Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Maximus -3. Easy. Cheap. One piece. Good quality products and experience previously. Fits my x2o perfectly.
Sponsored

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Mounted the Maximus 3 winch plate with Smittybilt Gen 3 winch this weekend...No issues on the install, everything went smooth. The clearances are super tight between the Gen 3 control box and the grill, like millimeters tight...but man, this thing spools FAST. Probably the fastest winch I've ever used. I will say that using a quality ratchet set is key, you need one that makes micro adjustments with a swivel head in order to get those inner bolts on easily. A crappy wrench with bad ratcheting action will have you wanting to cut yourself. Now I just need to figure out where to wire the positive LED power wire for the control box LED...Any suggestions??

kidintraffic

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
For those with the Maximus-3 plate with hook anchor - how's the red match up with the OEM red hooks on the bumper?

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm installing my winch this weekend. My first choice was the WARN mounting plate, but since it's on backorder for 3 more weeks I went with Rusty's as my second choice.

From the youtube videos Ive watched, Rusty's is the easiest to put on and mounts behind the bumper plates so it doesnt push the bumper out to the front at all.

The Rugged ridge does push the bumper out and so you have to modify the lower skid plate mounts to fit.

Sponsored

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I used the Maximus 3 plate with a Smittybilt X20. After hearing horror stories about the JCR plate and difficulties installing the Warn plate, I was already looking at the Maximus 3 and then the shop that installed my lift said the M3 was their preference because of ease of install and strength. Both the plate and the winch were a very easy install.

I guess the only issue with the M3 is if you are using a Warn Zeon, part of the mount has to be bent out of the way because of the size of the Zeon, but all other small body winches fit with no modifications.

I also really like the Maximus 3 hook anchor.

winch.JPG
@DHW What has the experience been with this winch plate so far? Has it held up? Any flexing or bending? Were you able to use the factory skid plate without modification?

When you say part of the mount has to be bent out of the way.... that is kinda concerning?!? How did you bend the mount? If you were able to bend the mount is the mount cheap and bendable on use?

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another vote for Maximus-3.

The Good:
The Bad/Ugly:
  • Instructions were not 100% correct, wasted time assembling in wrong order. They have since come out with version 2 to fix these issues.
  • Minor modifications were needed
  • Very hard to access nuts/bolts with a Warn Zeon.
@AnnDee4444 What minor mods were needed? Did you need special tools or have to cut anything? Also was this needed due to the winch you bought or the plate design? Could you use the factory skid plate?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
@AnnDee4444 What minor mods were needed? Did you need special tools or have to cut anything? Also was this needed due to the winch you bought or the plate design? Could you use the factory skid plate?
Maximus-3 has since redesigned their plate, so I am not sure what is still necessary. I had to do some light trimming (about 1/4") on the skid plate bracket with an angle grinder. This was due to the Maximus-3 plate, not the winch. Here are my notes from another thread, which were in reference to their instructions at the time:
  • The skidplate brackets need to be removed & trimmed before the winch plate will fit. Also the skidplate wont fit unless brackets are adjusted.
  • Since you have to remove these brackets anyway, it's becomes way easier to get to the lower winch plate nuts from the bottom.
  • I found it physically impossible to bolt a Zeon down after the bumper was installed. Bolts are too long, not enough clearance.
  • It's possible to bolt a Zeon to the plate before the bumper. Factory nuts can be used. Thread them on as the bumper is being remounted.
  • Tightening the outer bumper nuts first is wrong. If you are going to have issues it would be with the inner bolts. Tighten them first.
  • The winch mounting holes are not aligned very well with a Zeon.

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maximus-3 has since redesigned their plate, so I am not sure what is still necessary. I had to do some light trimming (about 1/4") on the skid plate bracket with an angle grinder. This was due to the Maximus-3 plate, not the winch. Here are my notes from another thread, which were in reference to their instructions at the time:
  • The skidplate brackets need to be removed & trimmed before the winch plate will fit. Also the skidplate wont fit unless brackets are adjusted.
  • Since you have to remove these brackets anyway, it's becomes way easier to get to the lower winch plate nuts from the bottom.
  • I found it physically impossible to bolt a Zeon down after the bumper was installed. Bolts are too long, not enough clearance.
  • It's possible to bolt a Zeon to the plate before the bumper. Factory nuts can be used. Thread them on as the bumper is being remounted.
  • Tightening the outer bumper nuts first is wrong. If you are going to have issues it would be with the inner bolts. Tighten them first.
  • The winch mounting holes are not aligned very well with a Zeon.
@AnnDee4444 how long ago did you install this your post was just a couple of months ago so curious how you know that it has been redesigned?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Sponsored

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
I just installed the Maximus 3 gen 2 plate a couple weeks ago...I didn’t need to trim anything. I can’t imagine the process getting any easier. No way is this thing bending, it’s wedged in between the frame and bumper bolts, if anything it strengthened the whole front end.

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the Maximus 3 gen 2 plate a couple weeks ago...I didn’t need to trim anything. I can’t imagine the process getting any easier. No way is this thing bending, it’s wedged in between the frame and bumper bolts, if anything it strengthened the whole front end.
what winch did you install on it? were you able to keep the factory skid plate with no issues or mods?

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sweet, i called them as well. Got the answers need.

Thanks all!

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
@DHW What has the experience been with this winch plate so far? Has it held up? Any flexing or bending? Were you able to use the factory skid plate without modification?

When you say part of the mount has to be bent out of the way.... that is kinda concerning?!? How did you bend the mount? If you were able to bend the mount is the mount cheap and bendable on use?
Yea I have no problems at all with it. I’ve only used the winch 4-5 times, but so far it has held up fine. And yes, the Mopar skid plate went back on with no issue.

And I was completely wrong about the issue with the Zeon. Nothing needed to be bent or cut, it was just nearly impossible to get the bumper bolts back on on one side because the winch was in the way. However it appears M3 has fixed this issue.
Sponsored