Sponsored

driving on the sand issue, traction control ?

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
With my 2013 JK, I would disable traction control manually.
On my 2018 JL, traction control is disabled automatically when I select 4 Low.

FWIW, my auto-deflators air me down to 18 pounds before I cross onto the beach.

IMG_6014.jpg
Sponsored

Robull

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jl
i tried going up a dune in 4h but when i started losing momentum the car started "modulating" the power, it started to shudder, stutter, shake and came to a stop, this is the first time i take my jl on sand, i shifted it into 4low and it started in 2nd, i applied some throttle but the power was being cut, i floored the gas pedal and the same it dug bit by bit and then suddenly the rpm spiked and i dug my tire half way.

so i tried to take this vid on a small incline with soft sand to explain what i was facing, this is in 4low 2nd gear, front and rear difs locked and half throttle, i didnt move my foot at all but if u can hear the car was modulating the rpms as if traction control or something was still on.

turn off traction control

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Aww crap. I hit some nasty sand few weeks back and my Rubi was shaking and chattering and what not. I thought that was normal lololol

Sorry, new to offroad and jeeping. So this SHOULDNT happen? Do I need to bring it in? I believe I was in 4H not 4L
I think you want 4 low. In US spec vehicles, I believe 4 Low turns off all the traction aids but some are left on in 4 high.

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
With my 2013 JK, I would disable traction control manually.
On my 2018 JL, traction control is disabled automatically when I select 4 Low.

FWIW, my auto-deflators air me down to 18 pounds before I cross onto the beach.
you should really air down to less than 15 psi for desert sand.
beach sand is wet, its packed, the desert and the dunes its dry and sugary.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you want 4 low. In US spec vehicles, I believe 4 Low turns off all the traction aids but some are left on in 4 high.
thats the thing, going up dunes need momentum, you need your wheels flicking sand 3-6 feet past your roof, the only way i can see it working on the jl is a tazer with TC Kill since that also disables the abs system, with the tazer you can also get lockers on in 2hi-4hi, i just dont feel the taser the menu navigation seems very hard and i just wish the come out with an app for it so i can just use my phone to turn stuff on and off.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'm no expert at oversand driving, but the 2 times I did it in my TJ Rubi, I was down to 5psi. Reason being: flotation over the sand. The Jeep would only dig if I was above 5psi. 4 low, 3/4th gear. This was not wet beach sand, either- this was back from the shoreline, and going to the South cut (If I remember correctly) on Race Point Beach in Cape Cod National Seashore there is a big, sandy hill you have to go up and over to get to the shoreline. First few times, it faltered a bit and started to dig. Once i aired down to 5psi, it just cruised over the top of the sand, right up to the top of the hill.

In US Spec vehicles, the Traction control is off as soon as you put it in 4 low. There are a bunch of red messages in your Dashboard that pop up to notify you of that.

FWIW: Whenever I'm off road I'm ALWAYS in 4 low. It was explained to me like this: 4hi is for dirt roads, snow driving, foul road conditions, etc. 4 Low is for off roading as you need the extra torque and control from the lower gearing. Worth mentioning though, All my Jeeps have been manual transmissions, so holding 3/4th gear with the throttle down for a hill climb isn't an issue..

The thing I'm curious about, is if/how the BLD will work in 4 low, off road situations. Will you have issues in off camber/ loose dirt/ sidehill situations? If it's going to negatively affect you, maybe I need to look into a Tazer...

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Went to silver lake sand dunes with new JL and night and day difference compared to the previous 16 JKU, rolled and held 8psi two days out there and did not run into any driving issues.

6690A0C0-80C2-40F1-A705-AE6C7BBDA37A.jpeg

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went to silver lake sand dunes with new JL and night and day difference compared to the previous 16 JKU, rolled and held 8psi two days out there and did not run into any driving issues.

6690A0C0-80C2-40F1-A705-AE6C7BBDA37A.jpeg
did you use 4hi or 4low ? traction esp ?
airing down does help alot, in the winter the weather is below freezing in some areas and camping a few days out if not weeks is normal, however when its 140+ degrees outside airing down and then airing back up for a couple hours of fun isnt worth it.

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The thing I'm curious about, is if/how the BLD will work in 4 low, off road situations. Will you have issues in off camber/ loose dirt/ sidehill situations? If it's going to negatively affect you, maybe I need to look into a Tazer...
it seems like 4low turns off traction and esp, the ABS BLD stays on and i still havent found a way to kill it from the fuse box, the tazer does that however id like to keep my jl under warranty for a bit more before i give it a shot, the whole menu navigation on the steering wheel thing is also a turnoff, i would like to see an app where i can see whats on and whats off using my phone.

Sponsored

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
did you use 4hi or 4low ? traction esp ?
airing down does help alot, in the winter the weather is below freezing in some areas and camping a few days out if not weeks is normal, however when its 140+ degrees outside airing down and then airing back up for a couple hours of fun isnt worth it.
ESP Always off, 2w most the time. Occasional hills with 4hi no issues. If it started struggling just kept it in 1st or 2nd using “manual” and it just went right through

floridarick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara White
i tried going up a dune in 4h but when i started losing momentum the car started "modulating" the power, it started to shudder, stutter, shake and came to a stop, this is the first time i take my jl on sand, i shifted it into 4low and it started in 2nd, i applied some throttle but the power was being cut, i floored the gas pedal and the same it dug bit by bit and then suddenly the rpm spiked and i dug my tire half way.

so i tried to take this vid on a small incline with soft sand to explain what i was facing, this is in 4low 2nd gear, front and rear difs locked and half throttle, i didnt move my foot at all but if u can hear the car was modulating the rpms as if traction control or something was still on.

Try 4wd low in manual shift mode....

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
(out of the subject)
Your car looks pretty، I would like to alert you regarding the rear bumper and maintain it
I wish you good luck

JLWF-Watermark-logo-2-1.png

900x675-1_-Wqe255i2BQ4e60.jpg

F9694D02-F07B-4A72-B101-33FC36C6B329.jpeg

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
I wouldn't lock front axle unless you're not turning and you need it to get unstuck......
Is that really true on soft sand? I'm a total noob... just speculating, but I'd have thought front lockers wouldn't be a problem even when turning on sand. the wheels will spin at the same rate, even in a turn, and of course that's a no-no when on hard surfaces, but on sand, is it a problem to turn the wheel with fronts locked?
Sponsored