agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
TL;DR: Short Answer: Consider your situation and your plan. Look at the costs involved for both options and weigh them out.
Wow.

Thank you for writing out that “dissertation” .

It honestly is very much appreciated, both to hear your conclusion and simply to know that other people have agonized over this decision as much as I have. I had thought of the “hidden” insurance and registration costs and it definitely all adds up.

I am now heavily leaning towards the new JLU with a mild build over the old Jeep, for now at least. All the comments from those with families really makes me want to share this hobby with the entire family, especially as the kids get older. Nothing to say there can’t be an old project Jeep years down the line in addition the the JLU.
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Wow.

Thank you for writing out that “dissertation” .

It honestly is very much appreciated, both to hear your conclusion and simply to know that other people have agonized over this decision as much as I have. I had thought of the “hidden” insurance and registration costs and it definitely all adds up.

I am now heavily leaning towards the new JLU with a mild build over the old Jeep, for now at least. All the comments from those with families really makes me want to share this hobby with the entire family, especially as the kids get older. Nothing to say there can’t be an old project Jeep years down the line in addition the the JLU.
No dissertation this time, I promise.

I hadn't considered the insurance cost. Once I did, that priced out the other options.

Honestly, I'm finding out if you live anywhere remotely close to the rust belt, and you do any real amount of winter driving and mild off roading, your best bet is probably just to buy one, do a small build , daily drive it, and then get another/ trade in before it starts to rust out. It's different if you work from home, or have a sweet garage set up, or can afford a daily driver, or even if the Jeep has some sentimental value. I honestly haven't decided yet. I may keep this Jeep long term (15+ years, if it lasts) because it's the first vehicle i ever ordered. I may trade it on a JT in a few years if I decide I need the pick up bed functionality more. I'm leaning toward the former.

Honestly, I'd love to take on a project Jeep, when I'm in a more stable living situation (i.e. not renting an apartment, in my own house with a sweet garage set up). Still haven't decided yet if I would go classic resto-mod on an oddball Jeep, or build a more modern one for really stupid things (like the whole v8 and 1 tons idea). If it's not my main vehicle, and i have the space, I'll have the option to take my time. I guess we'll see.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Why are you asking a forum? You have no options. Ask your wife. Then salute and execute. :captain:
(it's the 4 door JL dummy);)

The only bargaining chip you may have is which model to get. Get the Rubicon and forget about spending your weekends modifying a Sport. You have no time with a litter of kids. Your time is your wife's and kid's. Own it. ... I mean the 4 door Rubicon, of course.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Exactly what happened :captain:

upload_2019-12-14_8-12-58.jpeg
OK, I missed the fact that this was posted 4 months ago. Glad to see you have an Unlimited. Very town friendly.
Sponsored