Sponsored

Driving on beach sand.

Iaintgonnatellu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hello everyone I just received a beach pass to drive on some of NY beaches. What are the do’s and don’t for driving on beach sand?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Iaintgonnatellu

Iaintgonnatellu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Jack Board, Tow rope/strap( not a chain) and "air down" to at least to 18lbs! Don't forget to "air up" before highway speeds.

Have fun!:)

Go Jeep!!!
I was told that you need to wash out the undercarriage very well after words or sand can mess up things. How true is that.

Last edited:

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Don't run at speed through saltwater tidal pools. I ruined a new '74 Toyota Land Cruiser -top off - that way. (Beer was also involved.)

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I normally go down to 25# as I don’t have beadlocks and air up before getting back on solid ground, i also carry a snatch strap and small shovel, just go slow and have fun

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Don't run at speed through saltwater tidal pools. I ruined a new '74 Toyota Land Cruiser -top off - that way. (Beer was also involved.)
Don't drive through tide pools as they are a fragile and already dying portion of the ecosystem. They used to be full of star fish, sea anemone, etc. Now you're lucky to see a couple tiny crabs.

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
I normally go down to 25# as I don’t have beadlocks and air up before getting back on solid ground, i also carry a snatch strap and small shovel, just go slow and have fun
I have wondered what the minimum psi is with no beadlocks. I’ve gone down to 20, which is required on the outer banks, but I’ve seen others say they go lower.

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
I drive Corolla beach, NC (14 miles worth of beach roads) every year. Besides airing down and having shovel etc... one of the big things in soft sand is KEEP MOVING. If it starts getting dicey don't stop, don't spin the tires, just keep moving.

Oh and watch the speed limits. I actually got a speeding ticket last year - going 25 in a 15mph zone, guilty as charged :) I've been doing it every year for over a decade, 1st in a Liberty, then a Cherokee TrailHawk and this year in a Sahara 4xe (if it ever comes).

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have wondered what the minimum psi is with no beadlocks. I’ve gone down to 20, which is required on the outer banks, but I’ve seen others say they go lower.
I was kinda afraid to go lower than 25 with no beadlocks, I would hate to roll off a rim.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
I was kinda afraid to go lower than 25 with no beadlocks, I would hate to roll off a rim.
I regularly run 8-10 psi in very soft sand like at Imperial Sand Dunes (Glamis) stock tires and wheels, 33" BFG KO2's. Haven't rolled one off the bead yet.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
i use a product called salt away and rinse everywhere I can reach with it after driving on beach sand. There is enough salt in the sand alone to be problematic even if you avoid wet areas. Air down and carry the equipment listed on your pass. Democrat point has compressors to air back up but don’t trust them to have working hoses. I’d bought a portable compressor. Enjoy!

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Hello everyone I just received a beach pass to drive on some of NY beaches. What are the do’s and don’t for driving on beach sand?
I am on Long Island. Which pass did you get? The Outer Beach access for Smith Point or the Permit for Sore Thumb in Babylon.

I usually air down to about 15 or 18 PSI and then drive in 4LO. That has always worked for me.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We drove home (1,100 miles) from moab at 22 psi including 80mph cornering through the passes on I-70, pretty sure your beads are safe on the sand. We usually go down to 10-15psi in the rocks and still haven't pushed a bead off in 2 decades of wheeling. Popped a couple beads running 8 psi without beadlocks, but both times were literally pushed off by rocks against the sidewall. You'd be amazed how little air pressure will keep a tire seated.
Sponsored