Why No Chains?

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
All I can say is don't sign. They cannot force you to sign a ridiculous disclaimer. These kind of tactics and last minute BS the finance office does is deplorable.
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I pay good money in gas taxes for road repairs so I run these. My safety is more important than a little broken asphalt.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why No Chains? 658DF670-1831-4CAD-9F5A-E1E19EAD9BD7

BTW cables are not approved in some cases when the road conditions are severe enough.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Like Joe, I've been a Montana resident all of my 67 years. Pizza cutters with v-bars are the only way to get around on occasion. No not on the highway. Chains suck there. Speeds below 20 mph only unless you hate your vehicle. I mounted mine on my plow truck when it was still warm and sunny. Deflate the tire, mount chains, inflate tire. Go on easy and stay tight. The exception is if you get into a bunch of Eastern Montana gumbo, you need to put chains on loose so they can beat the mud off before it becomes so packed in that you can't turn. Yes on occasion the chains break and beat the shit out of you vehicle. It's either that or stay home. Or become a snowbird like me and play in the Arizona desert all winter.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I direct you to page 418 of the 2021 JL user manual, that talks about "snow traction devices"

SAE "S Class" is a classification for measuring clearance of tire chains (and other "snow traction devices.") At the "S Class" level, there's enough room that some actual literal tire chains meet this clearance classification. As you see in column 3, it is recommended for use only on Sport with the 245/75R17 Tire. For all other configurations and tire sizes, the Owners Manual is recommending against tire chains, and instead the use of "Autosock."

"Autosock" meets the California requirement for "tire chains" when installed whenever chains are required.

Based on these facts, you were given a disclosure telling not to use actual literal tire chains, and instead use the "snow traction devices" recommended in the owners manual.

Despite all the other nonsense in this thread, there's nothing in CA vehicle code preventing the use of actual literal tire chains, and I saw more of them than I can count on the road just this evening. All of which had to drive through a Caltrans inspection checkpoint.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why No Chains? 658DF670-1831-4CAD-9F5A-E1E19EAD9BD7
Yes, I am very familiar with this but was just confused/surprised/amused by the state's disclaimer, when in fact chains are actually permitted as an S-class device in the manual. This is why it appeared to be a "CA thing," and not a "Jeep thing," at least for my 2-door Sport. Not an issue for me now anyway, as I recently moved to NV, where it is snowing heavily at the moment...and no chain disclaimer!

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
It's hilarious that they suggest autosocks due to clearance issues on a wrangler. What a joke. Didn't have any issues putting chains on my ford focus. :) When my buddy and I used to drive a 2wd toyota P/U to go skiing we would try to stop at the chain control and get our chains on before anyone else pulled out of line. We could easily do it in less than three minutes.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It's hilarious that they suggest autosocks due to clearance issues on a wrangler.
They probably have to rate for all suspension scenarios. The tire can get somewhat close to the fender liners on a stock Rubicon under extreme flex, and I can see how there wouldn't be much room for chains.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
If I need chains on a 4wd jeep with decent snow tires then it's really icy and I'd rather have studded tires. While you're supposed to have them I've never needed to put on chains when driving a 4wd vehicle on snow covered roads. Hell when I was in my teens I'd put the truck in 2wd and go drive the unplowed roads for fun.
Studs can't be beat on ice. We used to ice race in MT. I always have a set of 4 studded tire. But studs don't do any good in deep snow. Having done over 100 deep snow recoveries, fully aired up skinny tires + chains is the ultimate in deep snow.

Don't get stuck with 4 chains unless you can winch up or have a snow plow to pull you out.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Like Joe, I've been a Montana resident all of my 67 years. Pizza cutters with v-bars are the only way to get around on occasion. No not on the highway. Chains suck there. Speeds below 20 mph only unless you hate your vehicle. I mounted mine on my plow truck when it was still warm and sunny. Deflate the tire, mount chains, inflate tire. Go on easy and stay tight. The exception is if you get into a bunch of Eastern Montana gumbo, you need to put chains on loose so they can beat the mud off before it becomes so packed in that you can't turn. Yes on occasion the chains break and beat the shit out of you vehicle. It's either that or stay home. Or become a snowbird like me and play in the Arizona desert all winter.
I like to drive slowly 100 yard and check/tighten up the chains. Rinse, repeat.

We're the only ones on the internet that know Pizza cutters with v-bars have a huge advantage in snow. The expert football consensus on going for it on 4th down until recently has been never, just punt. Airing down has such a huge advantage in sand, rock, etc, naturally it leads to the air down is good in snow, chains bad myth. The air down in snow myth is universal on the internet. The football experts all changed their mind, I doubt the snow crowd will.

PBosch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon XR
I just looked around at the clearance for chains on the rear tires of my 2021 JLUR XR with the factory 35"s KO2s, and they appear to have tons of room all around. Is there something I'm missing? I haven't looked at the fronts yet and understand that may be a different story. At the only point there could possibly be a question was where a suspension arm was about 2" inboard of the tire. I've never used chains before so zero background. I would certainly think some Peerless Super Z8's (at a claimed 5/16") would work no problem. I'm probably missing something obvious. Can somebody school me on what I'm missing.

Sponsored

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, 4xe
I just looked around at the clearance for chains on the rear tires of my 2021 JLUR XR with the factory 35"s KO2s, and they appear to have tons of room all around. Is there something I'm missing? I haven't looked at the fronts yet and understand that may be a different story. At the only point there could possibly be a question was where a suspension arm was about 2" inboard of the tire. I've never used chains before so zero background. I would certainly think some Peerless Super Z8's (at a claimed 5/16") would work no problem. I'm probably missing something obvious. Can somebody school me on what I'm missing.
Just sit tight. Someone from California will be along shortly to tell you everything you need to do differently.

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Following up here, have you used the Autosocks? Curious to here your experience
No, I purchased them and had them in my vehicle but didn't need to use them. Driving in 4H was good enough as I made my way through multiple snowstorms. Did see some other vehicles on the road use them, including a semi!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Were you flexed? I assume manufacturers have to rate it for every suspension condition. The JL can get it's tires pretty close to the fender liners, which is normally a plus... but not in this case.

Just sit tight. Someone from California will be along shortly to tell you everything you need to do differently.
Or there's something perfectly reasonable and we can stop trying to make fucking tire chains political.