Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
What did you use to get in their to tighten?
Tiniest 1/4" ratchet I could find and a stubby Torx bit set off Amazon. I think it's a T30, could be wrong on that though, so verify fitment.
Sponsored

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
Thank you OP. Very useful thread. I knew about the 2 bolts coming loose thing but had no idea I should keep an eye on the coolant level.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Just checked my coolant level first time in three years (have 8K on vehicle) and it was barely visible on inspection and well below the dipstick level. Never had any visible leaks or overheating issues so picked up some on Amazon. Curious how much it's going to take. The other tanks seem fine. This thread was a great reminder. I wonder if it was somewhat low from the factory.

Pismo61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Just checked my coolant level first time in three years (have 8K on vehicle) and it was barely visible on inspection and well below the dipstick level. Never had any visible leaks or overheating issues so picked up some on Amazon. Curious how much it's going to take. The other tanks seem fine. This thread was a great reminder. I wonder if it was somewhat low from the factory.
For me about a cup/8oz,

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
For me about a cup/8oz,
I ended up adding about a pint and a few more ounces give or take so was quite a bit down. Have never had any visible leaks or overheating indications but glad this thread was a reminder.

Sponsored

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Just checked mine. Did not register on the stick. Checked the oil, overfilled from the dealer. That's two for two on overfilling. Time to get a Mishimoto drain plug.
Edit: Reilly doesn't have the Mopar coolant. Or air filter. Will have to look on Amazon.

Last edited:

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Reilly doesn't have the Mopar coolant. Or air filter. Will have to look on Amazon.
I had to do the same. No one around me had the coolant, so I ordered it from Amazon.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
The opaque reservoir is just ignorant.

I had a posted awhile back my '22 was off the dipstick when I checked it a couple months after i got it. I filled it with maybe 12oz. Move forward a couple more months, I've had to add a couple times to maintain it on the Max line.

It is definitely concerning. I see no leaks or puddles. I pretty much check it every other day now.

Misery loves company so I guess I'm glad y'all are having the same issue.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I agree - the opaque reservoir has got to be one of the worst ideas.

Since we had the dealer fix the loose water pump bolts (since it was already going in for the replacement steering box TSB) I haven't needed to add a drop to the wife's 2.0.

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
I agree - the opaque reservoir has got to be one of the worst ideas.

Since we had the dealer fix the loose water pump bolts (since it was already going in for the replacement steering box TSB) I haven't needed to add a drop to the wife's 2.0.
Forgive the potentially foolish question, but does the same coolant go into both the opaque and clear reservoirs? My top black one close to the windshield is not registering on the dipstick, just want to be sure.

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Forgive the potentially foolish question, but does the same coolant go into both the opaque and clear reservoirs? My top black one close to the windshield is not registering on the dipstick, just want to be sure.
Yes

Rover72

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Land Rover
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 5.41.56 PM.png

These are the 2 torx bolts you need to check to make sure your water pump inlet is properly fastened. This seem to affect quite a few 2.0s
^^^ this problem is long standing and pervasive, my 2022 started leaking last week at 12k miles. The top bolt had vibrated loose and was leaking slightly for 2 days with the antifreeze burning off, smelled it, showing no leak on the ground. Third day it had vibrated enough to leak out about a gallon with a big puddle on the ground. There was another thread on this, 2 T30 torx screw problem talking about a TSB that goes back to 2018, I believe. The TSB stopped in 2021 the thread stated and my 2022 still had the same problem however. I just tightened the screws with a 1/4 ratchet and T30 bit solving the issue for 1 week now, I thought about using Loctite and will wait to see if loosens again before doing this. From the others in this thread who had service performed, the dealers did apply Loctite which should absolutely solve the issue. For what its worth I added Peak orange OAT antifreeze because that is all the auto parts store had for OAT (newer jeeps take OAT anitfreeze not HOAT) and I was stranded otherwise not wanting to deal with a tow truck. I contacted Peak tech support the next day and they confirmed it is compatible with Mopar OAT. I would generally use all manufactures fluids, except since I spoke with Peak I am not messing with it until and if the problem re-occurs. It is my understanding mixing incompatible antifreeze will cause a problem so make sure of what you are adding if non Mopar.

Rover72

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Land Rover
With mine, I never used thread locker or even changed out the gasket. I also never torqued them. I cranked down on them and called it a day. So far, it's still tight and no leaks. One thing I did notice when I pressure tested it, it sprayed coolant on the ground and into the radiator. So the coolant smell took a while to go away (when it happened to me it was really cold out and I was not going to rinse the whole thing off).

For anyone wanting to look, just lay on the ground and scoot yourself right under the FL part of the Jeep (about under the steering box). Look up and you'll see the lower radiator hose and where it goes to the water pump. It'll leak where the aluminum housing bolts to the water pump. If leaking, there will be pink crusty stuff all around it.
^^^ yes, what he says

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

2021 JLU Sahara @ 21K miles. Happened upon this thread, went to check. Sure enough, my dipstick was bone dry and I have pink crusties all around the edges of the black reservoir. Bought a gallon of MOPAR 50-50 coolant and added it this weekend, and haven't seen a drop leak out yet.

Plan to crawl up under there and try to reach the bolts tonight, but also pinged the local dealership with the TSB - interested to see if they cover it for my 2021.

HOWEVER, I'm headed out on a ~2K mile road trip this coming Saturday. If I tighten these up, I should be OK, right? I plan to throw the leftover jug of coolant in the back of the Jeep, as well, for backup, and check the dipstick daily till then.
Sponsored