Sponsored

Backup Lights

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
When buying the supplies, I bought extra. And I’ve spent much money on crimping tools for open barrel Molex connectors and crispers for Powerpole connectors. And I’ve ruined a few connectors learning how to crimp them.
So if I can save others the expense and headaches of trying to do it themselves, and instead provide these to them, I’ll do it.
Notice the striped wiring I’m using to match the factory wire colors.
Let me know if you want Right or Left side, and for the 5 pin and 6 pin (backup light and ground), let me know if you want me to leave them unstripped, or I can crimp either a butt connector or Powerpole Connector Like in the pic.
Haven’t crawled under there yet to check out the state of things. I assume right or left is a preference? Is there a good reason to choose one side over the other?
Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Haven’t crawled under there yet to check out the state of things. I assume right or left is a preference? Is there a good reason to choose one side over the other?
It’s funny, I’m doing the driver side just because it’s easiest to get to with the tailgate open. And it looks like most others are picking the same side, maybe for the same reasons.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Does this pigtail work with factory LED tail lights, halogen tail lights or both?

Depending on the price with shipping (I'm in Canada) I might be interested in one for the driver side with just the standard butt connectors.
I have LED, but based on the wiring diagram, this should work just as well on the standard package.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
@Abramovich you have encouraged me to go ahead and purchase a Curt 4pin trailer adapter pictured below. It's been on my list, but after seeing your great MX-150 12pin jumper, I decided to get/install it now and use the curt jumper in the kit to tap into.

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights 51ShBaQnjzL

Sponsored

Chotaling

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited
I'm installing my Westin WJ2 Bumper and Tire Carrier this weekend.

I thought about wiring the LED cube lights in the bumper to the stock backup lights.

I have an sPOD so I can wire the LED cube lights in the bumper to it instead.

I'm so glad I found your post!
Can you tell me if the kit came with license plate relocation bracket and LED light bolts? Install instructions show it but I did a chat w ExtremeTerrain and they said it wasn’t included? How did install go and what cube lights did you use?

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Just completed the project and very excited for the results at night!

Here's a daytime picture below. (For reference, the backup bulbs in the taillights are aftermarket superbright 6k LEDs.)

I'll snap some night-time pics also.

20210125_072515.jpg

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Can you tell me if the kit came with license plate relocation bracket and LED light bolts? Install instructions show it but I did a chat w ExtremeTerrain and they said it wasn’t included? How did install go and what cube lights did you use?
Bring your own wiring. Rough Country has a plate relocation kit. I bought cheap 3" cubes on Amazon.

Last edited:

Nighthawk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jlus
can someone please help. I am a complete novice when it comes to electrical. I have a 2018 jlu sport s with after market LED tail lights, stock harness. i am trying to wire in cube flood lights into the passanger side tail light and have tried almost every wire mentioned on this thread. white and orange, white and purple. they flash 3 or 4 times then turn off. what do I need to do or what am I doing wrong?? Edit... no tow package and no aux package.

Last edited:

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
can someone please help. I am a complete novice when it comes to electrical. I have a 2018 jlu sport s with after market LED tail lights, stock harness. i am trying to wire in cube flood lights into the passanger side tail light and have tried almost every wire mentioned on this thread. white and orange, white and purple. they flash 3 or 4 times then turn off. what do I need to do or what am I doing wrong?? Edit... no tow package and no aux package.
Welcome to the forum!

You may need to use a diode or relay. It's possible your cube lights are too much of a draw for the factory circuit.

For the backup lights on my Sport S without factory LEDs, the white wire with brown stripe is for reverse bulb 12v +.

The lights I added are 2 x 18w and work fine with a diode only.

Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Can someone please help? I am a complete novice when it comes to electricity. I have a 2018 JLU Sport S with aftermarket LED tail lights. I am trying to wire in cube flood lights into the passenger side tail light and have tried almost every wire mentioned on this thread. White and orange, and white and purple. They flash 3 or 4 times then turn off. What do I need to do or what am I doing wrong? No tow package and no auxiliary switches.
Driver side is White/Orange. Passenger side is White/Violet.
In both instances it is pin 5.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Driver side is White/Orange. Passenger side is White/Violet.
In both instances it is pin 5.
FYI - on driver side its not always white/orange stripe. On mine and many others it's white/brown stripe. It's best to inspect the harness to determine.

Cptbigdog

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Rubicon
Installed Rigid Radiance on my Poison Spyder . Tapped into my reverse light Driver side (white Beige) and made the Poison Spyder logo glows

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup Lights 20210125_072515
What light did you use to make the spider glow. Nice work. O

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
i just finished tying in my rear lights to the reverse & aux 1 with the Curt trailer kit and have one unused tail light harness if any one is interested pm me.
Sponsored