OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
Havent had a storm yet to know how bad it is in the Jeep. Actually, havent even had a high wind warning yet either lol.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Havent had a storm yet to know how bad it is in the Jeep. Actually, havent even had a high wind warning yet either lol.
Well it’s coming, probably be a hurricane in the gulf end of next week…….😓

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I saw. They sent out an update at work.

iddpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Byrds8 - Looks like you've had some great feedback, but I thought I'd throw my two cents worth in...

(1) For sure reduce your tire pressure - jeeps are a lot lighter than what the LT tires will support and the factory way over inflates them. I'd recommend doing a chalk test, but in all reality running 28psi is probably closer to what you need. (I'm on 37's, modified and running 26-27psi on the highway)
(2) It's a known issue that caster is set low from the factory (especially on a rubicon) which directly affects your road handling. (Remember caster and pinion angle are directly related so you can only go so far before affecting the other). Like everyone else, I would recommend swapping out your LCA's (Mopar lift kit lower control arms would be the quickest/easiest and best cost, or adjustable LCA's - Clayton or another good brand).
(3) Personally the factory steering suppressor is of questionable quality/function. You will see/feel a difference with either the Exact, or the one I've had excellent results with is the Teraflex Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Fast Adjust steering stabilizer (set it on "medium" and you should be good for most conditions).
(4) If none of these have made a difference (which they will have), then your could install a front steering correction kit or the Front Track Bar Brace & Sector Shaft Brace. The earlier JL's ('18-20) had the aluminum steering boxes that "flexed" and for me the Synergy Front Track Bar Brace & Sector Shaft Brace made a difference.
(5) Adjust the steering box (a little more tricky and probably not needed if you've done the above).

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the replies. I am currently waiting the money from the warranty return on one of the trade ins. Soon as its in, I am going to get the LCAs. We will see how that goes before I do anything else. That way its one thing then check and so on. I may eventually still replace the stabilizer even if this helps with part of the issues. I hate how slow it returns to center. Granted, this is my first Jeep and everything drives different but....I still liked the way everything else wanted to go straight and I really didn't have to help it along.

Just so I know for later, when they lifted this with the XR package, how was that accomplished? One day I may want to put nice shocks etc on it and would hate to get the wrong ones if all they did was put a longer one on to get the 1.5".

Sponsored

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LCA's on order. Should be here next weekend (roughly). Also order the hood struts.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be honest. I owned two Wranglers and they drive like shit in general. They are terrible in windy conditions and need constant steering corrections. I just bought another XR Wrangler after owning a Gladiator.

Both Wranglers were JLs and the shorter wheelbase makes a huge difference. If I could go back and get a Gladiator over my XR. I would probably do it. I forgot how terrible the Wranglers track on the highway.

I still like my XR JL, but I prefer the stability on the JT. If you can sacrifice the break over angle & departure angle. Try driving a Gladiator.
The worst vehicle I ever drove in a good 20mph+ crosswind was a 2012 nissan titan with the stock soft suspension. My Jeep is stable as hell compared to that thing. it's more shocks than anything regarding wind stability.

i've palmed my jeeps steering wheel in a southern Wyoming 50mph crosswind that literally caused the fender inserts to be dislodged.

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
It's some odd steering stabilizer setup that I've completely ruled out. Once I got my steering setup correct I had no need for it https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/exactcenter.php

I think if you're running soft springs AND soft shocks you're going to have wind/drift issues. Or stiff springs and soft shocks. Or caster as has been discussed here. For tire air pressure, I personally run about 32psi daily on mine and have for years on 35's-37'' D-E rated tires.

Oddly enough, my Fox ATS stabilizer was 'causing' some steering issues and once I relocated my stabilizer with one that has zero 'push' or less 'damping' my issues disappeared.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
All great inputs here. I would add that, for me, the Fox Performance Series 2.0 ATS steering stabilizer (and a steering box replacement under Jeep technical bulletin guidance...) dramatically improved my play. It's not Corvette tight, and never will be, but because it has 24 clicks of adjustment on it I truly noticed a BIG difference, primarily when in high wind conditions. I'll have to look into the LCA replacements as well, as have wondered about that for some time, so appreciate all the feedback here. In the interim, though, the steering stabilizer replacement is a good start, and worth the cost, IMHO.

IMG20220430150246.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All great inputs here. I would add that, for me, the Fox Performance Series 2.0 ATS steering stabilizer (and a steering box replacement under Jeep technical bulletin guidance...) dramatically improved my play. It's not Corvette tight, and never will be, but because it has 24 clicks of adjustment on it I truly noticed a BIG difference, primarily when in high wind conditions. I'll have to look into the LCA replacements as well, as have wondered about that for some time, so appreciate all the feedback here. In the interim, though, the steering stabilizer replacement is a good start, and worth the cost, IMHO.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exact Center IMG20220430150246
My LCAs will be here on Friday so I will start there. Hopefully it will help a lot. If not, the next thing I go with will probably be the steering stablizer.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
My LCAs will be here on Friday so I will start there. Hopefully it will help a lot. If not, the next thing I go with will probably be the steering stablizer.
Would love to hear your honest feedback to see if it's worth it.

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would love to hear your honest feedback to see if it's worth it.
You got it. Dont know any other way to be other than honest. Even if its brutally so sometimes lol.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
What is "Exact Center"?
Cosmo
Follow this link https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/exactcenter.php
Exact Center is a Centering stabilizer. Unlike all other stabilizers, EC has a power hold at the center and a powered return to the center. On most modified and lifted Jeeps, we usually suggest 140 lb EC. This will act just like you had a 140-pound high school wrestler holding on to each side of your steering wheel. Not much can make your steered wheels turn, but the power steering will make this assist invisible to the driver. Interstate driving in high winds EC will make most of the wind effect disappear. When you make a sharp turn the steering wheel will slowly spin back. The device can make your Jeep drive and steer like a high-end SUV. I have a 2021 JLUR 392 XR and on it, I have a 135-pound EC. As the inventor of Exact Center, I have tested 87 lb,110 lb, 125lb, and 135 lb. I do like the 135-pound best. I have Super C RV with a 400lb EC. Tony and Todd here have Modified TJ's with EC one has 75 lb (on a 313 V8 4" long arm lift on 35's) the other has 75 lb with 2" lift on 33's. For one year Tony offers a free upgrade to a different pressure. A few mods and near stock tires (33 and below) we go with 110 lb EC, 35's and up, or 2" lift and up 140 lb EC.
Contact Tony and give him info on your build, now and planned. Email your info to [email protected] or call EST 8-4 989-448-2501 Tony.

OP
OP
Byrds8

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I attempt to do the LCAs myself, how do you get the front axle to move forward since the new ones are 1/4" longer? From a video I watched, it doesnt look overly difficult considering you dont have to even jack it up. Looks like basically four bolts. Thanks for the advise.
Sponsored