Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I feel better with all new 4 doors and new hood and tailgate and all new hinges. Properly prepped and painted at the dealership bodyshop as a warranty claim
Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
@TheNewGuy
I just read that this morning and it specifically states the extensive reports on forums and @JeepCares in the complaint.

The main reason I traded my 18' JLU Wrangler was due to the extensive corrosion and lack of support from dealerships. The second reason was the terrible manual transmission and recalls. I felt like the Jeep would eventually turn into a money pit and took my losses. I leased the Jeep with the thought of possibly buying out. I traded to a 21' JT Gladiator after spending thousands of dollars on my Wrangler in payments. I gave Jeep another chance and bought the Gladiator "hoping" it wouldn't happen again. I have 5k miles and haven't seen any corrosion yet. It's upsetting to see the 21' Gladiator is also affected in the lawsuit.

This is not a minor issue. I will definitely include myself in the class action lawsuit. The company definitely mislead it's customers and knew about this problem early on in production. Ignored it for enrichment at it's customers expense.

Acme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara Altitude V6
Sad that such lawsuits can't be worldwide. If this one is successful I hope another one will be filed in Canada (where I live), and in other countries.

I bought my 2019 used without knowing about this issue, and I didn't see the corrosion before I got it home. I never thought I would see such an horror show on a 2 years old Jeep that was otherwise looking like it was brand new and very well maintained by its previous owner. Have I known, I wouldn't have bought it. Now I'm stuck with this mess, not even 6 months into my ownership.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
@Acme

I hope some aftermarket steel doors, hood, tailgates come out at some point. I don't mind 1mpg loss for 200 extra lbs of weight. I would rather have steel doors than crusty, crumbling, deteriorating panels all around the Jeep.

The other option is the bestop cloth doors and aftermarket hoods.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Great. So now the lawyers are gonna get filthy rich, and Jeep owners will get $3.00.
That is the really unfortunate part. Hopefully, though, it will force them to make a change at plant for future to prevent the problem going forward - accountability!

Acme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The other option is the bestop cloth doors and aftermarket hoods.
Not a realistic option (cloth doors) for us up north.

I totally understand the "it's a Jeep thing" and I "accept" it for the most part but I bought a whole Jeep, not one I have to discard and replace most external parts/panels because they are junk.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
That is the really unfortunate part. Hopefully, though, it will force them to make a change at plant for future to prevent the problem going forward - accountability!
Class action lawsuits are a jokeā€¦this lawsuit has not been certified which will likely take another year or two. After that the talks with Stellantis start. The best outcome owners can hope for us a long term warranty to fix the problemā€¦.and it will be three years before we know anything. All I know for sure, the lawyers will make $$$$.

Reactions: VNT

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Fellow Canadian here. Check out my previous posts in this thread. I have a 2018 but got all 4 doors, hinges and a new hood and a tailgate via warranty. Proper prep work before painting. Took a while but it was worth it

Sponsored

SteveFookie

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JLUR
I am having the same issues with my doors and hinges. I have been talking with Jeep and was getting the runaround. One dealership took photos and never submitted them to start a case. A month later, jeep claims that no case was started with my VIN. I then went to a different dealership with an in-house body shop. still waiting for them to submit the photos and write up the work order. They told me that the doors would be covered but not the hinges because the hinges are considered ā€œhardwareā€ not body panels. Going to have to wait and see what they say, but I am not happy about a Jeep costing as much as it did and having issues like this that they claim they wonā€™t cover. My Jeep has been garage kept for majority of its time. If they donā€™t fix this it might be the last Jeep I ever own.

D40C76E0-2099-4C19-AA13-954116CB722E.jpeg

8C71A931-0A5A-4DF8-B2D7-A74F4BF98514.jpeg

37A6ACC7-485C-4493-9BCB-0475A1EBB8C6.jpeg

EDE40BCE-7E2E-462A-96C2-DEF9503989A3.jpeg

Acme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My doors were mostly intact when I submitted my case (the corrosion was mainly on hinges), and they replaced all 8 hinges and repainted everything. Twice. So keep pushing. This is not acceptable.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
I am having the same issues with my doors and hinges. I have been talking with Jeep and was getting the runaround. One dealership took photos and never submitted them to start a case. A month later, jeep claims that no case was started with my VIN. I then went to a different dealership with an in-house body shop. still waiting for them to submit the photos and write up the work order. They told me that the doors would be covered but not the hinges because the hinges are considered ā€œhardwareā€ not body panels. Going to have to wait and see what they say, but I am not happy about a Jeep costing as much as it did and having issues like this that they claim they wonā€™t cover. My Jeep has been garage kept for majority of its time. If they donā€™t fix this it might be the last Jeep I ever own.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges EDE40BCE-7E2E-462A-96C2-DEF9503989A3

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges EDE40BCE-7E2E-462A-96C2-DEF9503989A3

Complete BS that hinges are not covered. This is a manufacturing/process defect. Stay after the dealership and get @JeepCares involved. Stellantis needs to make this right. Yours is one of the worst I have seen - good luck and let us know how it goes. Are you the original owner? When was yours built?

SteveFookie

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JLUR
Complete BS that hinges are not covered. This is a manufacturing/process defect. Stay after the dealership and get @JeepCares involved. Stellantis needs to make this right. Yours is one of the worst I have seen - good luck and let us know how it goes. Are you the original owner? When was yours built?
I am the original owner. I bought it September 2018. It has 55,000 miles now but the paint has been bubbling for a while now. Just recently decided to search this issue and found the chatter about warranty. If I knew this all sooner, I would have made noise earlier. This is my 3rd jeep over the years and this will be the last if they screw me over on this. This was not a cheap Jeep.

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
I am the original owner. I bought it September 2018. It has 55,000 miles now but the paint has been bubbling for a while now. Just recently decided to search this issue and found the chatter about warranty. If I knew this all sooner, I would have made noise earlier. This is my 3rd jeep over the years and this will be the last if they screw me over on this. This was not a cheap Jeep.
Hi,

My wife's 2015 JKUR had the same issue, luckily it was only the hinges, it was 4 years and 8 months old and they covered new hinges no real hassle, sorry to hear you are getting the run around, but maybe point out it's coming from the inside out not from a rock chip.

Good luck,
Jim
Sponsored