Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
We finally picked up our new Jeep JLU Rubicon Diesel yesterday! After a road trip home, I had the roof rack and ski box installed by dinner, then got the hard top on the hoist and off the Jeep in time for a midnight topless cruise through the neighborhood. Feels good to be back in a Wrangler!

Not totally sure where this build will go. We do a lot of overland type trips, which is why I gave up a manual to get the diesel. We also live a couple hours north of Moab, the Swell, and everything else Utah has to offer, with regular trips to surrounding states and beyond.

I installed the soft top and 37s this morning (Jeep was less than 24 hours old!). I really love the white with the dark saddle interior. The tan soft top really ties the room together.

37" KM3 on TeraFlex Nomad beadlock wheels. They fit without rubbing at full lock, though I'm sure I'll get some without much articulation. Probably switch back to the stockers soon and just run those for the winter.

Next up will probably be full skid system and differential skids. Probably a winch pretty soon as well, too (or so the wife says).

Trying to decide on 2.5" lift and shocks. Leaning MetalCloak, but concerned they aren't making a diesel specific spring. Had TeraFlex on my JKs and they were great, but the 3.3 doesn't fit with the diesel up front. Rock Krawler also in contention. Open to ideas/thoughts/insights.

NewJL1.jpg

NewJL3.jpg

NewJL4.jpg
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
You’ve been busy! Absolutely love the metalcloak and without the diesel specific spring, I’d suggest doing a 3.5” lift instead. The diesels sit about .5” lower than that gassers. Excited to see your build and what you come up with. Just say no to TF :LOL:

brett

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
White JLU Rubicon with Dark Saddle leather interior, with the tan soft top. I had a hard time finding any images of the combo before I ordered, so wanted to throw a few photos up to maybe help others decide. I am really happy with the look!

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon NewJL12

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon NewJL15
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon NewJL20
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon NewJL21

Sponsored

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Did some boat shuffling and some central Wasatch backcountry drives over the weekend.

Jeep did great pulling my 3500 lbs boat up the canyon back to the lake. Didn't loose power and decelerate on the steepest sections like the 2020 Tahoe I had last month did. Love that diesel!

Found the rub spots with the 37s, mostly at the rear fender liners and pinch seam covers others have noticed. I thought about bump stop extensions, but I'd have to limit about half of my up-travel. For now I'll wait on a lift (and a few more shakedown miles).

I did notice the extra weight when off road; I've never bottomed out so frequently! Especially on the front end. All the more reason not to install bump stop extensions without longer springs.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201003_161817

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201003_154403

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201003_160549

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201003_130514

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201004_111055

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
We decided to name the Jeep "Pandacon" or "The Panda." Also started the next phase of projects.

First off, sold the stock Rubicon wheels and BFG KO2 tires. Weighed the stock setup and the beadlock KM3s before they went. Stock, 73.8 lbs; Beadlocks, 114.6 lbs.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201128_105003

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201128_105539

Next project was to install the Warn VR10 Evo winch. Install was pretty straight forward, but I did have to grind out the rear holes some on the front skid plate to get the two bolts back in. I also noticed lots of scratches along the top of the front frame horns. This was mentioned in another thread, but also very apparent on mine. Any ideas why my frame would have 2 SN stickers on the front and the orange X?

I still have the Warn Solenoid Kit to install, but it showed up a few days late so hasn't been installed yet. Factor 55 Flatlink showed up a couple days later so that was a 5-minute install, though I haven't taken another photo yet.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201128_150233

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201128_191805

Finally, the Jeep got the Artec front axle disconnect skid and rear lower control arm skids. Installs for both were easy and I probably had all complete in less than an hour. Photo below with stock skid on left and Artec FAD replacement on right. MUCH more stout!
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201202_164822

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201202_180325

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Another project I started but couldn't finish was installing the Teraflex Alpha HD Tire Carrier. Didn't finish because it doesn't work with the updated factory camera. Pretty disappointed in Teraflex and the time I've had to waste on them. Both of their products I've purchased for the JL just don't work as intended. Had much better luck with their JK products.

I messaged Teraflex about the issue and was told "Yes, we have recently discovered" the issue, and "working on a solution." "Temporarily you can solve this with a small spacer or something." Um, they must not understand how the product is assembled. There is no way a small spacer can retain the camera, unless it happens to have the 3 small bolts that hold the old style camera. Don't think I'll be finding one of those in my "small spacer or something" bin in the garage... I also don't think I'll be able to wait "a couple months" while TF tries to figure out a solution.

I currently have the Teraflex JL Spare Tire Relocation Bracket installed, but it needed grinding to allow fitment with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement. That and the backspace of my Teraflex Nomad wheels holds the wheel WAY out from the tailgate, adding a lot of leverage against the hinges.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201202_173226

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Looks like I'm well behind in my build update. Guess life got in the way of posting, but it has been enjoyable procrastination for my work overload these last few weeks.

I did install the MetalCloak 2.5" GameChanger lift with RockSport shocks last December. Was able to get the lift at the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale in late 2020. Installed in a weekend in my garage just before Xmas.

These pics were taken on Xmas Eve on a little shakedown near my house. Front wheel travel is close to 2 feet! Rear travel is not much less. Really happy with the quality of the lift and the flex.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201224_131628

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20201224_131644
Unfortunately, in February 2021 with under 6000 miles I noticed an engine oil leak. Thread link here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/21-diesel-oil-leak-on-engine-drivers-side.65809/

It was in the shop for pretty much all of February and March, most of which was waiting on a backordered fuel injector tube. The day I got it back I tried hauling an empty boat trailer up the canyon to the lake and it overheated three times and went into limp mode. Dealer service manager says it was improperly bled coolant system. Did not inspire confidence in the repair to say the least. Started the lemon process but Jeep retention made and offer that I felt was adequate to keep the Jeep and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
love the tan leather seats on a White Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
After getting the Jeep back at the end of March (and cancelling a spring break trip to Moab and southern Utah), the next project was GMRS install.

