Daily Driver Mods?

OP
OP

blkhawk_jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Also, if you go camping a rear door table would be pretty awesome. I met an owner with one on his JL and it was pretty sweet. There's also videos of modifications for adding LED lights to the cargo for use at night that seem very practical.
Planning on doing this in the summer for sure
Sponsored

OP
OP

blkhawk_jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I installed a Synergy trackbar brace with the sector shaft brace on my JLUR. It made no detectable difference to me. My JLUR has no lift and stock BFG K02 285-70R17 tires/wheels.

To be fair, I had already installed a Steersmarts trackbar last fall, which eliminated about 75-80% of the "free play", "wandering" , etc.. I did not install a different steering stablilizer or any other component. My steering stabilizer was the "AD" version, if my memory is right (but that's questionable).

There was still a bit of "free play" left in the system. I'd say it was 1/2 to 1" at the steering wheel. I checked the joints on the tierod and draglink. There was no discernable play in them.

When the draglink was off of the pitman arm, I checked the freeplay in the pitman arm. It "clunked" back and forth about 1/16 to 3/32".
I then decided then that I'd be willing to deal with the possibility that I'd lose warranty on the steering box by adjusting the sector gear engagement. I broke loose the jamb nut on the adjuster with a little heat and adjusted the backlash of the sector shaft until there was about .010-.020" backlash at the pitman arm end. This was done at about 70F temperature in the center range of the steering. I checked it for freedom of movement before attaching the draglink.

My recommendation is to use the funds you were going to use on the Synergy trackbar/sector brace for a Steersmarts Yeti Pro trackbar.
I'll take a look at some trackbar options. I wasn't sure if it'd make a significant difference vs what I've heard about the sector shaft brace

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The JL back-up lights are terrible. I would add aux rear back-up lights also if you will be anyplace without street lights.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Unless you have steering issues, don't do the V41 recall. Keep it as is, some one of us did the swap and had wobble issues when otherwise we had none.

If you bike a lot, get a RoughCountry Spare Tire Relocation Bracket. You can skip the instruction to bring up the 3rd brake light and it won't obstruct your rear view as much. The relocation bracket will allow you to use a Thule bike rack on your hitch without blocking the rear swing gate by giving you necessary clearances.

I like the stiffer feel of the swapped Rubicon shocks and springs honestly.
I had no problems before V41 and none since.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'll take a look at some trackbar options. I wasn't sure if it'd make a significant difference vs what I've heard about the sector shaft brace
I think you'll be very pleased with the improvement. It was an unquestionalbly huge improvement in myJLUR steering.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A friend of mine was interested in adding soundproofing because he has TBI and the noise can bother him. I asked the guy who posted about cost and no reply back. I think he kind of dropped off the forum?
I think the OP of the sound proofing thread stated that he used Noico. Noico seems to be the up and comer in the field since its performance is comparable to Dynamat Extreme but at a huge savings.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
It might depend on if it was factory ordered and installed or done after delivery? I don't know? I would not take the dealer's word for it. I would get written confirmation directly from FCA about this if it's a concern so there are no surprises. The Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty has specific language written in about excluding warranty on a Mopar Lift unless additional coverage was purchased.
Nick,

Yikes. I better go read the fine print. Either way, I'm certainly in a better position having the dealership install the lift. But thanks for the clarity, I'll need to go read the fine print. The Service Manager did indeed say that any other lift other than Mopar would indeed void the Powertrain Warranty.

I personally puchased the Mopar Extended unlimited mileage but limited to seven year package. This is my first Jeep and didn't know what sorts of things break during normal driving.

If I had known about this forum before purchase, I probably wouln't have. There is a lot of help available here.

Thanks,
Jay

Mmaengine

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
As for the question on headliners helping with noise.....It helps a little but it’s still louder than a standard SUV. I’m glad I installed. I went with hotheads headliners with sound assassin strips. Very easy install and they were relatively inexpensive. The biggest benefit is that they do an amazing job keeping temperatures down when your Jeep has been in the sun.

Blades

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
I know it’s not suppose to. It’s definitely an issue, but from what I can see there isn’t a recall on the steering box which is the culprit. As soon as fca Admits the mistake and implements a fix I’ll be happy. Till then I’ve gotta find a solution lol
There may not be a recall but there is service bulletin for the dead spot. They replaced my steering box and it's a 100% better. I believe there has been an update to the steering box.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I installed a Synergy trackbar brace with the sector shaft brace on my JLUR. It made no detectable difference to me. My JLUR has no lift and stock BFG K02 285-70R17 tires/wheels.

To be fair, I had already installed a Steersmarts trackbar last fall, which eliminated about 75-80% of the "free play", "wandering" , etc.. I did not install a different steering stablilizer or any other component. My steering stabilizer was the "AD" version, if my memory is right (but that's questionable).

There was still a bit of "free play" left in the system. I'd say it was 1/2 to 1" at the steering wheel. I checked the joints on the tierod and draglink. There was no discernable play in them.

When the draglink was off of the pitman arm, I checked the freeplay in the pitman arm. It "clunked" back and forth about 1/16 to 3/32".
I then decided then that I'd be willing to deal with the possibility that I'd lose warranty on the steering box by adjusting the sector gear engagement. I broke loose the jamb nut on the adjuster with a little heat and adjusted the backlash of the sector shaft until there was about .010-.020" backlash at the pitman arm end. This was done at about 70F temperature in the center range of the steering. I checked it for freedom of movement before attaching the draglink.

My recommendation is to use the funds you were going to use on the Synergy trackbar/sector brace for a Steersmarts Yeti Pro trackbar.
When you made the adjustments to the gear box any idea how far you turned the adjusting but? 1/8-1/4 turn?

Sponsored

OP
OP

blkhawk_jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
There may not be a recall but there is service bulletin for the dead spot. They replaced my steering box and it's a 100% better. I believe there has been an update to the steering box.
Can you link to the bulletin? I'd like to see if my dealer would replace my box as well then

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
When you made the adjustments to the gear box any idea how far you turned the adjusting but? 1/8-1/4 turn?
No. Because I had to back it way off to break the thread locker free. Then I just started setting the backlash from scratch. Make sure you set it with the wheels pointed straight ahead, since the gears are ground to be tighter in the center of the steering. If you tighten the gear lash with the wheels turned, it will bind in the center. Disconnect the draglink so you can feel the backlash on the pitman arm.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
... and on the flip side I'm always surprised when someone expects an expensive truck to drive the same as an expensive sports car just because they both are expensive; the driving experiences do seem to be converging more than diverging though. ;)
I don't care if it's a sports car, heavy duty truck, or Jeep... this amount of flex between the steering box & frame is not acceptable for any vehicle.

Currentg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Mine is bone stock, daily driver. I havent seen or felt anything I thought I needed to fix.
I agree with Mikeoso. I have a stock Sport S and it is my daily driver and the trip to an from work is the bright spot of my day. Love driving my Jeep.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I don't care if it's a sports car, heavy duty truck, or Jeep... this amount of flex between the steering box & frame is not acceptable for any vehicle.
Totally agree, flex brings fatigue and eventually failure.
Sponsored