Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I'll be honest. I owned two Wranglers and they drive like shit in general. They are terrible in windy conditions and need constant steering corrections. I just bought another XR Wrangler after owning a Gladiator.

Both Wranglers were JLs and the shorter wheelbase makes a huge difference. If I could go back and get a Gladiator over my XR. I would probably do it. I forgot how terrible the Wranglers track on the highway.

I still like my XR JL, but I prefer the stability on the JT. If you can sacrifice the break over angle & departure angle. Try driving a Gladiator.

~Blue392~

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 392
What you're probably experiencing is the steering box deflection. I just installed a Yeti sector shaft brace and now my steering is solid and responsive. The difference is night and day.

Are your Jeeps new? I did not watch this video but it talks about a TSB for steering boxes...

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Even the new iron steering boxes have crappy tolerances. Maybe try taking some play out of the steering box before you start throwing money at parts

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
Yes, both are new. How do you take play out of the boxes?

Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Even the new iron steering boxes have crappy tolerances. Maybe try taking some play out of the steering box before you start throwing money at parts
It is a fact that any of the Jeep models - Rubi, Beach, High Tide, etc have low caster from the factory. Starting with the longer Mopar control arms or investing in adjustable LCAs isn't throwing money at parts. It's fixing a known issue. Lowering the air pressure is free. Definitely drop from 37psi. My factory 33s liked 34psi, and my current 37s seem to be happy around 28psi.
Listen to @Roky. He's the one you climb the mountain for, hoping he will impart ancient wisdom for all things suspension.

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ll definitely investigate changing the LCAs. Wouldnā€™t lowering the pressure to 28 wear out the tire pretty quick? Does anyone have the part number for the Mopar LCAs?

Omen

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys 2.0
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Manager
@blnewt did an excellent write up on the MOPAR LCA's and their install here. A good read overall.

Omen

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Adjusting the steering box will reduce the dead spot, or make it so thereā€™s less play in the steering wheel. It will not fix wandering, youā€™ll just make the corrections quicker, but with low caster youā€™ll still be making the correctionsā€¦ā€¦.

usmamg

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Corvette, 2022 Rubicon ER
One thing I noticed when I got my jeep is that the dealer over inflated the tires and I was just drifting all over the road (I keep mine at about between 35 and 40 now). I'd check that first as the cheapest option for a fix
My JLUR was delivered with 46 in each tire. I lowered to 35 and it drives much better. Donā€™t understand why the dealers deliver jeeps with so much tire pressure!

Sponsored

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Listen to roky. Standard rubis are low in caster IMO let alone a lifted one.
mopar arms help. I wonder if an adjustable CA would be better for a little more caster on an XR.

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a good question. The lift is small on an XR though. I guess someone with a lifted suspension that has tried both would have to chime in. I highly believe in DIRFT.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
As far as the EC. I just started running mine and Iā€™m really quite happy so far. I do have a lot of caster in my setup tho. Not sure my numbers yet. Still need to get an appointment for my alignment but going to wait til I get my UCAā€™s in.

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
My 2020 JLR steering box was replaced when it was new, 20,000 miles later, it is as loose as the original aluminum steering box.
I'm ready to tighten the top adjustment. Ideally, steering boxes should be removed and clean of fluid for bearing adjustment and set with an in/lb torque wrench. I have looked and have not found any information on rebuilding or fully adjusting the new 'steel' boxes.

Our previous XJs and TJs steering boxes had similar problems with loosening.
PCS used to build big bore steering boxes, the cores sourced from full-size cars of the 70s. They were big and beefy and didn't wear out so quickly.
My 2001 XJ, 4" lift on 33"s, has one of these boxes with over 100,000 miles on it and it is still tight. There is no good reason why Jeep can't build a box strong enough to deal with the expected stresses.
Too bad PCS doesn't sell an HD replacement box designed to work with the electric power steering pump, instead of abandoning the electric pump and replacing it with a traditional pump.

BTW, I installed an Exact Center about 1500 miles ago. Once adjusted, It does what is advertised, it drives straight with your hands off the wheel, assuming there is no play in the tie road ends or ball joint. It makes driving the short-wheel-base Jeep much easier in side winds.

On our Rubicon, IMO, the recommended 130-lb model is too strong and requires too much effort and grip to steer around curves. The 110-lb model would be better for 33"s and smaller tires.
Oddly, when in 4WD, the EC works well and isn't very noticeable.
Sponsored