Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Kate,

Is there a Product Manager you're able to reach out to that you can provide this info? As a product manager for a Fortune 500 Company I'd want to see a 60+ page thread on an issue, even if I was aware of the issue. I have a 2021 Wrangler, and while I haven't had any rust yet, I'm terrified of having it happen, and a body shop trying to match Sting Gray.
I have sting gray too :.(
Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If they cannot do it at their dealership, then it is incumbent on them to transport your vehicle to either a body shop or a dealership that can do the work. It isnt up to you to drive all over the place.
This is how it *should* be, but I would be shocked if you found any shop that would be willing to do this for paint. I would be double shocked if they offered without a customer asking.
Unfortunate reality of the business.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
stop whining. It would be necessary to be able to confirm the origin of this corrosion. your Wrangler is from June 2018, mine is from July 2018 and I have nothing. Why ?? This is the real question: Preventive treatment with Waxoil before delivery? or regular spraying of WD40 between doors and hinges (all)? since reading this post mid 2019. or luck ... ? And why no one says anything (yet) about the tailgate
Tailgate is magnesium, doors are aluminum. Perhaps some difference in the metal reactions.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Also to those who are getting repainted, chances are you will be back again in a year (many are on their 2nd repaint already).

Jeep needs a real fix at the factory level and a TSB to retrofit all the JLs out there that have the same issue (they all have the same flaw of dissimilar metals and BARE METAL under the hinges). To those who don't have it it's only a matter of time. Aluminum already has enough issues with poor prep (panel/door edge bubbling) without Jeep's corner cutting of painting after assembly.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Tailgate is magnesium, doors are aluminum. Perhaps some difference in the metal reactions.
There are cases of corrosion on the tailgate. I unbolted my hinges and they’re bare metal underneath there, just like all the others. Sprayed fluid film on all the bare metal and torqued them back up

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Also to those who are getting repainted, chances are you will be back again in a year (many are on their 2nd repaint already).

Jeep needs a real fix at the factory level and a TSB to retrofit all the JLs out there that have the same issue (they all have the same flaw of dissimilar metals and BARE METAL under the hinges). To those who don't have it it's only a matter of time. Aluminum already has enough issues with poor prep (panel/door edge bubbling) without Jeep's corner cutting of painting after assembly.

THIS!!!

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Well...I took it in to Brigham Gill Jeep Collision Center in Natick at 8am. They were still not excited about me wanting it done....
They marked the areas, and asked me to show others. I said “ I’m assuming you will be checking the whole door if a little shows on the hinges??”
The answer was, and I quote:
“Nope, you show me bubbling and that’s where I’ll fix it...but this color is the worst to match”
Not feeling the warm and fuzzies...
🤞🏼🙏🏼

D65D0C79-8AA7-4A5D-83AF-62A12459995E.jpeg

83FE91F4-F3B5-4907-87F7-5E22BDDCC500.jpeg

420F2E41-C743-4EE6-BF70-0E42F7395396.jpeg

8BE7832B-8AF4-4293-9B75-0BD0268FC07E.jpeg

CC59931D-4A0D-4689-B0AF-F9AF7A73F30D.jpeg
I hope your shop matched the color better then mine did..... If i had known the color was not going to match after the repair i would have waited till.

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
There are cases of corrosion on the tailgate. I unbolted my hinges and they’re bare metal underneath there, just like all the others. Sprayed fluid film on all the bare metal and torqued them back up
I squirt WD40 every month and systematically after rain or washing. Here some Jeepers put epoxy under all the hinges and doors. It is systematically observed that there is no paint under the hinges and on the doors. This is the solution for JEEP, put paint or undercoat in these places. But what work have been done by the employees who have been in quality control at JEEP since mid 2019 and the first bubbles?
We don't see them anymore the JeepCare ...

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Time to go back to the all steel doors. What an extra couple of pounds? I think i saw somewhere there are Steel skins available somewhere.

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I just noticed over the weekend that my rear doors are both starting to bubble.... again... This is the second time this has occurred. The dealership had my rig for a week last time. Hope they make it right and get it fixed correctly this time.

Sponsored

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
Exercise Therapist/Martial Artist
I hope your shop matched the color better then mine did..... If i had known the color was not going to match after the repair i would have waited till.
What dealer did you use??

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I squirt WD40 every month and systematically after rain or washing. Here some Jeepers put epoxy under all the hinges and doors. It is systematically observed that there is no paint under the hinges and on the doors. This is the solution for JEEP, put paint or undercoat in these places. But what work have been done by the employees who have been in quality control at JEEP since mid 2019 and the first bubbles?
We don't see them anymore the JeepCare ...
Yeah I mean this has happened all the way back to the JK’s and I’m sure even before, they’ve never painted the body panels before putting the hinges on. I’m not sure that they’re going to change anything because I’m sure it’s a small % of warranty claims in the grand scheme of things. Some people won’t even notice, and not all people have this issue during their ownership.

I 100% agree with you That they should change how they manufacture these and paint the bare metal. I just highly doubt that will ever happen considering how long they’ve been making them like this. If mine still develops corrosion after all of my effort in preventing this, I’ll just trade it in on a bronco without much thought. Really don’t want to have to do that tho!

JoeJeepJL

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
All four doors on my '18 Wrangler Sahara appear to be rusting, which seems crazy given that I live in CA and the vehicle is garaged half the time. I bought it new and have had for 2.5 years. The best the selling dealer would do was direct me to Chrysler Capital or a local dealer. I'm unable to navigate the Chrysler Capital phone tree because I paid cash for the Jeep and don't have a lease/loan account. I cannot get the service manager at the local dealer to return my call. I've been a pretty loyal Jeep owner over the years, and had been contemplating a Grand Wagoneer purchase, but this whole situation really gives me pause about the brand. Any advice?

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
All four doors on my '18 Wrangler Sahara appear to be rusting, which seems crazy given that I live in CA and the vehicle is garaged half the time. I bought it new and have had for 2.5 years. The best the selling dealer would do was direct me to Chrysler Capital or a local dealer. I'm unable to navigate the Chrysler Capital phone tree because I paid cash for the Jeep and don't have a lease/loan account. I cannot get the service manager at the local dealer to return my call. I've been a pretty loyal Jeep owner over the years, and had been contemplating a Grand Wagoneer purchase, but this whole situation really gives me pause about the brand. Any advice?

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg
I would get it real good and dirty on a mud trail, then trade ‘er in (dont wash it afterwards so the dealer won’t see the corrosion)
Sponsored