First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I find the engine oil level indicator (dipstick) on the 3.0 L diesel difficult to read, especially when the oil is clean. 1st world problem I suppose. Here are the three (3) rules I go by when checking my engine oil level:

1.) Engine oil at normal operating temperature
2.) Vehicle must be on level ground
3.) Engine off for five (5) minutes prior to checking oil level to allow for oil drain down

Also, when I remove the indicator, I always keep the tip of the indicator pointed down. :)

henry

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Firecracker Red
I added 3/4 of a quart at 6,800 miles. All but one of my Duramax diesels were the same way Using about 1 quart between oil changes.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
What exactly does the oil life indicator measure? Does it measure the quantity of oil or does it just compute the quality of oil based on distance driven, and how it is driven?

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I noticed an oil leak on the side of the block and oil pan at 6600 miles. No oil on the dip stick. Had it flat towed to the dealer where it has been waiting on indefinite backorder parts for 2+ weeks now. I was not expecting the engine to consume oil, as my 2018 WK2 ecodiesel (Gen 2) didn't.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
fingers crossed for you that this isn't some larger issue!

the Users Manual says that there is *no* break-in period for the Diesel. (yes, i found it odd.)
i'm curious; who is telling you different, and what exactly are they saying?

...Apparently FCA expects diesels to drain between 1-2 quarts over the course of one oil change. More is normal during the break-in period...

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
A " short stick "? The logic of this is lost on me, what is the advantage of that ?
Advantage to the customer, none. But I imagine this will be the way many manufacturers go in the future. Someone checks the oil, see's none on the dip stick and off to the dealer the unit goes.

They have already done away with the transmission dip stick on many new vehicles. They don't want you to maintain them. They want that work for themselves.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Advantage to the customer, none. But I imagine this will be the way many manufacturers go in the future. Someone checks the oil, see's none on the dip stick and off to the dealer the unit goes.

They have already done away with the transmission dip stick on many new vehicles. They don't want you to maintain them. They want that work for themselves.
Most dip sticks I've encountered can only read to a quart or so low, I'm not sure why a "short stick" is a considered a new thing. Many newer vehicles don't have oil dip sticks at all any more....including the 2.0 in the Alfa Romeo that everyone swears is the same engine as the 2.0 wrangler.

Sponsored

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
What exactly does the oil life indicator measure? Does it measure the quantity of oil or does it just compute the quality of oil based on distance driven, and how it is driven?
There is no sensor that measures oil quantity. The oil life is computed by algorithm using number of starts, miles driven under operating temperature, average speed and load, total miles, etc.. It is accurate.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Does anyone remember the Low Oil Level sensors that would shut your engine off ? No power steering ,brakes would be the least of your worries

Anthonyb1969

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlur diesel
Hey all. The brandy new 2021 Willy's 3.0 is in the dealer's lot as of yesterday.

It's been cold here, but not anything below 15F. When remote starting this morning, I noticed that the initial idle was REALLY rough. Had a different pitch than normal.
I went out there and pulled the oil dipstick, and it was covered in soot. Wiped it off, sunk it back in, and pulled it out BONE DRY.

I have no idea how long it has been running dry like this, my last oil check was done at 2K miles. Everything seemed fine at that point.
The engine seems to have been running pretty well, and I didn't notice any power differences. Maybe a bit more of a rough shifting, but figured it was just the engine marrying to the transmission and getting in its groove.

The only other indication was 24 hours before my oil check and drive to the dealer. The oil temp (my main display is always on oil temp) was running up to 112F, instead of the normal 203F that I'm used to seeing.

Here's hoping that the dealer finds a simple fix. I'll be checking the oil every 10 miles or so from now on.

This is the second time I've got a Wrangler with oil issues. My JK had a rear main seal bust TWICE.
This diesel has never left the pavement (yet), and I'm kind of a fuel hawk, so I drive it nice and easy unless I'm merging onto the highway.

Dealers diesel tech (yeah, they said diesel tech...like singular) is busy for at least today, maybe the'll get to look at it by tomorrow.

At least I have a Ram 3.0 courtesy vehicle. It's making me appreciate the power match of EcoDiesel to Wrangler all the more.

Keep yer fingers crossed for me...I love this engine/wrangler.
Probably dripped out like mine is doing.

41B8E694-71A3-4545-9BFF-FDF4E8100932.jpeg