you to sound the alarm you open the door and quickly grab the fob in the JL and turn off the alarm..

I have a key stashed and a fob in a Faraday Bag stashed in my JL. Been doing this for 10+ months now.

Jeffrey67

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 1968 Corvette 427, 1967 Corvette 327, 2 Harleys.
Occupation
Dentist
@Jeffrey67

With your JL, you would hide a key like you did with the JK... and you would also have to stash a working JL Fob inside the JL in a Faraday Bag.

You'd open the JL with the key, then retrieve the fob from the Faraday Bag and use that to start the JL, etc..

As for the JL alarm... IF you had locked the JL with the key, the alarm will not sound if you then open the door with the key..

IF, you locked the JL with the fob lock button or proximity lock button, on the door then the alarm will sound when you go to unlock with the unchipped key.

Were you to sound the alarm you open the door and quickly grab the fob in the JL and turn off the alarm..

I have a key stashed and a fob in a Faraday Bag stashed in my JL. Been doing this for 10+ months now.

Awesome. Thank you.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I think the real Jeep deal is kind of a running joke on this whole forum. That and some guys want to show their manhood by declaring to the world what a bare bones Jeep they can do with. Me, my manhood does just fine so I drive around in a fully loaded Sahara and enjoy the hell out of it.
I drive a barebones Wrangler Sport, not to show off my manhood but because I wasn’t willing to pay any more $ for a two door, bang-around SUV that is an alternative to my other, equally used vehicle( 2018 Sienna awd.) The Wrangler is basically a tool to me. That’s just my situation. Other’s may be and probably are different.

Jeffrey67

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dentist
Awesome. Thank you.
Why can't I simply put the fob in the Faraday Bag under the hood? No extra key needed. I kept my spare JK key in a magnetic key holder, between the hood insulation and the hood.

Reactions: LS7

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why can't I simply put the fob in the Faraday Bag under the hood? No extra key needed. I kept my spare JK key in a magnetic key holder, between the hood insulation and the hood.
@Jeffrey67

Sure, absolutely, you can "put the fob in the Faraday Bag under the hood", if you want.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I fyou are going be far a way from your jeep like gone hiking where dont see your jeep why would would you not want the alarm on so others might hear it and make the person breaking into it leave
Sure there are compromises, but at least I can swim in the ocean without worry about a stolen key fob. Some places your stuff on the beach may be more at risk of theft then your car is of being broken into. It is a risk management thing, a decision you make depending on the activity and location.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Wrapping in foil also works as should any metal enclosure.
fob wrap.jpg

fob wrap test.jpg

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I just took one of my fobs apart.
I wear a lanyard around my neck with my dog whistle, a small compass, a house key, and now my Jeep door key.
I would be certain to lock myself out otherwise.
I leave the fob in the console, but I live in a small town in Texas with almost no crime.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just took one of my fobs apart.
I wear a lanyard around my neck with my dog whistle, a small compass, a house key, and now my Jeep door key.
I would be certain to lock myself out otherwise.
I leave the fob in the console, but I live in a small town in Texas with almost no crime.
@brazos
So, you are leaving the fob with battery in it, in your JL, 24/7, year round and it is there and not in a Faraday Bag or wrapped in tin foil ?

If so go back and read the forum "archives" as you call them. 8-)
Sponsored