Fob key detension

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My solution, that's a medium-sized carabiner. Home Depot ,Lowe's or even your local sports shop you can get any size you wish .I went with the larger option cuz I have clumsy thumbs, LOL. no opening of the key!

20190916_071320.jpg

20190916_071044.jpg
Sponsored

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
the evil celery band or was it broccoli

celery.JPG
I gave up on the evil celery band because they don't last before they break.
Now its the evil piece of duck tape which is holding up so far.
Charcoal lighter fluid cleans all kinds of gum and glue off of plastic without harming the plastic, much faster than alcohol.

P1010001.JPG

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I took a leather shoe lace, wedged it under the key, then clipped it flush. The key stays put. If I lose it, I have enough lace to do it at least 50 more times.

IMG_0435.jpeg

Sponsored

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Corvette ZO6 - ZO7 Carbon 65
When I get my Jeep I may machine the button down to flush. If I can. Or just machine a new smaller button.
I also thought that would be a great idea except for one thing; I took mine apart to do just that and found the button to be hollow. Machining it would render it inop altogether. I'll use the rubber band trick until I find something more practical. Since the key actually has a hole like a regular key, I also considered removing it and putting it on my key ring.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I thought this was genius when I first read it a few weeks ago and finally had time to try today....it won't easily work 'cause the button isn't solid (I was hoping to just face it down).

Also the amount of engineering put into this fob is impressive but also makes me feel Jeep has no excuses for any design shortcomings in the JL if they had this much time to over-engineer a fob. The button would not be easily replicated as it has three "wings" of varying size and placement.

I'm not saying it's not possible, and if one had a machining center they could crank out shorter versions and sell 'em....but I'm fully manual and it would be WAY more time than I had allotted for this little (well, it was supposed to be little) project today.

I elected to just reassemble with the spring inop and that's fine by me....I've only had my JL a few months but never once used the actual key so I don't think convenient access to it is a priority for me
Quoting myself....about 8 months later and I've yet to regret having the spring not work. I haven't needed the actual blade key yet (shrug)

Nash_Dj

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler WILLYS 2021
A drop of a hot glue in the key channel and my problem was fixed. If I ever need the key, it will be easy to pry it out...

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
A drop of a hot glue in the key channel and my problem was fixed. If I ever need the key, it will be easy to pry it out...
So you never use your Key to lock the center console or glovebox? When the top is off, those get locked for a little piece of mind.

This worked for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091HNZ1XB
$10 and the key has not popped out once since.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
There are additional benefits to this mod for the people with manual locks that actual have to use the key. You can operate the key at an easier to work with 90 degree angle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fob key detension IMG_0435

Plus it's easier to close the key with one hand since you don't have to push the button to close it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fob key detension IMG_0435
Dude your smart guy, I like your stuff already!

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Here's another way to keep the fob key from opening in your pocket. ...
I tried all of the other cheap methods on my 2018 JLUR key back before Jebiruph shared this idea. Tried the o-ring around the push button, business card between the key and the case, rubber band, duct tape, etc.. When I first saw this, approach I jumped on it immediately. Been a positive improvement since day one. Thank you!!

Just brought a new JLUR home to start a another build ... yep, the first mod was to reduce the spring tension. When something works, it's senseless to mess with it.
Sponsored

Last edited: