Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Teleman

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Altitude
I took mine to my dealer in November 2022. Bubbles on all four doors and tailgate. The service manager took all of the photos, etc. and said they'd call me. Never got a call back. Went back there in March and there was a new service manager (surprise). He booked an appointment for me for June 16, which seemed like a long wait. I checked with him last week and now he's telling me that they no longer are using the body shop they had been using (dealer doesn't have their own body shop). Now he can't even give me a date to get this fixed.

Now I'm getting PO'd. This is my third Wrangler (two JKs and this JL) and I'm disappointed with the quality and the service. Next vehicle might not be a Wrangler. I've opened a case with @JeepCares and I'm really hoping they can help me find a different dealer who can address this ASAP. I've been waiting since November.

Sorry, rant over. Glad to see others have had good luck. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.
Sponsored

Teleman

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Altitude
I took mine to my dealer in November 2022. Bubbles on all four doors and tailgate. The service manager took all of the photos, etc. and said they'd call me. Never got a call back. Went back there in March and there was a new service manager (surprise). He booked an appointment for me for June 16, which seemed like a long wait. I checked with him last week and now he's telling me that they no longer are using the body shop they had been using (dealer doesn't have their own body shop). Now he can't even give me a date to get this fixed.

Now I'm getting PO'd. This is my third Wrangler (two JKs and this JL) and I'm disappointed with the quality and the service. Next vehicle might not be a Wrangler. I've opened a case with @JeepCares and I'm really hoping they can help me find a different dealer who can address this ASAP. I've been waiting since November.

Sorry, rant over. Glad to see others have had good luck. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.
So this is getting even more crappy by the day. I've approached two other dealers in my area to see if they can take care of it for me. These are both big dealerships with their own body shops. Both are refusing to work on the Jeep and they're only doing these paint repairs for their own customers and they're backed up for almost a year because they have so many of them. Hmm, I thought you could take your Jeep to any dealer for warranty work? I guess that's not the case. Maybe I was mistaken about that.

This JL is the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased, and this is turning into one of the biggest customer service fiascos I've ever encountered for any product. Jeep has a HUGE problem on their hands with this issue and it's highly unlikely I'll ever buy another one (this is my third). I really don't trust the quality anymore or the company's ability or willingness to back up their products.

And in case someone asks, yes, I've contacted @JeepCares. They're telling me they're unable to assist me until the Jeep actually goes to the dealer for repair - which is unfortunate because getting the Jeep to a dealer for repair, or more accurately, finding one who is willing and able to do it, is exactly the issue I'm having with customer service and need assistance with.

rpterl77

First Name
Ryan Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Minivan!
No mileage limit for the corrosion warranty. It’s 5 years from date of first sale.
Anyone know if corrosion warranty stays with the Jeep past its first owner? Eying a pre-owned 2019 Wrangler purchased in November 2018 that has some bubbling on the front passenger door.

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RETIRED!
Anyone know if corrosion warranty stays with the Jeep past its first owner? Eying a pre-owned 2019 Wrangler purchased in November 2018 that has some bubbling on the front passenger door.
It doesn't matter how many owners....it is all based on the date it was first sold.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
So if I had to take a wild guess, I would say that just like an elephant covering themselves in mud to withstand the heat, having a constant supply of dirt and or mud on your hinges helps your paint withstand the heat too maybe... 🤷‍♂️

1 and 1/2 years, through 3 Texas Ice Storm's, and multiple months of 90+°f weather, no bubbles in sight and only a few paint chips (Probably due to not having front fenders).

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_20230529_133625188
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_20230529_133710003
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_20230529_133641321
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_20230529_133703382

There you go y'all, keeping your Jeep clean is cool for looks, but stinks for your paint!

Seriously though, I'd be curious to see somebody else try this. Keep your JL constantly dirty, and see how much it protects your paint (on some levels).

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
stay away........RUN.

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Would love to know why some are completely unaffected while others (myself included) non stop headaches. Already scheduled for second set of work in 18 months, different hinges affected this time, and yesterday noticed bottom edge of most doors.

Would also love to hear Jeep's take on root cause, many say mix of metals, but why the door edges, there's no other metals down there? This would help determine if these warranty fixes are permanent-ish or just buying them time to hit the 5 year/100k miles...... My lowly Renegade also has aluminum body parts in areas, and at almost 95k miles and 7 years old zero issues and probably some of the best paint on any car I've owned so they (Jeep) is capable to do this.

