Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Wow. I got to post #555 and had to stop.

I've owned 8 different Jeep products over the years. I currently drive a '19 WK2 that I love. My last Wrangler was a '95 YJ (yeah, I had one of them). Sold it for an XJ which I had a couple of. Also had a couple of old CJ5's. I've always loved my Jeeps.

My YJ couldn't keep paint on the hinges at all - they would corrode something terrible which drove me nuts, because like most of you, I took meticulous care of it. Doors were metal though, so I didn't have any rust issues on them.

I bring this all up because my SO has been wanting a Wrangler, and I found a nice used 2020 Mojito! JLU that I'm going to travel 3 hours to look at. Now, after this thread and everyone's problems, I'm scared of what I might be getting into and wondering if I'm making a mistake...
Buying a Jeep is always a bad idea, but we do it anyway…🤪

I know you understand by simply looking at your avatar. 😉
Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'm just a glutton for punishment... :LOL:

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Wow. I got to post #555 and had to stop.

I've owned 8 different Jeep products over the years. I currently drive a '19 WK2 that I love. My last Wrangler was a '95 YJ (yeah, I had one of them). Sold it for an XJ which I had a couple of. Also had a couple of old CJ5's. I've always loved my Jeeps.

My YJ couldn't keep paint on the hinges at all - they would corrode something terrible which drove me nuts, because like most of you, I took meticulous care of it. Doors were metal though, so I didn't have any rust issues on them.

I bring this all up because my SO has been wanting a Wrangler, and I found a nice used 2020 Mojito! JLU that I'm going to travel 3 hours to look at. Now, after this thread and everyone's problems, I'm scared of what I might be getting into and wondering if I'm making a mistake...
I would ask for close up pics of the complete Jeep before you drove there . Just saying

tavani21

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willys
How far will the bubbles spread if left alone? Another 1/4 - 1/2 inch, or several inches?

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
How far will the bubbles spread if left alone? Another 1/4 - 1/2 inch, or several inches?
Corrosion doesn’t stop it keeps going! Several inches and beyond.

PumpkinMeatloaf

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Punk'n Edition
So I have 9 spots of corrosion on my 2019 less than 25k miles, and took it to the dealer. They approved warranty repair. I go to pick it up and the "color" they painted it was a noticeable difference, So now my Punk'n jeep is only punk'n on 1 door of 4 and the whole rear of the jeep, the cowls on the hood and grill, The rest is like a peachish looking orange. Needless to say but I left it with them to fix.....i just hope their fix isn't matching the rest of the jeep to the "new" shade.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
So I have 9 spots of corrosion on my 2019 less than 25k miles, and took it to the dealer. They approved warranty repair. I go to pick it up and the "color" they painted it was a noticeable difference, So now my Punk'n jeep is only punk'n on 1 door of 4 and the whole rear of the jeep, the cowls on the hood and grill, The rest is like a peachish looking orange. Needless to say but I left it with them to fix.....i just hope their fix isn't matching the rest of the jeep to the "new" shade.
Good luck

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm still waiting for warranty repair. I went in Oct 2021 and they took pictures. Jeep wanted to see what was under the bubbles, so now I have black 'protection' paint on my Hella Yella where they scraped off the yellow. No response on that yet. This is in Canada

Crownline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
So how long does it take for Jeep to approve these claims when pictures are sent? Supposedly pics of mine were sent the Monday after Thanksgiving. No word from the dealer or Jeep since. I contacted @JeepCares to ask if there was a way they could tell if the pictures made it to Jeep and they said no, that I needed to ask the dealer.

Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
So how long does it take for Jeep to approve these claims when pictures are sent? Supposedly pics of mine were sent the Monday after Thanksgiving. No word from the dealer or Jeep since. I contacted @JeepCares to ask if there was a way they could tell if the pictures made it to Jeep and they said no, that I needed to ask the dealer.
I'm still waiting for my claim to go through. About a year and a half later. One dealer took pictures and ghosted me. The other said that they didn't want to be responsible for the repairs they wouldn't be able to fix.

I traded it in.

PumpkinMeatloaf

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had my looked at and quoted at the beginning of Dec 2021 and they scheduled and "finished" it on Jan 2022 except they still have it and they are trying to fix the matching discrepancy.

NewJ33P3R

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler jl
I bought my punkn jeep jl in December noticed the paint bubbling brought it to the autobody shop that Jeep/Dodge dealer uses in my town, They sent the claim and pictures in for me...repair was approved in a few days and I am getting it next month. Hope they can match the paint...LOLO

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm still waiting for my claim to go through. About a year and a half later. One dealer took pictures and ghosted me. The other said that they didn't want to be responsible for the repairs they wouldn't be able to fix.

I traded it in.
What did you trade towards ?

PumpkinMeatloaf

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought my punkn jeep jl in December noticed the paint bubbling brought it to the autobody shop that Jeep/Dodge dealer uses in my town, They sent the claim and pictures in for me...repair was approved in a few days and I am getting it next month. Hope they can match the paint...LOLO
Good luck, they did 30 swatches of paint shades and still eff'd mine up.
Sponsored