plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
So today I finally swap my stock LCA with Mopar lift LCA, my JL is currently at stock height, but I hope that slightly longer LCA can give me a bit more caster. Also, it is Mopar so the dealer can't tell I swapped unless they look at it under a microscope.

As you can see in the picture, Mopar lift LCA is slightly longer than the stock LCA (measured by about 1/4 inch). In case you are interested in doing this mod, the part number for Mopar lift LCA is 68322798AA. If you want to use a new set of bolts and nuts, they are 6512085AA (bolt, M16-1.5x104mm) and 6104720AA (nut). The torque specs are 190 ft-lb. The 103 and 125 ft-lbs floating around the internet are from the old JK smaller bolt and nut specs, JL has a larger bolt so the torque should be much higher.

Some tips for your installation:

(1) Tools, tools, tools! Breaking free LCA requires a 21 mm deep socket and 24 mm wrench, since the space is really limited under the car, you need to have an impact wrench that can deliver good torque.

(2) The new LCA will be longer, so you need to jack up the frame slightly (shown in another picture, please ignore the crappy bottle jack setup, I am just too lazy to pull my 3-ton). This will move axle forward and help align the holes.. Once you push one side in, the other side should be easy since the axle is already moved.

(3) I put a tiny bit of anti-seize in the LCA mount, does not hurt to have a little bit.

20190125_125501.jpg

20190125_130524.jpg

Update: not sure if it is placebo, but my Rubicon now tracks super straight, I can keep it straight at 70 mph with one finger. I will do an alignment next week to see how much caster I gain but it is definitely a much improvement.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Both my local dealer and Mymoparparts (TX) has it, I think Allmoparparts (forum vendor here) can throw in a free shipping (Code: fs2020). They will say this part do not fit your VIN (because it is part of the lift kit), but you can just go ahead tell them if it won't fit it will be on you.

Part number: 68322798AA (apparently you need two)

If you are also superstitious about reusing bolts and nuts, you can also buy
6512085AA
6104720AA
You need four sets of these. But realistically the old bolts and nuts will be just fine, they are class 10.9 which is equivalent to grade 8.

Last edited:
OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure why FCA is not pushing this easy and cheap fix on all Rubicons, but again they are replacing the whole rear glass because of a small defroster detachment, so there you go.

Rubicon suspension is about 1.5 inches higher than Sahara and Sport, but all three use the same length LCA. Therefore Rubicon has a lower positive caster (typically 4~4.5) while Sahara and Sport have 5~5.5. The low caster affected Rubicon's ability to track straight, return to center, and make other steering components more vulnerable. It gets even worse when installing Mopar lift as they give almost 3", and some forum members reported their casters after lift was in the lower 3.

For stock Rubicon, one cheap fix is to use Mopar 2" lift's LCA since they are slightly longer. It is perfect since too much caster can also cause steering issues. Mopar 2" lift LCAs are about $60 for a pair. This is much cheaper than even a caster bolt or correction bracket. Best of all, the old and new LCA look the same so warranty is preserved with even the pickiest dealer.

For lifted Rubicon, an adjustable LCA (Teraflex, etc.) should be used to correct caster.

TheCanadianJeeper

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2019
Both my local dealer and Mymoparparts (TX) has it, I think Allmoparparts (forum vendor here) can throw in a free shipping (Code: fs2020). They will say this part do not fit your VIN (because it is part of the lift kit), but you can just go ahead tell them if it won't fit it will be on you.

Part number: 6512085AA (apparently you need two)

If you are also superstitious about reusing bolts and nuts, you can also buy
6512085AA
6104720AA
You need four sets of these. But realistically the old bolts and nuts will be just fine, they are class 10.9 which is equivalent to grade 8.
Thanks again, about to pull the trigger on the true 2 in from Dynatrac, thinking about going with an adjustable LCA.

Sponsored

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks again, about to pull the trigger on the true 2 in from Dynatrac, thinking about going with an adjustable LCA.
I would strongly suggest Teraflex Alpine lower control arm.

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks again, even teraflex like your comment
I know they make quality products, not like some shitty business rush out their things even shittier than OEM. (I am looking at you Skyjacker)

TheCanadianJeeper

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2019
You seem like you know your stuff, what would you do, I have a jlur 2019, already upgraded tires for KO2 35, I don’t want to go with mopar lift as it’s to high for my liking, don’t want my Jeep to look like a skateboard.. so I got 2 options Dynatrac 2 in with lower adjustable lca or 2in spacer with teraflex shock and lca, spacer could be replace when a true 2 in coil in the future .What do you think? Thanks

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I lifted my JLUR using rancho 2 inch springs, got a bit more lift but it was wandering a bit too much for my taste so I swapped in these same LCA's and now it drives better than it did stock. This is a great budget fix. Definitely tides me over until I do a full suspension swap later this year.

Sponsored

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You seem like you know your stuff, what would you do, I have a jlur 2019, already upgraded tires for KO2 35, I don’t want to go with mopar lift as it’s to high for my liking, don’t want my Jeep to look like a skateboard.. so I got 2 options Dynatrac 2 in with lower adjustable lca or 2in spacer with teraflex shock and lca, spacer could be replace when a true 2 in coil in the future .What do you think? Thanks
I think with 2" lift (which btw dynatrac is an excellent choice), you should go with a Teraflex correction bracket, it corrects both LCA and UCA and will result a much better handling.

I actually think true 2" lift is the sweet spot, anything beyond that needs more correction both front and rear. I saw too many high lifted Jeep with geometry messed up in the center, in the axle, in the caster....

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I used some of their products and the quality is good.

I used some other brands and totally shit.

Don't go cheap on suspension and steering, you already spent $50k, you do not want to drive a shopping cart on the road.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Waste of money for 1/4” save a few more pennies and buy adjustable so they can grow with your Jeep.

What were you alignment results before and after?

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
The Mopar LCA"s @ $32 and change per arm... Is a GREAT option for any stock Jeep. Sport to Rubicon. If you know your not going to lift your Jeep, and you want more caster... Cheap cheap cheap.
Sponsored