Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
They look like this on the back
5C2D47C6-7BDA-4760-858B-B8140926A41A.jpeg
How thin of a piece of plastic film would be ample enough to protect against this in the future? Once i have mine done that is what i think ill do. Huge selection from McMaster-Carr. Any thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 1623462650617
Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
How thin of a piece of plastic film would be ample enough to protect against this in the future? Once i have mine done that is what i think ill do. Huge selection from McMaster-Carr. Any thoughts?

Iā€™d say you could go as thin as you want, that way youā€™d be less likely to see a gap between the hinge and the door. I originally thought of doing this but I chose to treat the bare metal on the door and the bolts with fluid film instead. If you could get something thatā€™s dielectric, it would be best since it would slow down any galvanic corrosion. I really feel that the steel bolts going into the aluminum hinge/door is whatā€™s causing this.

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
Corrosion reports here are awful. Truly sorry for those Jeepers dealing with this inexcusable, ongoing problem. For those of us with ā€˜21 Wranglers (or anyone not showing corrosionā€¦.yet), Iā€™m using ā€œCorrosion Blockā€ on hinges and elsewhere. I own a boat here on Coronado (San Diego) and Corrosion Block is a must-have. I use it to stop advancement and/or block corrosion from starting on everything metal. It works. Available on Amazon.

Where do you see this is safe for car paint?

s_a_n_d_y

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Longtime reader...
First of all, thank you to all for this forum. I'm not one to post much anywhere but through these discussion threads, I've learned quite a bit of info.

So unfortunately, I just recently found the paint bubbling issue (door and hinge areas).

I've been told by my local dealership that it's on me to get an estimate from a local body shop, then the dealership will take that estimate and submit to Chrysler to see if it will be covered.
***I was under the impression the dealership would start the whole process by taking pics first...
I will note the dealership could not find the service bulletin in their system when I mentioned it in person. I've since provided them that info via email, but they are still directing me to go get an estimate first. Is this standard practice?

I'm still under the 3/36K warranty for just a couple more weeks.

door.jpg

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Longtime reader...
First of all, thank you to all for this forum. I'm not one to post much anywhere but through these discussion threads, I've learned quite a bit of info.

So unfortunately, I just recently found the paint bubbling issue (door and hinge areas).

I've been told by my local dealership that it's on me to get an estimate from a local body shop, then the dealership will take that estimate and submit to Chrysler to see if it will be covered.
***I was under the impression the dealership would start the whole process by taking pics first...
I will note the dealership could not find the service bulletin in their system when I mentioned it in person. I've since provided them that info via email, but they are still directing me to go get an estimate first. Is this standard practice?

I'm still under the 3/36K warranty for just a couple more weeks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges door
maybe the dealership does not have a bodyshop?
I have appointment to have my steering gear box replaced/inspected...
Asked about the paint issues, they referred me to their "sister" dealership about 10 miles south.. they have the bodyshop at their location...

Sponsored

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I would prefer to have been given the choice to go to the autobody place of my choice not theirs. The place the dealer sent me to would not have been my first choice.

s_a_n_d_y

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
maybe the dealership does not have a bodyshop?
I have appointment to have my steering gear box replaced/inspected...
Asked about the paint issues, they referred me to their "sister" dealership about 10 miles south.. they have the bodyshop at their location...
They definitely don't have a body shop so yeah, that might very well be the reason! I just thought they would begin documenting the process maybe?

s_a_n_d_y

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I would prefer to have been given the choice to go to the autobody place of my choice not theirs. The place the dealer sent me to would not have been my first choice.
Good point! Not many options here but yeah that's understandable.

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've read on this forum before...
Because it's warranty repairs, you have to either have the dealership perform repairs or their recommended bodyshop. I know that dealerships are paid by the manufacturer, usually at a lower rate than privately owned bodyshops....

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
They definitely don't have a body shop so yeah, that might very well be the reason! I just thought they would begin documenting the process maybe?
If your close to the end of your 3/36, find another dealer or ensure that they open a work order to ensure that it is logged.

Sponsored

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
I am going through the buy back process for 2nd time right now. Yes 2nd with JL. Electrical stuff is why with 2019 but has bubbling around hinges too. Just order 2021 and asked corporate guy if have figured something out on hinges and paint issues. He said not doing anything, there are no paint issues. So I guess everyone on here is dreaming or something. Sad. Until people start leaving wonā€™t do anything I guess. Sad

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I am going through the buy back process for 2nd time right now. Yes 2nd with JL. Electrical stuff is why with 2019 but has bubbling around hinges too. Just order 2021 and asked corporate guy if have figured something out on hinges and paint issues. He said not doing anything, there are no paint issues. So I guess everyone on here is dreaming or something. Sad. Until people start leaving wonā€™t do anything I guess. Sad
Disappointing

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I dropped my JLUR off at the dealer yesterday. They said it would be up to three weeks to get it done as they are swamped with work. On the plus side, I have no wheeling trip until the July 4th weekend. They gave me a JLU Sahara to drive.

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I JUST noticed my rear drivers hinge started bubbling...thought it was a unique case until I found this 86 page thread...at least my misery has company. Still got a year of warranty but getting things fixed at the stealership is usually a pain.

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I picked up my 2021 4xe this week and immediately used Corrosion Block as recommended by someone on this thread. I will tell you that spraying the top horizontal part of the hinge and letting it sit would lead to it leaking out the bottom which tells me the paint is not sealing the area between the hinge and the door effectively. I have no idea if this stuff will help or not but I figure it is something easy I can do every month as a preventative measure.
Sponsored