Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
My traction aids are soft plastic pads with studs imbedded in them. They strap around the wheels, 3 to a tire.
Sounds like the perfect chains for your needs, fast on, fast off. Can you put more than 3 per tire? Can you provide a link?

In both my JK and JL, I’ve never felt the need for chains. And I’ve had snow over the axles on both on roads, and up to the bumper on trail. J
Agreed, I never needed them on public roads in Montana, it's once you start off-roading, climbing, etc.

I'm guessing Michigan, like Montana, has dry snow. With dry snow you can sometimes push snow over the bumper. But chains give you 10x the traction in deep snow, letting you push more snow. If the snow is wet, forget it, even with chains you can't push any snow. Having had to chain up several hundred times, I have had the need for all 4 chains.

A frequent debate when you only need one pair, front or back? I've probably chained up one axle a hundred times too. You don't always need 2 pair.
Sponsored

musicforme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X v6, Auto, Step-Assist Rock Rails
Bumping a thread from 2021.

Did a Google search looking for snow chains on a Rubicon X and this was one of the top hits. Any thoughts on chains for a Rubicon X with the 35" tires? In Mid-January there is a likely hood I may need chains to get my kids to and from church camp at 7,000 ft elevation. The road starts off as asphalt and the further up you go it turns into a dirt road with a significant drop off on one side. The camp tries to keep it plowed but they had a hard time keeping up with the amount of snowfall this past January.

Attached is a photo I took in January 2023 when picking up the kids from that same camp.

tempImageMeIQ7D.png

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Bumping a thread from 2021.

Did a Google search looking for snow chains on a Rubicon X and this was one of the top hits. Any thoughts on chains for a Rubicon X with the 35" tires? In Mid-January there is a likely hood I may need chains to get my kids to and from church camp at 7,000 ft elevation. The road starts off as asphalt and the further up you go it turns into a dirt road with a significant drop off on one side. The camp tries to keep it plowed but they had a hard time keeping up with the amount of snowfall this past January.

Attached is a photo I took in January 2023 when picking up the kids from that same camp.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains tempImageMeIQ7D
I bet your kids have a blast at Winter Blizzard Church Camp
Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains IMG_5432

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
In Mid-January there is a likely hood I may need chains to get my kids to and from church camp at 7,000 ft elevation. The road starts off as asphalt and the further up you go it turns into a dirt road with a significant drop off on one side. The camp tries to keep it plowed but they had a hard time keeping up with the amount of snowfall this past January.
Honestly, if your Jeep 4x4 needs chains, that camp is going to close. Think about it. They have staffers, and parents, driving in and out. The food supply truck drives in at least once a week.

Ordinary cars may need chains. But a Jeep with M+S tires, or especially 3PMSF (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake) isn't going to have any trouble. Just take it slow.

Tire chains for oversized tires, 35" and up, aren't typically available at typical auto parts stores. You have to order them off of outfitters like "tirechainsonline.com" that sell chains for trucks and heavy equipment.

But again, you won't need 'em for that road you showed us in the photo.

EDIT -- PS: Last January was an epic unusual winter for the record books, especially a couple of those storms. I'm not surprised they had trouble keeping the road open.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Stay on top snow
Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains 83101CAE-8E3B-470C-BC6D-1EAC26CC01A7
or dig through snow
Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains 282D962C-20D9-4447-B56B-4C3AD4DF6D1D
these do work but are tough on wheel lugs ….. don’t know about the flotation type.😊

Sponsored

musicforme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X v6, Auto, Step-Assist Rock Rails
Honestly, if your Jeep 4x4 needs chains, that camp is going to close. Think about it. They have staffers, and parents, driving in and out. The food supply truck drives in at least once a week.

Ordinary cars may need chains. But a Jeep with M+S tires, or especially 3PMSF (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake) isn't going to have any trouble. Just take it slow.

Tire chains for oversized tires, 35" and up, aren't typically available at typical auto parts stores. You have to order them off of outfitters like "tirechainsonline.com" that sell chains for trucks and heavy equipment.

But again, you won't need 'em for that road you showed us in the photo.

EDIT -- PS: Last January was an epic unusual winter for the record books, especially a couple of those storms. I'm not surprised they had trouble keeping the road open.
Thanks for the detailed response, this helps a lot.

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Depends on the mud tire. My JK had pizza cutter BFG KM’s and did excellent in snow. I’m currently running snow/ ice rated KO2’s, which do well in snow. That said, I do carry traction aids, but for one specific purpose. The final stretch of trail to my cabin on my property is abnormally steep. After ice storms, or during a melt/ freeze, it’s nearly impassable until a fresh blanket of snow comes down. My traction aids are soft plastic pads with studs imbedded in them. They strap around the wheels, 3 to a tire. That stretch of steep icy trail is the only place I have ever used, or felt the need to use them. They’re strictly for crawling though. The instructions say 20 mph max, but I wouldn’t trust them much beyond jogging pace.

In both my JK and JL, I’ve never felt the need for chains. And I’ve had snow over the axles on both on roads, and up to the bumper on trail. Just run 4x4, and take it slow. If you feel the rear end begin to step out, the stability control usually catches it before I need to intervene. Just remember that if your fronts lock, you’ll loose steering. Many times in many vehicles I’ve had to let off the brakes and just let the vehicle roll down that hill to regain directional control. Sometimes pumping just the e-brake like you’d do on a snow machine (rapid firm pumps) to get the rear to follow the front (at jogging pace).
Same, the JL rubi with stock tires is fine for all snow to a depth you cant move anyway. If so, winch time. That said, I do have a set of four, and the traction planks, and shovel, so I am more than ready

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
You want to keep moving - carry and use chains
Snow tires - nope
Studs - nope
Chains - you will have a better chance to move
Most times chains and a full length shovel are just enough

Chains not properly hooked up in the vid - but you get the gist
Those on here that post bs the Rubicon is sh*t in snow and ice
Simply have no clue and are complete buffoons
Haha!

LostNotStuck-Yet

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLR 2Dr
If it’s not too far up the road to camp, for the occasional use you’re describing snow socks are a great solution.
They have excellent traction, are easy to install, store in very little space, and aren’t too expensive. I wouldn’t want to drive 50 miles in them and wouldn’t use them in snowless conditions but they’d work well for 10-20 low speed miles.
Here's a decent review:
Sponsored