Fob key detension

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Here's another way to keep the fob key from opening in your pocket. I opened up my fob, removed and reinstalled the spring to reduce the tension on the key blade. It's been several weeks and with the reduced key tension, the key never opens in my pocket.

Here's the inside of the fob with the cover removed. You need to remove the four torx (T6) screws.
fob open.jpg

Here's all the pieces of the disassembled fob.
fob pieces.jpg

Here's the key and spring in place ready to reassemble.
fob spring.jpg

Detail of tab on spring and matching slot on case. The spring tab goes in slot on case. To reassemble with normal spring tension, you would need to rotate cover to wind the spring tighter before screwing the case back together.
fob spring zoom 2.jpg

Here's how far the key opens with the detensioned spring. The spring is not strong enough to open the key all the way.
fob spring open.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
There are additional benefits to this mod for the people with manual locks that actual have to use the key. You can operate the key at an easier to work with 90 degree angle.

fob unlock.jpg

Plus it's easier to close the key with one hand since you don't have to push the button to close it.
fob close.jpg

Last edited:

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How about taking the key out and wiring it under the vehicle somewhere. I found out the hard way that if the door where locked with the button and you unlock it with the key, the alarm goes off until you press some buttons that I didn't remember because it was late at night and the horn was blasting. Woke up the hole retirement neighborhood.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
It does seem rather silly that opening with the key would trigger the alarm. On my other cars, the turn of the key deactivates the alarm as if the button were pressed.

But I have to ask a practical question... assuming the battery in each fob is juiced enough, why would there be a need to open with the key? I'd guess force of habit, but that same habit should make you lock with the key.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Here's another way to keep the fob key from opening in your pocket. I opened up my fob, removed and reinstalled the spring to reduce the tension on the key blade. It's been several weeks and with the reduced key tension, the key never opens in my pocket.

Here's the inside of the fob with the cover removed. You need to remove the four torx (T6) screws.
fob open.jpg

Here's all the pieces of the disassembled fob.
fob pieces.jpg

Here's the key and spring in place ready to reassemble.
fob spring.jpg

Detail of tab on spring and matching slot on case. The spring tab goes in slot on case. To reassemble with normal spring tension, you would need to rotate cover to wind the spring tighter before screwing the case back together.
fob spring zoom 2.jpg

Here's how far the key opens with the detensioned spring. The spring is not strong enough to open the key all the way.
fob spring open.jpg
(Satire)

@Jebiruph Jerry, I'm afraid a cease and desist order for patent infringement is going to be necessary on my behalf to shut you down.

You are diluting the value of my brilliant invention!;)

The "key enforcer" TM (proprietary rubber band sold separately.);)

IMG_2507.JPG

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-fob-holsters.12104/page-23#post-346023

Sponsored

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It does seem rather silly that opening with the key would trigger the alarm. On my other cars, the turn of the key deactivates the alarm as if the button were pressed.

But I have to ask a practical question... assuming the battery in each fob is juiced enough, why would there be a need to open with the key? I'd guess force of habit, but that same habit should make you lock with the key.
open the door after you unlock

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
the evil celery band or was it broccoli

celery.JPG
Maybe this is exactly what you refer to sir, but yesterday I watched a Shark Tank episode where a man was pitching one of those very rubber bands as a money clip, having paid one of the celebrities from the Sopranos to appear with him.

Years back I saw someone on ebay selling one as a handless phone holder, one's phone, the band, and their brain being the three integral components.

Ebay yanked it quickly.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
My key just stopped opening even with pushing button? Have not tried to fix it! Have never used it? If you open with the key cuz your fob battery is dead does putting the end of fob against the start button still work?? I guess I'd really just like a key to open and to start like the "ole days" ??

As above why would the alarm go off?If the batteries dead in fob you can push all the buttons you want and it shold not turn off the alarm. I'm not even sure why that key exists?? I guess I should check my owners manual...ahh did I get one of those?? lol

Go Jeep!!!

ShadyB

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a small import that is my daily driver
My key just stopped opening even with pushing button? Have not tried to fix it! Have never used it? If you open with the key cuz your fob battery is dead does putting the end of fob against the start button still work?? I guess I'd really just like a key to open and to start like the "ole days" ??

As above why would the alarm go off?If the batteries dead in fob you can push all the buttons you want and it shold not turn off the alarm. I'm not even sure why that key exists?? I guess I should check my owners manual...ahh did I get one of those?? lol

Go Jeep!!!
I think it's for a totally dead battery. You can key into your door then jump the Jeep.

Also, the locking glovebox.

I would like the key to not open while in my pocket though and I think the rubber band, while effective, looks horrible.

If you figure out how your key "broke" so it doesn't open, let me know.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's for a totally dead battery. You can key into your door then jump the Jeep.

Also, the locking glovebox.

I would like the key to not open while in my pocket though and I think the rubber band, while effective, looks horrible.

If you figure out how your key "broke" so it doesn't open, let me know.
Who's going to see the rubber band?

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Shadyb, I think jebiruph a few post above shows some picks of fixing the pop out key.

I forgot about the glove box, have never tried, thanks!!

Go Jeep!!!