Sponsored

driving on the sand issue, traction control ?

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Think of "traction control" as separate from the brake lock differential. The dash button is for traction control on/off in 2WD/4WD high. Best used on packed snow/ice highway driving speeds where if you started spinning the engine would cut power to reduce a spin out that could put you in a ditch. If pushing through deep snow or driving in sand or mud (at slower than highway speeds) you don't want it on as you don't want the engine to pull back power, you need to keep your tires churning and maintain momentum.

Brake lock diff is always on in 2wd/4wd and does not cut engine power. 4wd Lo disables traction control. Basically i would push the button and turn off TC for off road use.
What people have found is even with traction controll off, engine power can get cut still when in auto mode on the transmission. Seems like its extreme stuff, so I have not encountered. I jsut am not sure what the trip point is. a few youtube rock crawler mentioned they always switch to manual mode..
Sponsored

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Time for a Tazer JL. TC Kill for Traction Control, Stability Control, and ABS. Also allows lockers in 2hi and 4hi if you find you need that.
StammesOpfer,

I have a Tazer mini and was trying to tc kill this weekend and when I press and hold the tc button for 5 seconds, I get the tc off symbol and also get the check abs light, break light and traction control button malfunction. Is this normal? When I turn the Jeep off and back on it goes away, just like the tazer says it will.

Thanks

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Aww crap. I hit some nasty sand few weeks back and my Rubi was shaking and chattering and what not. I thought that was normal lololol

Sorry, new to offroad and jeeping. So this SHOULDNT happen? Do I need to bring it in? I believe I was in 4H not 4L
I actually suck driving in the sand so maybe I should not reply, but I am bored while the family is sleeping, getting ready to go wheeling.

I cannot control my JL in sand in 4wd, I use 2 wheel, no lockers and steer with the back wheels like an ATV counter steering if needed. if necessary you can put in manual and the annoying rev limiter does not come on just remember to gear up as needed or shift back to auto mode so you don't lock up rear wheels unintended.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Driving on the dunes here is strictly forbidden. In fact, even walking on them will get you arrested if you are caught.
You are allowed to drive on the beach with a valid surf fishing permit, and I do that regularly.

I air my (stock) tires down to 18 psi using auto-deflators, transfer case in low range, transmission in drive, and drive with a 'soft foot'.
Never had an issue here.

IMG_7793.jpg

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Driving on the dunes here is strictly forbidden. In fact, even walking on them will get you arrested if you are caught.
You are allowed to drive on the beach with a valid surf fishing permit, and I do that regularly.

I air my (stock) tires down to 18 psi using auto-deflators, transfer case in low range, transmission in drive, and drive with a 'soft foot'.
Never had an issue here.

IMG_7793.jpg

Fortunately in san diego, the beach (no jeeps allowed at all), mountains and desert are all within 1.5 hours from each other.

Sponsored

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
What's the excuse there for restricting access so heavily?
The dunes protect the inland towns and other areas from coastal storms. They are the only barrier between the ocean and the inland areas. The state actively plants sea grasses on the dunes to try to keep them in place. Walking on the dunes destroys the grasses allowing the dunes to erode due to wind and wave action.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

f08 looks like the TCM try pulling that fuse?
Sponsored