Sponsored

2.0 Engine Skid Plates

ASFIR4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JK, JL, Gladiator
I just installed the ASFIR engine and transfer case skids. It wasn't too bad, but they only give you a drawing, not instructions. A few simple tips would make it much easier.

The transfer case is a piece of cake. Pretty self explanatory.

The engine skid you should do the following:
1. remove the front cross brace, save the bolts. You use one of them to mount the rear of the engine skid.
2. Install the 2 front brackets. Leave a little play in them.
3. To install the front driver side bracket, bend the extension arm on the bolt holder they provide which goes inside the frame. The bend allows you to align it to match the angle of the bolt coming through the bracket into the frame.
4. Install the skid plate starting with the two rear bolts. (I rested it on a cardboard box to support it near the final position.
5. Attach the front 2 brackets to the skid.
6. Tighten all bolts.

For the weight and price these seem great. I tow behind a motorhome so I didn't want to add 200 pounds for a full skid system. These two pieces protect the most vulnerable parts.
Hi, thanks for that!!

This should also help -

:)
Sponsored

ASFIR4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JK, JL, Gladiator
Dang this videos would have been helpful 2months ago! Lol. Last time I talked to Leonard I mentioned making a couple quick install videos since they were plenty of people interested.
Thanks for the awesome idea Jason! Hope this is helpful :)

ASFIR4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JK, JL, Gladiator
This is the part where vendor presence on the forums comes in really handy.
Truuu! Fashinably late, but we're here now. We're also available at ASFIR4x4 on FB and at [email protected] - don't hesitate to contact us for any questions, thoughts or pics of your JEEP.

ASFIR4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JK, JL, Gladiator
It's fairly easy to bend. I just bent mine, stuck it in the frame, and then unbent it enough that it should stay in there. Figured that way there was nothing sharp or pointy sticking out.

Also, to anyone wondering, I contacted Asfir about my transfer case skid not fitting and they agreed that they sent me an early design on accident. They've absolutely made it right and I couldn't be happier with their customer service.
Thrilled to hear that...! mistakes happen, thank you for being so understandnig and patient. :)

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
I got the engine and transfer case skid installed this weekend. Overall it was pretty simple to do. Maybe an hours worth of work. As others have said watch the video posted and lay all the parts out. Have some patience and wear safety glasses :)

Hopefully will be able to flex and test out the skids in the next few weeks when I go out wheeling.

@ASFIR4X4 any plans to make a skid for the 2.0T with e-torque battery?

Thanks,

Ken~

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m the guy with the 3.6 on this 2.0 thread Chiming in. I think I’m the only pentastar owner who has purchased ASFIR’s product. I have been beating on this skid for a few months now and it has taken the beatings like a champ. If your on the fence about ordering it I say do it. It’s a stout bit of kit at a great price.
side note I received mine in 1 week from ordering.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m the guy with the 3.6 on this 2.0 thread Chiming in. I think I’m the only pentastar owner who has purchased ASFIR’s product. I have been beating on this skid for a few months now and it has taken the beatings like a champ. If your on the fence about ordering it I say do it. It’s a stout bit of kit at a great price.
side note I received mine in 1 week from ordering.
Also they sent a cool T shirt in the box which was awesome. What’s not so awesome is I’m American and there’s no way in hell I can squeeze into that shirt.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Is anyone using @ASFIR4X4's fuel tank skid? If so, does it increase ground clearance 3/4" like Artec's full belly skid?
I have the Artec - you gain 3/4” because it replaces the factory skid. The net weight gain with the Artec set up is less than 20lbs...while providing full coverage. That said - it’s really pricey....

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have the Artec - you gain 3/4” because it replaces the factory skid. The net weight gain with the Artec set up is less than 20lbs...while providing full coverage. That said - it’s really pricey....
I can't really find any information on if the Asfir fuel tank skid replaces or covers the factory skid.

That and Artec doesn't offer it for a 2-door.

Sponsored

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
Was able to finally take the new Recon off-road and hit a section of difficult rails on accident. Luckily the Jeep handled it all, but very glad I had the Engine/Transfer case skids from ASFIR as they held up perfectly.

The biggest thing that got scratched was actually the 48v battery, but at least the stock skid held up. Need to find a skid to help that area for sure.

@ASFIR are you planning on making a skid plate for the 48v battery for the Jeeps with e-torque?

Thanks,

Ken~

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I'm looking at the Artec, but the issue I have is the removal of the stock gas tank skid because of it's side protection provided. Just doesn't sit well with me for whatever reason (leaking ball of flame).

I haven't looked closely though to see if there is a bolt or anything next to the tank that could get shoved into it somehow if not protected on the sides.
(my quote from another thread)

I took a look today. The issue with removal of the factory gas tank skid is the driveline. Driveline failure will produce a very high chance of gas tank damage or puncture.

Doubt I will go with the Artecs unfortunately

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
You are correct about the Artec set up - I have it and like it but the gas tank exposure is real. While there is no immediate threat to the gas tank from bolts or such, I might have thought more about the purchase had I thought about gas tank exposure. I don’t really think it’s a big concern but if a large rock was thrown into the drive shaft I could see the tank being vulnerable.

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Hey all - I was trying to search through this thread to find my answer but couldn't quite find it.
Anyone running the Asfir skids on a 2-door 3.6L Manual Transmission JL? If yes, how was the fit? Thanks!

DarthDug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
I ordered an ASFIR today. Thanks everyone for going first and reviewing them.
Sponsored