Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I get this is a really old thread, and this is a really old post, and I get that all manufacturers have these issues, some worse than others...

How do you even notice that?

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges huh

That's like King of the mall crawlers level awareness. I mean it comes with four low and solid axles in 2023, it's definitely not meant to be perfect, it's definitely meant to get banged up!

Bubbles in the paint are the least of my worries. I mean a scratch here or there, who cares! As long I don't bust an axle or rack something important on a sharp rock, we're cool! 😂 🤔 🤪 😎
Sponsored

parris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Hello all.

I took mine (2020 JLU 2.0T Willys) last week to the dealer where I bought it, that it happens to also have body shop. Mine showed bubbles only in the hood hinges.

They seemed very familiar with the topic and didn't give me any push back. The service advisor took photos of all the hinges, VIN, mileage, etc. and sent it over to FCA for approval. Today I got the call for my appointment for June 5th (yes, they are busy). They told me that the car has to stay there for the whole week but that they provide with a rental.
Big shout out to Hollywood Chrysler Jeep (in south Florida) for taking well care of the topic. Maybe not the fanciest dealer out there, but they care about Jeeps

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Rubicon. 2dr Soft Top. 2.0L Turbo, Auto, Stock
I get this is a really old thread, and this is a really old post, and I get that all manufacturers have these issues, some worse than others...

That's like King of the mall crawlers level awareness. I mean it comes with four low and solid axles in 2023, it's definitely not meant to be perfect, it's definitely meant to get banged up!

Bubbles in the paint are the least of my worries. I mean a scratch here or there, who cares! As long I don't bust an axle or rack something important on a sharp rock, we're cool! 😂 🤔 🤪 😎
I think when you're spending as much as you would on a small house, and your paint cost $500 extra, and you know the paint tends to bubble and can lead to more bubbling, you look.
And, when the tree on a trail gives you pinstripes, you smile.
Just my guess

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hell, I've given up on the small stuff on my jeep. The paint on the passenger door has blisters along the bottom edge and around the hinges. Once that starts, the only cure is to remove all the paint around that area, etch the aluminum, alodine it, then use a solvent based zinc chromate primer and paint. But solvent based zinc chromate probably isn't what FCA used. Probably used a water based primer. These jeeps really have more quality issues than most other makers and we put up with it, and learn to like it or get rid of them.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I think when you're spending as much as you would on a small house, and your paint cost $500 extra, and you know the paint tends to bubble and can lead to more bubbling, you look.
And, when the tree on a trail gives you pinstripes, you smile.
Just my guess
My paint was $450, but at the same time too though, I actually am looking forward to my paint being destroyed, because then I have an excuse to get my Wrangler Kevlar coated! ;)

I'll have to take a peek at my hinges next I remember, honestly I never even pay attention to my paint other than admiring it from afar.

Sponsored

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Just got mine back from the dealer's body shop today. They did a great job with the paint. The only way I can tell the doors or hinges where off is that they didn't paint the bolts that go in the bottom of the hinges. No biggie, in fact I think I might take them out and paint them black for a little accent color.
The dealership - Nucar of Tilton (NH) was great. When I went in 3 weeks ago for my bolt sticking out into the gas tank recall and rain gutter deflector TSB I pointed out the paint bubbles. Within 20 minutes I had an appointment to drop the Jeep off this past Monday. Can't recommend them enough. The only downside to the whole thing was they gave me a Renegade as a loaner for a week....people were laughing at me when I drove by...I just know it.....

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RETIRED!
Just got mine back from the dealer's body shop today. They did a great job with the paint. The only way I can tell the doors or hinges where off is that they didn't paint the bolts that go in the bottom of the hinges. No biggie, in fact I think I might take them out and paint them black for a little accent color.
The dealership - Nucar of Tilton (NH) was great. When I went in 3 weeks ago for my bolt sticking out into the gas tank recall and rain gutter deflector TSB I pointed out the paint bubbles. Within 20 minutes I had an appointment to drop the Jeep off this past Monday. Can't recommend them enough. The only downside to the whole thing was they gave me a Renegade as a loaner for a week....people were laughing at me when I drove by...I just know it.....
Did they do the rain gutter deflector under warranty? I have a 2020 that is outside of the 36 months limit and my dealer said that it's not covered.

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Did they do the rain gutter deflector under warranty? I have a 2020 that is outside of the 36 months limit and my dealer said that it's not covered.
I was still under warranty but it shouldn't matter. Jeep issued a TSB to correct a problem. I would print out the TSB, take it to the dealer and if they refuse to do the work I would then call Jeep Cares...and see if they really care.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I was still under warranty but it shouldn't matter. Jeep issued a TSB to correct a problem. I would print out the TSB, take it to the dealer and if they refuse to do the work I would then call Jeep Cares...and see if they really care.
Jeep Cares don’t care in my experience. And TSB’s are rarely done for free after the warranty period.

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Jeep Cares don’t care in my experience. And TSB’s are rarely done for free after the warranty period.
OK, I thought they would still do TSB's after warranty. Maybe try a different dealer? You might find one who is willing to do it.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
OK, I thought they would still do TSB's after warranty. Maybe try a different dealer? You might find one who is willing to do it.
Sometimes they will. Especially if it’s inexpensive for them to do and you happen to have an established relationship with them. It can’t hurt to ask.

If you don’t have any sort of previous relationship, they’re likely to say no.

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Wife just got from the dealership. We have an appt for the repairs in January at a local body shop that the dealership has been using. I just pray that everything matches when all is said and done. If it wasn't for this stupid blistering, we have the most beautiful black paint job on our Rubicon.
After being at the body shop for 26 days, they repainted all 4 doors and the hood. The paint came out perfect and matches the rest of our Jeep. Hoping the issue does not come back or even worse, starts in a new area such as the tailgate (that's where our friend's '20 is blistering).

I know Jeep has been pretty good with doing the repaints......here's my question.....did they ever identify the underlying issue that is causing this and correct it so that this does not continue for new owners??....if so, when did they make the change??

AnonCanadian

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL 4XE Sahara Unlimited
Hey guys.

local dealer still hasn’t submitted my claim after 5 weeks roughly.

im taking it to another dealer in the next province over that has their own body shop, and having them submit it. I’m also getting corporate involved.

the dealer said if I don’t have the extended warranty, my normal warranty likely won’t cover the entire rental cost. Should I fight them on this?

anyone have it done on their PX8 black wrangler? We have 2 hinges on 2 different doors ++ tailgate hinges and hood hinges that need done. The rest show signs but not likely enough to get done yet

OP
OP
GraniteJLU

GraniteJLU

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara

Because it turns into every hinge and every door. How can you not notice it? The issue is completely unacceptable and stupity. Even i know you get corrosion from two dissimilar metals that are improperly prepped.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I've been meaning to check my door hinges... Finally got around to remembering to look.

I can't really tell if they're bubbling or not, thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_20230523_132133422
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_20230523_132139323
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_20230523_132149970
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_20230523_132155761
Sponsored