TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue but the dealership thinks it’s the gear sensor. It’s not reading what gear I’m in so when I shift into reverse I guess it was still thinking I’m in neutral- this is their explanation. Hopefully when they replace this sensor I will have reverse lights again. Lol.
Don't know if this applies to your situation but someone must be in the drivers seat when you shift into reverse and remain there. If the driver gets out it will put the transmission in PARK (at least it does with the auto tranny) regardless of what gear you are in. Found that out when trying to check my own aux reverse lights.

I really like the LED package but the stock reverse lights are worthless.
Sponsored

Speedy3

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRX, e-tron, Triumph S3
Is the bumper removered to add these lights?

Thanks,

Don
I did it with the bumper still on. In hindsight it would have been much easier to get to and secure the nuts behind the lights if it was removed. I ended up using the painters tape on the socket to reach in from behind.

Matt

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Following up on a few requests I've received for pictures of light output at night. I can report back that I absolutely love this install. Some have suggested that if I hitch up it could be a problem. Sure, maybe. If I'm hitched up, though, I'm not sure I would be relying on the camera in the first place.

Here are some pics for those who have asked...

Just wanted to share that I installed a Rigid Scene Light (1100 lumens) on the underside of the hitch and wired it following the double diode idea to Aux 3 and the hitch plug wire for back up lights. It works great, puts out a ton of light and is very discreet. I also really liked that I didn't need two of them and could center mount the single. Happy to answer more questions about it.

Jeep 7.jpg

Jeep 8.jpg
IMG_4777.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

DKAwildcat

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara, 2008 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster, & 2015 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
A216F026-E56E-4856-91A1-55D298830FE0.jpeg
Has anyone installed this REESE Towpower LED Lighted Hitch Step? For someone like me who is not comfortable splicing into existing wiring, the plug-and-play into the 7-pin factory installed wiring harness appeals to me. My biggest concern is that it hangs low. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

AnthemAVM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Has anyone put on 2 a pair of S2 and looked at the wide cornering version?

Thanks

Michael

Sponsored

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail
I am not an electrical dude, so I am confused

I saw you did the mod on your back-up lights so the are switched, along with turning on in reverse.

I am a little confused because when I look at the wire diagram it shows two different wires...one white w/orange stripe, the other side of the Jeep is white w/purple stripe. So I have to splice into both wires?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/BACK-UP-LAMPS-SYSTEM.pdf

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I can finally see when I back up! This is actually wired to my aux switch so I can potentially use it aside from when I am reversing.

The light is the zroadz rear bumper mounted 10" LED

RearLight02.jpg
RearLight03.jpg
RearLight04.jpg
RearLight07.jpg

Last edited:

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
@SONofHELGI

I hear ya.... I look at it as, that there is a chance of a hiccup/ a glitch if a diode(s) is not included in the mix. CAN BUS is lets say fickled. Ya never know, as one time you do get a hiccup and sometimes you don't. It is really easy to add a diode(s) to the mix. I no longer solder so, I just use a splice in diode.

Yes, splice in's are say $11 and solder in's are $1.00+ but.......... 8-)

I used 2 splice in diodes when I wired in my Rigid b/u's into the tow wiring. I use the Aux switch to activate and it also works with stock b/u lights.
@Rhinebeck01 I may have missed this somewhere, but in this setup, where did you locate the diodes to protect them from moisture? Just ordered new bumpers and backup lights, going for the same install. TIA

Sponsored

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 I may have missed this somewhere, but in this setup, where did you locate the diodes to protect them from moisture? Just ordered new bumpers and backup lights, going for the same install. TIA
@Rhinebeck01 quit the forums last May.

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@jeepixel

I believe you are misunderstanding.....

Anyway,

IF you are wiring backup- light(s) to just an Aux, then no, you do not need a diode.

If you are wiring up backup lights to just the 7 pin connector backup wire, you do not need a diode.

If you are hooking up the backup lights to just the backup wire at the tail lamps, you do not need a diode.

In the case of backup lights wired to both an Aux and the backup wire at the tail lamp or at the 7 pin connector, then yes you need 2 diodes.

