First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
Ok I’ve gone through every post in this thread at twice, and still at a bit confused about where in the line to put the diode(s). I want the lights to come on with reverse, and also run to aux switches, but I’m not using the factory setup. I am using the Rough Country MLC-6, which runs separate from the CanBus system. https://www.roughcountry.com/mlc6-multiple-light-controller-7096c.html
I have no problem running wires and tapping into or splicing wires, but I am still confused where diodes would go with this setup. Do I just need one between the Aux switch and the tapped connection? Do I need an additional diode between the tapped connection and the wire to the extra lights?
Sponsored

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Ok I’ve gone through every post in this thread at twice, and still at a bit confused about where in the line to put the diode(s). I want the lights to come on with reverse, and also run to aux switches, but I’m not using the factory setup. I am using the Rough Country MLC-6, which runs separate from the CanBus system. https://www.roughcountry.com/mlc6-multiple-light-controller-7096c.html
I have no problem running wires and tapping into or splicing wires, but I am still confused where diodes would go with this setup. Do I just need one between the Aux switch and the tapped connection? Do I need an additional diode between the tapped connection and the wire to the extra lights?
Use this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories_and_Parts/Roadmaster/rm-790.html

One input lead will come from a line from your Rough Country light controller, one input lead comes from the tap to the backup light, the output goes to your aux backup lights.

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
Use this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories_and_Parts/Roadmaster/rm-790.html

One input lead will come from a line from your Rough Country light controller, one input lead comes from the tap to the backup light, the output goes to your aux backup lights.

Thanks for the reply! I actually have 2 of the 690 single-input diodes laying around, so can I still get the same result as the dual-input diode you linked with those? It won’t be as simplified, but it’ll save me another $20 and at least a week of shipping!

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Thanks for the reply! I actually have 2 of the 690 single-input diodes laying around, so can I still get the same result as the dual-input diode you linked with those? It won’t be as simplified, but it’ll save me another $20 and at least a week of shipping!
I initially bought the individual diodes, but the etrailer setup is sealed and I felt better about the quality of components (though I have absolutely no facts to back that up!!). Anyway, diodes are a one way gate, so put your diodes at the end of your 2 input lines and then marry the diode outputs with a Y connection, sending the single line after the Y to your backup lights.

Soulpatch

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon unlimited
Wired mine up in new LOD bumper setup. Have them to Aux 3 upfront through passenger rail to rear tail light where I also splices to trailer wire harness. I have a 2 pole diode then to lights.

These lights are BRIGHT and will have no issues seeing at night

20200501_185152.jpg

Sponsored

Allstars_S2

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Vehicle Showcase
@Luco

Thanks for the follow-up posts. I have the diodes on order and come this Wednesday, my Rigid Industries 20541 Black Back-Up Light Kit will be wired like yours ... with 2 diodes.

Right now, I have the Rigids, powered by Aux 3 alone and they are auxiliary lights only. Geeez, they are bright!

Come Wednesday they will automatically light when I put the JL in reverse or if I opt to, I can turn them on as auxiliary lighting with the Aux 3 switch.

Thanks for getting me motivated, Luke... :clap:

I'm adding the KC Hilites rear Chase bar to the back of my roof rack. Hopefully I will get it all figured out with the configuration.

Here is a video from KC:

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
So after reading this thread at least 5 times. I bit the bullet and jumped into the fray. I’m a total newb at wiring lights on a Jeep. But why let that stop me?

I wired from the engine bay, Aux 3, and ran through the frame on the passenger side. I hit some difficulty right before the right back wheel and had to buy some fish tape which worked like a charm. I installed my lights on top of my bumper (plastic) with no difficulty. As far as connecting the lights I used 16 gauge electrical cord, butt connectors, shrink wrap and electrical tape.

I connected the drivers side wires to the passenger side and then connected to the hot from the engine. For the ground I found a bolt with green paint and sanded the metal down and the. Connected my ground with a ring connector.

This wasn’t easy for me as I wish I had better connectors for the wiring. After finishing the first time I eagerly turned the ignition on, set Aux 3 via controls for ignition, and nothing...... so I called it a night (3 hours in) and the next day reconnected everything and tested every connector using a volt meter. 2 hours later! Lights!!!

What I learned;
  • Working on this was fun
  • I gained some new skills and confidence
  • Buy fish tape
  • Get an electrical connector kit
  • Practice soldering which I attempted but sucked at
  • Check connections as you go
  • Make sure your ground area is well sanded
Now for the pics!