FrickinAdam

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport Punk'n Metallic
So if I had to take a wild guess, I would say that just like an elephant covering themselves in mud to withstand the heat, having a constant supply of dirt and or mud on your hinges helps your paint withstand the heat too maybe... 🤷‍♂️

1 and 1/2 years, through 3 Texas Ice Storm's, and multiple months of 90+°f weather, no bubbles in sight and only a few paint chips (Probably due to not having front fenders).

There you go y'all, keeping your Jeep clean is cool for looks, but stinks for your paint!

Seriously though, I'd be curious to see somebody else try this. Keep your JL constantly dirty, and see how much it protects your paint (on some levels).
I dont have a garage so its always out in the elements. Here in CO so all sorts of weather. I had issues on all 4 door hinges and even on the doors themselves totally away from any hinges. The main issue is contaminates from the factory and opposing metals. Not getting paint bubbles is like winning the lottery. =) I had it repainted under warranty and so far so good. So far the hood and tailgate hinges seem to be good.

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 00 XJ
What does keeping it dirty have to do with the contact of the metal materials under the paint?

Sponsored

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I dont have a garage so its always out in the elements. Here in CO so all sorts of weather. I had issues on all 4 door hinges and even on the doors themselves totally away from any hinges. The main issue is contaminates from the factory and opposing metals. Not getting paint bubbles is like winning the lottery. =) I had it repainted under warranty and so far so good. So far the hood and tailgate hinges seem to be good.
Mine is garaged, BUT we live in snowy/slushy/salty New England, doesn't help, but I've seen reports of many in the South West as well, and I have a neighbor with 2 Wranglers, not garaged and no issues, same year (2020). If it's poor prep/application at the factory hopefully a competent body/paint shop can resolve it, but things keep popping up and am sitting on a time bomb it feels like (warranty is up Jan 2025). If it mainly stays bubbles long term, I could live with that once the Jeep is say 6+ years old, if the paint starts flaking off and look like garbage, another thing altogether. We had a 2014 Grand Caravan that had front edge hood bubbling for YEARS and never progressed beyond that and I considered that livable for a vehicle at 80k+ miles, especially knowing it wasn't rusting.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
Already scheduled for second set of work in 18 months, different hinges affected this time, and yesterday noticed bottom edge of most doors.
My JL has the problem on the door edges also. When it was checked at the dealer they found the hood had problems also. You might want to check the hood if you haven’t done so, especially the leading edges. They are replacing both doors and the hood because the problems are in the seams. All new hinges also.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I do have a garage, but we only put my wife's vehicle in there. I like mine to be outside anyways. The rain is basically a free car wash! ;) 😂

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
So this is getting even more crappy by the day. I've approached two other dealers in my area to see if they can take care of it for me. These are both big dealerships with their own body shops. Both are refusing to work on the Jeep and they're only doing these paint repairs for their own customers and they're backed up for almost a year because they have so many of them. Hmm, I thought you could take your Jeep to any dealer for warranty work? I guess that's not the case. Maybe I was mistaken about that.

This JL is the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased, and this is turning into one of the biggest customer service fiascos I've ever encountered for any product. Jeep has a HUGE problem on their hands with this issue and it's highly unlikely I'll ever buy another one (this is my third). I really don't trust the quality anymore or the company's ability or willingness to back up their products.

And in case someone asks, yes, I've contacted @JeepCares. They're telling me they're unable to assist me until the Jeep actually goes to the dealer for repair - which is unfortunate because getting the Jeep to a dealer for repair, or more accurately, finding one who is willing and able to do it, is exactly the issue I'm having with customer service and need assistance with.
This sucks man, because I live in the DFW metroplex, there are probably at least 6 dealerships within an hour drive of me. This being said I visited them all at this point, and only one of them actually stands out as giving a shit about people who visit their dealership service department. In DFW, it's Huffines Chrysler! I got my last free oil change there, and I only waited about maybe 30 minutes with no appointment. They did everything right, they actually checked the things on the checklist they said they checked. And the things they didn't check, they told me they didn't check it and asked me if I wanted them to check it (telling me it would be a longer wait). Personally I don't ever plan on going back to a dealership ever again, but if I have to at any point, I'll be going there.

Those scumbags over in McKinney Don't even check half the shit on the checklist they hand you and then tell you that you need to give them more money for these things that are about to fail. I went through the checklist and I even told the guy there's no way in heck you did all of this in 45 minutes, and the guy just sat there and lied to me. The one in Garland isn't much better, I waited there for 2 hours to get my final free oil change before I finally just was like "**** this!" and left. They were trying to tell me that the service shop was super busy on a Friday at noon, even though half the damn maintenance team kept coming up to flirt with the new service advisor.

Anyways, I just feel bad for people who live in places that only have one or two dealerships in the area. If those ones are trash, that blows! I can't even imagine!
Sponsored