Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

PiroJeep96

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Got mine back on Friday, took two weeks but way better than the first attempt. They ended up repainting all 4 doors again, B pillar, body hinges, door hinges, jams, as well as parts of the front and rear qtrs along with buffing them to blend the new doors to the rest of the Jeep. I think they did pretty good this time. I really hope the corrosion doesnā€™t come back!
Sponsored

s_a_n_d_y

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
If your close to the end of your 3/36, find another dealer or ensure that they open a work order to ensure that it is logged.
Dealership said the estimate provided is within the "acceptable chrysler warranty variance".

I have a work order opened now even though the scheduled drop off day for repair is the day after my 3/36 expires. (body shop is very busy but I should be good to go, right?)

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Just stopped by my local Jeep Dealership for the bubbling paint repair. The dealer said they were sending it to Chrysler with a report for the warranty claim. I was told to expect 3 to 8 weeks to hear back. Apparently they have a list of 12 Jeeps for the same paint repair in the que. The guy at the service window was not sure if the bubbling paint on the door was going to be covered but he said he would double check.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_2797
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_2798

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Longtime reader...
First of all, thank you to all for this forum. I'm not one to post much anywhere but through these discussion threads, I've learned quite a bit of info.

So unfortunately, I just recently found the paint bubbling issue (door and hinge areas).

I've been told by my local dealership that it's on me to get an estimate from a local body shop, then the dealership will take that estimate and submit to Chrysler to see if it will be covered.
***I was under the impression the dealership would start the whole process by taking pics first...
I will note the dealership could not find the service bulletin in their system when I mentioned it in person. I've since provided them that info via email, but they are still directing me to go get an estimate first. Is this standard practice?

I'm still under the 3/36K warranty for just a couple more weeks.

Hi @s_a_n_d_y,

Please send our team a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer so that we can provide support while your Jeep is in service for this repair.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Just stopped by my local Jeep Dealership for the bubbling paint repair. The dealer said they were sending it to Chrysler with a report for the warranty claim. I was told to expect 3 to 8 weeks to hear back. Apparently they have a list of 12 Jeeps for the same paint repair in the que. The guy at the service window was not sure if the bubbling paint on the door was going to be covered but he said he would double check.

Thatā€™s atrocious. Not sure why it takes so much time to make a decision...something that is clearly the result of poor paint prep. Good luck.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Day 12 at the dealership for the repair. In two days, I leave to go to North Carolina. If my Jeep is not done, I am driving their loner JLU Sahara to North Carolina.

I will be nice and stop at the dealership before I go as the loner is down to 9% for the oil life and will have them change it before I leave on a 2000+ mile road trip with their Jeep.

ziggybumwah

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Camaro Z28
Thatā€™s atrocious. Not sure why it takes so much time to make a decision...something that is clearly the result of poor paint prep. Good luck.

Iā€™m in the same boat. Took the Jeep to the dealer 3 wks ago to get the bubbling paint documented. Called yesterday and they said Chrysler had not gotten back to them yet. Iā€™m near the end of my 3/36 wondering if itā€™s a stall technique.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Iā€™m in the same boat. Took the Jeep to the dealer 3 wks ago to get the bubbling paint documented. Called yesterday and they said Chrysler had not gotten back to them yet. Iā€™m near the end of my 3/36 wondering if itā€™s a stall technique.
The part of the warranty that cover the bubbling in the paint is good for 60,000 miles and five years I believe.

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
The part of the warranty that cover the bubbling in the paint is good for 60,000 miles and five years I believe.
It's actually 5 years and unlimited miles, and it also only covers it there are holes (see attached). But as stated many people are getting the repair covered even without holes.

Warranty Page 8.jpg

Sponsored

jfman

First Name
J-F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 accord, BMW 325XIT
What are your guesses as to what they will look like in 10years time for those who live in the rust belt?

Are looking at huge missing chunks of paint and large oxidized aluminum areas around the hinges?

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Not sure if it's related but my new JL order 5/15 has set in "Paint Stage for 5+ weeks, 38 days. Paint Stage usually won't even show up because it's less than a day or a day. I got tired of Jeep Chat and shoot Jeep CS an email asking for an explanation and to be assigned a Jeep Brand Mentor.
Their replay was that I have been assigned a new VON, contact my dealer. I have yet to hear back from my dealer. Sets in Paint for 5 weeks, then a I get a new Vehicle Order Number, pretty much starting over?? New vehicle, new VIN. WTH?? I guess I should be glad someone caught it. Check your paint good on delivery folks.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Got mine back on Friday, took two weeks but way better than the first attempt. They ended up repainting all 4 doors again, B pillar, body hinges, door hinges, jams, as well as parts of the front and rear qtrs along with buffing them to blend the new doors to the rest of the Jeep. I think they did pretty good this time. I really hope the corrosion doesnā€™t come back!
That's like most of the truck. They should have just let you pick a new color while they were at it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are your guesses as to what they will look like in 10years time for those who live in the rust belt?

Are looking at huge missing chunks of paint and large oxidized aluminum areas around the hinges?
Jeep had this issue way back when I had my 1997 TJ. The tail gate hinges. Yeah, that's what it will pretty much look like over time. Paint flakes and white powdery aluminum.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Day 12 at the dealership for the repair. In two days, I leave to go to North Carolina. If my Jeep is not done, I am driving their loner JLU Sahara to North Carolina.

I will be nice and stop at the dealership before I go as the loner is down to 9% for the oil life and will have them change it before I leave on a 2000+ mile road trip with their Jeep.
My JLR was in the shop for over a month for warranty work and I put over 2K miles on the 3-4 different loaners I rotated through.
Sponsored