Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
If anyone is able to answer:

How do I go abut getting a loaner ride while they have mine? This be my only means of transpo (other than bikes but they dont see inclement weather)
Hmm? Sounds very odd. This is the second time in for corrosion and both times received a courtesy rental from National because the dealer had no loaner vehicle available. FCA should fully reimburse the dealer for the total rental cost so long as the warranty repairs have been pre-approved.

Maybe check with the service manager as sometimes the advisor is not informed or makes mistakes. Here is a copy of the document we signed at National this morning. Zero cost was payable as it was a “Business House Purchase Order”. But you do need to have a credit card for the refundable deposit. Also you can confirm with the rental who will pay. They informed that if additional days are required they will contact the dealer for approval.

Anyways would ask again and refer to this screenshot. Or could just be some dealers have their own protocols and find this too much hassle. As they probs have to pay then get reimbursed by FCA. In that case contact FCA Customer Service or Jeep Cares to see if they can approve for you.

B8E8E27E-783A-4278-913B-D9569FC98AB2.jpeg
Sponsored

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was in for about 3 weeks, I ended up with 5 new hinges and a new hood. The dealership did a really good job matching paint, can't even tell that anything was repainted. I'm really happy with it I just hope the corrosion doesn't come back

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I had this issue with my 2012 JK, total nightmare. I thought they fixed this issue years ago. Anyone know if this issue is still happening with 2021 models? I am waiting for my new Rubi to arrive

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I had this issue with my 2012 JK, total nightmare. I thought they fixed this issue years ago. Anyone know if this issue is still happening with 2021 models? I am waiting for my new Rubi to arrive
Yes it absolutely is still an issue

Sponsored

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I actually just had my oem hinges sandblasted and powder coated. I still am using fluid film on the bare metal under the hinges on the doors and for the tailgate and hood hinges . Here’s how they look

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_9476.JPG
Does the powder coat on the bolts hold up to you taking them off and then Torquing then when you put them back on.

JSKAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Can anyone tell me if their dealer only repainted the exterior (door mounted) portion of the hinge? Or did they repaint both halves? My dealer only did the exterior portion. This seems odd to me. I would think if there was a paint issue on half the hinge, the whole hinge would have have problem.

I am also a bit upset because they took three weeks to do this (told me three days at drop-off) and when I went to pick it up, notice they had scratched up the new paint on the drivers side door. So I get to drop it off again here in the near future. My 2018 Jeep (with <25k miles) has been at the dealer for a little over 10 weeks this year.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Does the powder coat on the bolts hold up to you taking them off and then Torquing then when you put them back on.
it does but the powder coat in the heads of the bolt made it so that my torx bit wouldnt fit anymore unless i hammered it in, which i didnt want to do. i had an extra set of oem door hinge torx bolts and painted them with a black rustoleum, matches close enough and it can easily be touched up and you cant notice.

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
it does but the powder coat in the heads of the bolt made it so that my torx bit wouldnt fit anymore unless i hammered it in, which i didnt want to do. i had an extra set of oem door hinge torx bolts and painted them with a black rustoleum, matches close enough and it can easily be touched up and you cant notice.
Good idea! I have used the rustoleum trick myself!

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
Corrosion reports here are awful. Truly sorry for those Jeepers dealing with this inexcusable, ongoing problem. For those of us with ‘21 Wranglers (or anyone not showing corrosion….yet), I’m using “Corrosion Block” on hinges and elsewhere. I own a boat here on Coronado (San Diego) and Corrosion Block is a must-have. I use it to stop advancement and/or block corrosion from starting on everything metal. It works. Available on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_9476.JPG
Just ordered this myself based upon your input. I’m torn between applying this regularly or getting new hinges and having them powder coated like @jmkrubicon. I like the simplicity of your solution but am concerned it won’t seep far enough to solve the issue. So disappointed that I have this worry and I don’t even have my vehicle yet. Ugh!

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
So I get the corrosion where dissimilar metals meet and/or are uncoated, but what the heck is Jeep screwing up to see this happen at the bottom of doors? Clogged drains that lets water just sit and corrode the door?

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I can tell you right now that the back side of all 8 of my hinges were black and had zero corrosion on them. It is the unpainted door that is the issue. Also the bottom of the doors and hood seem to be more of a bad prep job and adhesion issue causing that. There is not even a dissimilar metal anywhere near the edges of the hood. The shop who painted mine also had some Grand Cherokee’s with hood bubbles so not just a wrangler issue

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I can tell you right now that the back side of all 8 of my hinges were black and had zero corrosion on them. It is the unpainted door that is the issue. Also the bottom of the doors and hood seem to be more of a bad prep job and adhesion issue causing that. There is not even a dissimilar metal anywhere near the edges of the hood. The shop who painted mine also had some Grand Cherokee’s with hood bubbles so not just a wrangler issue
Did they come from the factory black or did you do that after?