First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Moab 2019
Occupation
Hotel Manager
Anyone know how many amps the white/orange wire can take? My new rigid D series pods are 2.14 amps each and I got a pair, so I'm hoping to wire both rigids into the white/orange wire, then use (1) Roadmaster 792 Hy-Power Diode. But if that white/orange wire can't handle 4.28 amps, then I'm gonna use @Dan S's method with a relay coil. ( i found this diagram, but i don't know how to read it lol )
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights 71i+2vwY2XL._AC_SL1500_ (1)
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights IMG_2719
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Ldybug

Best I can give you is the listed fuse requirements for the tow package
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights JL Tow Package - Fuses

Delong418

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport - Punk’n Orange
After having my rear aux lights wired into Aux 4 only for about 6 months and continually blinding people behind me after forgetting to turn them off, I finally used a diode to tap into the reverse lights as well. Tapped into the white wire with orange tracing, but the aux lights were staying on any time the lights were on. Tapped into the white wire with purple tracing and now they work perfectly as expected. No idea why mine is different than what I've read on this thread, but for anyone with a similar problem I have a 2018 JLU Sport, halogen lights upgraded to OEM LED with an OEM tow package that I installed.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
For those contemplating install of auxiliary b/u lights on your JL.

About installing auxiliary b/u lights on a JL. IF, if you have the tow package on your JL, do not be afraid, don't avoid, taping into the necessary single wire at the 6 pin connector at the rear of your JL.

*snip*

In closing if you have the tow package use the trigger wire there.. Easier, more prudent to do so.
If no tow package then tap into the tail lights if you must but do so cleanly lets say..
would you recommend adding a fuse to the line from the 6 pin ?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
would you recommend adding a fuse to the line from the 7 pin ?
NO, no in line fuse, necessary in regard to the 7 pin.

IF, you are hooking up auxiliary back-ups lights on your JL.JLU/JT, and you are going to have the lights hooked up to both an Aux switch and the reverse circuit you should use two diodes in the mix.

IF, you do not use two diodes, you will experience ongoing, intermittent CanBus related issues.. Also, if in doubt, always place diodes as it only take a minute to do so and may save you lots of headaches.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just finished installing a new Westin WJ2 Rear Bumper with Westin HyperQ B-Force Flood Auxiliary Lights with the AUX wiring & 7-Way Trailer Harness method using 2 Roadmaster 690 Diodes. I also took my factory reverse sensors with wiring harness and installed those in the new bumper as well. I’m not an electrician so this was a new venture for me to try out.

Thanks to all who contributed to the 38 page thread on this topic. Some helpful feedback to future installers:

- Buy a 25’ Fish Tape to pull the wire through the frame from front to back ($12 on Amazon ). It took maybe 2 mins max to do this with minimal effort. Best money spent.
- I used Lockitt POSI-Taps to easily tap into the trailer hitch wiring for the reverse light feature. The diodes and taps can all be wired and stored in the passenger rear tail light section.
- Westin’s lights actual came with a decent wiring harness so I cut up and reused some of it for the shorter runs.

Here’s the finished product:

I'm installing my Westin WJ2 Bumper and Tire Carrier this weekend.

I thought about wiring the LED cube lights in the bumper to the stock backup lights.

I have an sPOD so I can wire the LED cube lights in the bumper to it instead.

I'm so glad I found your post!

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
For a Back-up light project on a 2021 JL, I decided against T-tapping into existing wire. Instead, I made a pigtail jumper (extension) to go between the left rear taillight assembly and the Jeep wiring harness. This way, I can remove this, put the original connectors back together, and it's in factory fresh condition.

That connection uses 12-pin MX-150 Molex connector. I am connecting my new LED backup lights to this pigtail using Anderson Powerpole connectors, but it's just as easy to use traditional butt connectors. Both are shown here.

I would welcome your thoughts and comments.

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights LeftPigtail1
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights LeftPigtail2

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
For a Back-up light project on a 2021 JL, I decided against T-tapping into existing wire. Instead, I made a pigtail jumper (extension) to go between the left rear taillight assembly and the Jeep wiring harness. This way, I can remove this, put the original connectors back together, and it's in factory fresh condition.

That connection uses 12-pin MX-150 Molex connector. I am connecting my new LED backup lights to this pigtail using Anderson Powerpole connectors, but it's just as easy to use traditional butt connectors. Both are shown here.

If you make some extras I would love to buy 1...

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase

Nicely done!

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
If you make some extras I would love to buy 1...
When buying the supplies, I bought extra. And I’ve spent much money on crimping tools for open barrel Molex connectors and crimpers for Powerpole connectors. And I’ve ruined a few connectors learning how to crimp them.
So if I can save others the expense and headaches of trying to do it themselves, and instead provide these to them, I’ll do it.
Notice the striped wiring I’m using to match the factory wire colors.
Let me know if you want Right or Left side, and for the 5 pin and 6 pin (backup light and ground), let me know if you want me to leave them unstripped, or I can crimp either a butt connector or Powerpole Connector Like in the pic.

Last edited:

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
When buying the supplies, I bought extra. And I’ve spent much money on crimping tools for open barrel Molex connectors and crispers for Powerpole connectors. And I’ve ruined a few connectors learning how to crimp them.
So if I can save others the expense and headaches of trying to do it themselves, and instead provide these to them, I’ll do it.
Notice the striped wiring I’m using to match the factory wire colors.
Let me know if you want Right or Left side, and for the 5 pin and 6 pin (backup light and ground), let me know if you want me to leave them unstripped, or I can crimp either a butt connector or Powerpole Connector Like in the pic.
I would go with Driver side, and simple butt connectors will work for me. Send me a PM with your asking price!

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS

Does this pigtail work with factory LED tail lights, halogen tail lights or both?

Depending on the price with shipping (I'm in Canada) I might be interested in one for the driver side with just the standard butt connectors.

Shoot me a PM when you have a moment.
Sponsored