Fob key detension

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My solution, that's a medium-sized carabiner. Home Depot ,Lowe's or even your local sports shop you can get any size you wish .I went with the larger option cuz I have clumsy thumbs, LOL. no opening of the key!

20190916_071320.jpg

20190916_071044.jpg

Advertisement

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
the evil celery band or was it broccoli

celery.JPG
I gave up on the evil celery band because they don't last before they break.
Now its the evil piece of duck tape which is holding up so far.
Charcoal lighter fluid cleans all kinds of gum and glue off of plastic without harming the plastic, much faster than alcohol.

P1010001.JPG

D60

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you can't duck it, f**k it!

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I took a leather shoe lace, wedged it under the key, then clipped it flush. The key stays put. If I lose it, I have enough lace to do it at least 50 more times.

IMG_0435.jpeg

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Corvette ZO6 - ZO7 Carbon 65
When I get my Jeep I may machine the button down to flush. If I can. Or just machine a new smaller button.
I also thought that would be a great idea except for one thing; I took mine apart to do just that and found the button to be hollow. Machining it would render it inop altogether. I'll use the rubber band trick until I find something more practical. Since the key actually has a hole like a regular key, I also considered removing it and putting it on my key ring.

D60

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I thought this was genius when I first read it a few weeks ago and finally had time to try today....it won't easily work 'cause the button isn't solid (I was hoping to just face it down).

Also the amount of engineering put into this fob is impressive but also makes me feel Jeep has no excuses for any design shortcomings in the JL if they had this much time to over-engineer a fob. The button would not be easily replicated as it has three "wings" of varying size and placement.

I'm not saying it's not possible, and if one had a machining center they could crank out shorter versions and sell 'em....but I'm fully manual and it would be WAY more time than I had allotted for this little (well, it was supposed to be little) project today.

I elected to just reassemble with the spring inop and that's fine by me....I've only had my JL a few months but never once used the actual key so I don't think convenient access to it is a priority for me
Quoting myself....about 8 months later and I've yet to regret having the spring not work. I haven't needed the actual blade key yet (shrug)

Advertisement

Mac Haik CDJR Georgetown

Advertisement