In regard to directly connecting to some 12v source on the JL, no you do not need a diode.

I’ve read this thread many times and my situation is slightly different so I need advice... I have LED light package

I do not have factory tow package but I installed a tekonsha T one 4 pin wiring and a hitch. This is just a 4 pin setup with power supplied directly from battery and the harness plugs into each taillight and has diode, relay etc. great kit and works great. I needed ability for 7 pin style for added trailer brakes so I added a Hopkins 7 pin conversion to allow for use of a Bluetooth curt echo brake controller. The Hopkins conversion also has its own power supply directly from battery (used to power curt echo brake controller) but does not use the reverse light/aux connection on the 7 pin. This lead from the Hopkins 7 pin adapter is not used currently and tucked away.

Question: I do not need separate switch for the new auxiliary backup light I plan to add as I only want it to come on in reverse. I know I can tap into either taillight to get the reverse light power signal, but should I add a relay and add power from one of my power leads that goes directly to the battery? I have seen relays with diodes built in and wasn’t sure if I can simply just splice into factory taillight reverse light wire OR if I should tap into that factory taillight wire, AND connect it to new relay, connect power direct from battery to relay and then ground relay with output from relay going to my new Led auxiliary backup light.

Basically I have 2 power wires coming directly from battery to rear of jeep and a 4 pin harness wired with the 7 pin conversion but the reverse light pin is not connected so I can’t just tap into that for the aux light. Based on what I have read I don’t need diode but not sure if simply tapping into reverse light wire from taillight is ok or if I need to bring in additional power from one of my direct battery connections via a relay

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Careful of splicing into the factory harness. A friend has the LEDs and had a warranty problem. He did not have the factory tow package and added a hitch. He had a hitch installed and the company that did it spliced into the factory back up light wires. He had no problems for 6 months. After that one of his rear LED tail lights went out so he took it to the dealer assuming it was a simple warranty claim. The dealer told him the rear LED was not covered under the warranty because the wiring harness was spliced into. I think the rear LED cost him over $400.

I found this plug and play kit for anyone wanting to add a tow wiring kit. It includes everything. The "T" connectors are nice. You just unplug your factory rear lights and plug the "T" connectors in between the tail light and factory harness. No splicing into the factory harness. You can just tap into one of the back-up wires for extra back up lights. It also includes a control module with diodes. It can be unplugged and removed easily without any damage to any factory wires.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit...Wrangler/2019/C56407.html?vehicleID=201971195

I have a similar wiring harness installed currently. What wire would you tap into for reverse lights? It can’t be one of the 4 pin since those don’t have reverse lights as on every of the pins so I am guessing one of the white wires after the plug that goes into factory taillight wiring? I like the idea of tapping into the harness vs. factory wiring but not sure what wire would be reverse lights

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I have a similar wiring harness installed currently. What wire would you tap into for reverse lights? It can’t be one of the 4 pin since those don’t have reverse lights as on every of the pins so I am guessing one of the white wires after the plug that goes into factory taillight wiring? I like the idea of tapping into the harness vs. factory wiring but not sure what wire would be reverse lights
The 4-pin can be used.

From forum member @Bingy.

“If you mount LED's to the rear bumper and if you have the trailer tow wiring harness, you can simply wire them into the reverse light circuit of the tow harness (this, of course, if you want them wired into the reverse circuit and not as a stand alone aux solution).

On the tow wiring harness find the white wire with orange trace. This is your LED hot wire and is the reverse light wire for the tow harness. Wire both lights together and run your red or white LED hot wires to this tow wiring harness wire. Then do the same thing for your ground. Wire both LED grounds together and splice them into the tow harness black wire. Then when you place the Jeep into reverse, your auxiliary lights will also work.

Now if you want to wire reverse lights as a stand alone lighting circuit, you will have to wire them into one of your aux switches on the dash (if you have the aux switch package). If you don't, then you will have to wire those LED's direct to the battery with an external switch mounted wherever near your dash.”

Last edited:

AnthemAVM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Is ROADMASTER 690 Single Park Light Diode the preferred diode to be used?

Michael
Sponsored