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights 576A697A-A272-4FA1-B5FC-2D28B43E9A6C

like you Memphis Peej, i had trouble with my aux switch 3. still can’t get it to work. maybe somebody has some advice?? i used a T tap from under the dash. used the orange wire with pink stripe and ran this to the diode input. diode is in the passenger tail light housing. i used the diode from etrailer with two inputs and one output. many run the wire back in the frame and some run it under the inside panels. i liked the idea of keeping it inside for protection however i didn’t want to break any panel clips as i often do, so i just pushed it under the edge of the panel so its protected and not visible. took about 5 min to run it to the back.
lights work when put into reverse but not on aux 3. any ideas??

as many of us did, i copied Colorado Rubicon and put the lights below the red reflectors. i’ll post a pic in a min but it’s not much different than his, lol.

this was easier than i thought it’d be (yeah, i know, not completely done until aux works). i have no electrical experience and would never have tried anything like this if it wasn’t for this forum. thanks everyone!

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
a pic of my lights. not 100% convinced these will be brighter than the rigid ignites however for $38 for the pair, it was worth a shot. i’m pleased.
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights 78A57F32-7D81-4509-9F22-62BFEDF5B3CE

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
like you Memphis Peej, i had trouble with my aux switch 3. still can’t get it to work. maybe somebody has some advice?? i used a T tap from under the dash. used the orange wire with pink stripe and ran this to the diode input. diode is in the passenger tail light housing. i used the diode from etrailer with two inputs and one output. many run the wire back in the frame and some run it under the inside panels. i liked the idea of keeping it inside for protection however i didn’t want to break any panel clips as i often do, so i just pushed it under the edge of the panel so its protected and not visible. took about 5 min to run it to the back.
lights work when put into reverse but not on aux 3. any ideas??

as many of us did, i copied Colorado Rubicon and put the lights below the red reflectors. i’ll post a pic in a min but it’s not much different than his, lol.

this was easier than i thought it’d be (yeah, i know, not completely done until aux works). i have no electrical experience and would never have tried anything like this if it wasn’t for this forum. thanks everyone!
I didn’t miss with diodes on purpose. For me and my beginner skill level I felt that was introducing too many uncertainties in too the equation.

It sounds like your wiring is generally fine as the lights work in reverse. Are you sure you set the Aux switches to correct settings in the system settings? You can set them for ignition or battery and another setting as well. check that for sure.

I”m certain someone more knowledgeable than me can help with trouble shooting any diode issues. I’m worthless on that one.

Sponsored

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
thx memphis peej,
yeah, i put on both ignition and battery. i might just disconnect/reconnect the wire as it’s just a single wire. if that doesn’t work, maybe the diode is bad?? i have so much 16 awg, i could probably run a test line from under the hood to the diode as well. i wouldn’t feed it through the frame as it’d just be to test things. any other ideas guys? thx all!

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
a pic of my lights. not 100% convinced these will be brighter than the rigid ignites however for $38 for the pair, it was worth a shot. i’m pleased.
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights 78A57F32-7D81-4509-9F22-62BFEDF5B3CE
Very nice! What lights are those? Do u have a link? Thx.

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
lights fully working with reverse as well as aux 3. turns out i had a bad T tap as the blade inside was bent. as i mentioned, i have no auto electrical experience, lol. probably should have seen it earlier. thanks to everyone on this thread who contributed from their knowledge base. was very easy to do this and without the forum, i probably never would have attempted.

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
Very nice! What lights are those? Do u have a link? Thx.
they’re from etrailer and about $17 each. if you look around pg 15 of this thread, you’ll see Colorado Rubicon’s write up. i believe he was first to post about them and i’d check out his info. the box says 1260 lumens but i’m not convinced that’s entirely accurate. Colorado Rubicon’s pics are very bright but some of that may be due to the snow? i haven’t checked mine out at night yet in an area without other lights already on like street lights but they’re bound to be better than stock. if i need more light after these, i’ll replace with the rigid ignites.

D34362BE-C60E-4F65-B278-700519964B64.jpeg

seanm001

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hey all, I need some wiring help on this project. I have a 2020 JLUR with the halogen light package. I’m trying to wire up a pair of cube lights in my aftermarket bumper such that they come on in reverse and also on Aux switch #3. I connected the two lights together with a deutsch y-harness, with a pigtail running into the passenger tail light compartment. Ran a wire from the Aux #3 switch in the engine compartment, through the frame rail, to the passenger tail light compartment. I’ve got the two-into-one diode in that compartment, with the Aux #3 hot coming into input #1 and tapped off from the white/purple wire on the vehicle side of the tail light plug for diode input #2. Diode output goes to the hot side of the light pigtail. I tapped off from the black wire on the vehicle side of the tail light plug to join the ground for the lights. All done with marine connections for water resistance.

In this config, the aux lights work when I turn on Aux #3. Sweet! But when I put it in reverse, the lights flick on real quick, then the light cubes and passenger tail light go dead. Not sweet.

What did I do wrong? Did I tap into the wrong wire for reverse hot? Am I running afoul of the CANBUS by having two lights drawing off from the single halogen hot?
Sponsored