Sponsored

2.0 Engine Skid Plates

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red
I haven't installed my ASFIR engine skid yet. The install directions, if you can call them that, say to remove one of the cross members before installation. Is that cross member replaced at some point?
Did you install yet?I just ordered mine.If you did install can you take a pick of the crossmember you need to remove?

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
I'm glad I found this thread. I've been having trouble finding a good solution. I have a long arm kit installed, and I don't think the full skid systems will work with the new control arm locations. This should protect the area that I'm most concerned about.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Anyone who ordered from Asfir - how long was delivery? I got a notice 9 days ago for shipping with an Israel tracking number. Last status 7 days ago is "The EMS item was sent to The United States." I don't see a way to continue tracking. I was figuring on 2-3 weeks but wanted to see what others have experienced.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Anyone who ordered from Asfir - how long was delivery? I got a notice 9 days ago for shipping with an Israel tracking number. Last status 7 days ago is "The EMS item was sent to The United States." I don't see a way to continue tracking. I was figuring on 2-3 weeks but wanted to see what others have experienced.
Try putting in your tracking number in Google. It's likely that your package was transferred to USPS.

It's possible for customs to hold it up also. I've been waiting for a throttle position sensor for over two months now (from the Netherlands) for another vehicle. It's stuck in "ISC New York".

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try putting in your tracking number in Google. It's likely that your package was transferred to USPS.

It's possible for customs to hold it up also. I've been waiting for a throttle position sensor for over two months now (from the Netherlands) for another vehicle. It's stuck in "ISC New York".
Good call. It does show up for USPS but the status isn't any different. I signed up for alerts so hopefully I'll at least see some movement soon. Thanks for the tip.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
My order took 2 weeks. The package arrived beat to hell and one of the pieces had fallen out. I contacted the company and they sent the missing piece in 2-3 days. Their customer service was awesome to work with.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My order took 2 weeks. The package arrived beat to hell and one of the pieces had fallen out. I contacted the company and they sent the missing piece in 2-3 days. Their customer service was awesome to work with.
Good to know! They were very quick with status updates on the order. I didn't even expect that.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
I'm glad I found this thread. I've been having trouble finding a good solution. I have a long arm kit installed, and I don't think the full skid systems will work with the new control arm locations. This should protect the area that I'm most concerned about.
This is a great minimalist option. Protect the important areas without adding a ton of weight.

I may be wrong but it seems like this setup would be easy to sell given the price point if you decide to upgrade later on

Sponsored

jt48324

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Rock Hard Aluminum bumper, Warn 10k, ASFIR aluminum skids, Westin rock rails, 35" Wild Peak A/T
I just installed the ASFIR engine and transfer case skids. It wasn't too bad, but they only give you a drawing, not instructions. A few simple tips would make it much easier.

The transfer case is a piece of cake. Pretty self explanatory.

The engine skid you should do the following:
1. remove the front cross brace, save the bolts. You use one of them to mount the rear of the engine skid.
2. Install the 2 front brackets. Leave a little play in them.
3. To install the front driver side bracket, bend the extension arm on the bolt holder they provide which goes inside the frame. The bend allows you to align it to match the angle of the bolt coming through the bracket into the frame.
4. Install the skid plate starting with the two rear bolts. (I rested it on a cardboard box to support it near the final position.
5. Attach the front 2 brackets to the skid.
6. Tighten all bolts.

For the weight and price these seem great. I tow behind a motorhome so I didn't want to add 200 pounds for a full skid system. These two pieces protect the most vulnerable parts.

Yellowssm

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just installed the ASFIR engine and transfer case skids. It wasn't too bad, but they only give you a drawing, not instructions. A few simple tips would make it much easier.

1. remove the front cross brace, save the bolts. You use one of them to mount the rear of the engine skid.
3. To install the front driver side bracket, bend the extension arm on the bolt holder they provide which goes inside the frame. The bend allows you to align it to match the angle of the bolt coming through the bracket into the frame.
4. Install the skid plate starting with the two rear bolts. (I rested it on a cardboard box to support it near the final position.
6. Tighten all bolts.

For the weight and price these seem great. I tow behind a motorhome so I didn't want to add 200 pounds for a full skid system. These two pieces protect the most vulnerable parts.
What was the price of each skid shipped to you?

jt48324

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Rock Hard Aluminum bumper, Warn 10k, ASFIR aluminum skids, Westin rock rails, 35" Wild Peak A/T
They are still on sale. Engine is $212 + 68 shipping for $280. The transfer case is $102 + 24 shipping = 126. Total for both delivered is $406. Their communication was very good. Took about 3 weeks, as they were held up in Europe for over a week because of covid transportation delays. Fewer planes coming to the states.

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
Asfir now makes a steering rod skid plate that replaces the optional mopar steel bumper skid that only gives protection to the electronic sway bar disconnect. Part # is 547499 and a link to it on the Asfir website is below. They also have another steering rod skid for those with the standard bumper with plastic splash guard. Cost is very reasonable, and it seems to afford considerably more protection. BTW, their sale prices are still effective for all products.

http://www.asfir.com/Jeep-Wrangler JL/547449

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

6. Tighten all bolts.

Good tips. Finally received mine yesterday. Took 2 1/2 weeks. Got stuck in customs for a while.

Only remotely difficult part of the install was the driver side front bracket. Your tip about bending the arm on the flag nut was key.

Very impressed with the quality. Hard to beat the price.
Sponsored