Driving on beach sand.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
What about climbing a dune? I saw you should use 4H. I've heard you should manual shift and keep it in 2nd to keep the rpm's high. Or do you downshift as you climb the dune?

I plan on visiting a place over in Michigan where you can drive on dunes. There's a test hill that's a challenge and will take any tips I can get.

OP
OP
Iaintgonnatellu

Iaintgonnatellu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I am on Long Island. Which pass did you get? The Outer Beach access for Smith Point or the Permit for Sore Thumb in Babylon.

I usually air down to about 15 or 18 PSI and then drive in 4LO. That has always worked for me.
I got the 4x4 for beach off ocean parkway. I think.

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
We drove home (1,100 miles) from moab at 22 psi including 80mph cornering through the passes on I-70, pretty sure your beads are safe on the sand. We usually go down to 10-15psi in the rocks and still haven't pushed a bead off in 2 decades of wheeling. Popped a couple beads running 8 psi without beadlocks, but both times were literally pushed off by rocks against the sidewall. You'd be amazed how little air pressure will keep a tire seated.
Wow I would not have thought that was possible. What is the advantage of running that low on the highway?

Sponsored

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
I have wondered what the minimum psi is with no beadlocks. I’ve gone down to 20, which is required on the outer banks, but I’ve seen others say they go lower.
I’ve routinely run on the beach down to 12-14 without issue and no beadlocks. Wished I had onboard air which will be an early modification on my next Jeep.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Wow I would not have thought that was possible. What is the advantage of running that low on the highway?
No advantage, we stopped at 3 different gas stations heading out of town at 1:30 am and all 3 had compressors that were out of order so we drove home.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Rule #1, turn off the traction control.

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
When I lived in the Outer Banks I used to drive the beach often in my TJ. I always carried a shovel and board. I would wash off after exiting the beach and changed my air filter and fluids much more frequently than recommended. I also ran no carpet! Have fun.