GearWhore

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
We finally picked up our new Jeep JLU Rubicon Diesel yesterday! After a road trip home, I had the roof rack and ski box installed by dinner, then got the hard top on the hoist and off the Jeep in time for a midnight topless cruise through the neighborhood. Feels good to be back in a Wrangler!

Not totally sure where this build will go. We do a lot of overland type trips, which is why I gave up a manual to get the diesel. We also live a couple hours north of Moab, the Swell, and everything else Utah has to offer, with regular trips to surrounding states and beyond.

I installed the soft top and 37s this morning (Jeep was less than 24 hours old!). I really love the white with the dark saddle interior. The tan soft top really ties the room together.

37" KM3 on TeraFlex Nomad beadlock wheels. They fit without rubbing at full lock, though I'm sure I'll get some without much articulation. Probably switch back to the stockers soon and just run those for the winter.

Next up will probably be full skid system and differential skids. Probably a winch pretty soon as well, too (or so the wife says).

Trying to decide on 2.5" lift and shocks. Leaning MetalCloak, but concerned they aren't making a diesel specific spring. Had TeraFlex on my JKs and they were great, but the 3.3 doesn't fit with the diesel up front. Rock Krawler also in contention. Open to ideas/thoughts/insights.

NewJL1.jpg

NewJL3.jpg

NewJL4.jpg

Advertisement

rustyshakelford

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brett
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
You’ve been busy! Absolutely love the metalcloak and without the diesel specific spring, I’d suggest doing a 3.5” lift instead. The diesels sit about .5” lower than that gassers. Excited to see your build and what you come up with. Just say no to TF :LOL:

brett

OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
White JLU Rubicon with Dark Saddle leather interior, with the tan soft top. I had a hard time finding any images of the combo before I ordered, so wanted to throw a few photos up to maybe help others decide. I am really happy with the look!

NewJL12.jpg

NewJL15.jpg
NewJL20.jpg
NewJL21.jpg

OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Did some boat shuffling and some central Wasatch backcountry drives over the weekend.

Jeep did great pulling my 3500 lbs boat up the canyon back to the lake. Didn't loose power and decelerate on the steepest sections like the 2020 Tahoe I had last month did. Love that diesel!

Found the rub spots with the 37s, mostly at the rear fender liners and pinch seam covers others have noticed. I thought about bump stop extensions, but I'd have to limit about half of my up-travel. For now I'll wait on a lift (and a few more shakedown miles).

I did notice the extra weight when off road; I've never bottomed out so frequently! Especially on the front end. All the more reason not to install bump stop extensions without longer springs.
IMG_20201003_161817.jpg

IMG_20201003_154403.jpg

IMG_20201003_160549.jpg

IMG_20201003_130514.jpg

IMG_20201004_111055.jpg

Advertisement

Motor City Aftermarket

Advertisement