I went with the Midland MXT275 because I wanted to hide the base unit. I ordered through @CoolTech as he's a site sponsor and got the JL kit with a stubby antenna. Nice to work with and quick shipping, but I'm not sure I'd get the kit again.

I discarded the mic mount after installing it. It just put the mic in front of the vent and would turn the radio tune knob every time I picked up the mic or shifted it. I ended up mounting the clip to the angled piece on the side of the grab bar in-line with the tuner and it has worked great there.

I do like the antenna mount. I can't see the antenna from the driver's seat, so very unobtrusive.

I routed the cable through the firewall in the clutch plug as a few others have done and it was pretty easy, though limited workspace. The base unit is mounted with velcro just below the steering column. Unfortunately I have about 8'+ of coiled coax next to the unit. Some day I'll get around to shortening that.

From there the remote mount cable runs behind the dash to the passenger footwell next to the console. The mic cable clips in just above the lower dash/glovebox panel and it is easy to reach if/when I want to remove the mic.

Power is #4 aux switch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon GMRS Install 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon GMRS Install 2

Coax through the clutch plug on engine bay side:
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon GMRS Install 3

Coax through clutch plug above brake in footwell:
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon GMRS Install 4

Base unit mounted below steering column from front with lower knee panel removed:
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon GMRS Install 5

Base unit from backside with steering column above:
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon GMRS Install 6

Troublesome mic mount that has been removed. Mic mount now sits just right of the tuner knob:
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon GMRS Install 7

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I spent months debating which rock rail to get. A few criteria: strong, as I do use this Jeep in the rocks; tucked up high; step to help the lady get in and out, as well as to help get skis on the roof and keep rocks off the side of the Jeep; no-flex.

I settled on the ARB rails and have been happy. The alignment leaves an uneven gap between the step and body plate, but it isn't much and I can deal with that. One plus is that rocks don't get trapped against the body as they do with the factory rails and many of the aftermarket ones.

One downside it that I had to drill 13 rather large holes in each side of the body for the base plate nutzerks! The Jeep wasn't even a year old! Nerve-racking! I bought a mid-range nutzerk tool off Amazon and it went well.

I taped the body where the body mount would be, marked my holes, used and awl to get a start point, smaller bit for first hole, then larger (I think 11mm bit) for the final. Took my time and it went smoothly.

These rock rails use a base plate mounted to the body with those 13 bolts, then the 3 body/frame mount bolts as well. I have dragged them over more than a few rocks and they haven't moved or flexed that I can tell. I haven't dropped really hard onto them, but I try to be easier and slower on my Jeep when in those situations, at least easier and slower than I was in my 20s!

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon ARB Sliders Install 1.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon ARB Sliders Install 2.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon ARB Sliders Install 3.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon ARB Sliders Install 4.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon ARB Sliders Install 5.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon ARB Sliders Install 6.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon ARB Sliders Install 7.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon ARB Sliders Install 8

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Now that I posed the rock rails, I guess I have to back up a little. In May I built and installed a fridge platform for a Dometic CFX3-45. Thank you @Northridge4x4 for the forum sponsorship and discount!

We don't use the rear seat often, but do have the dog with us most trips. We opted to remove the smaller (40%) rear seat and the fridge was a perfect fit there.

I made a template/mock-up with some plywood I had around the house as a proof of concept and ran with that for a couple weeks until I could get back into the project.

I designed the platform so I could make it out of a single 24"x48" piece of plywood and picked up some nicer birch ply.

I glued the joints, then added some small metal brackets after it all dried to ensure it would handle the weight and movement. I modified a generic Home Depot/Lowes angle bracket to bolt everything to the now-unused seat bolt in the tub floor.

After assembly I painted everything in several coats of spray plasti-dip.

I also ordered a set of hard top D-rings from Amazon or Ebay that I then mounted to the rear bolts of the driver's seat. The fridge his held in place by cam-straps from each of those on the front, and single cam-strap from the front-most driver's side anchor point in the trunk. Everything is stout and the fridge doesn't move at all, even when fully loaded on hard core trails or at speed in the desert.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon Jeep Fridge 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon Jeep Fridge 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon Jeep Fridge 3

I designed it with just enough space under for a Bluetti battery to keep it running, though most of the time now I just run it off the 12v plug in the rear cargo area. In this photo you can just see the angle bracket in the middle support that bolts to the floor.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon Jeep Fridge 4

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon Jeep Fridge 5

Installed and after a good run up Mary Ellen Gulch. In the background you can see top of the Snowbird tram and the start of the Parley's Canyon fire last summer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon Jeep Fridge 6

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
The latest project was installing and ARB compressor in the rear cargo area, behind the fridge. I went with the M.O.R.E. mount as I wanted it inside and didn't want to modify the HVAC ducting under the seats.

I ended up spending WAY too much time making a custom wiring loom from the engine bay to the cargo area, but feel like I did it right. Harness ended up being about 17' long, but everything is shrink-wrapped and anything under the Jeep or in the engine bay is also protected with a fiberglass sleeve. I am quite happy with how it turned out, and even happier to have such fast air at every trailhead!

While I was spending so much time wiring all of this in, I also made a bracket with some metal I had from another project for the Warn winch solenoid. The air compressor is now Aux 3 and the winch is Aux 2.

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon ARB Compressor Mounted

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon ARB Compressor Mounted 3

Jeep Wrangler JL Just Another White Rubicon IMG_20211002_153004
Sponsored