Sponsored

Any recommendations for snow chains for a JLU Rubicon

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Fair enough but no one ever checked and honestly when youre sitting on 37’s and above aired down snow chains offer only marginal advantage if any...
I get that it may not be huge advantage, but chains will always perform better than snow tires, but either way they check frequently at least around here so we don't have much of a choice but to carry them whether we use them or not
Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I need to get a new set of snow chains for my JLU Rubicon and wanted to see if anyone had recommendations.

I spend a lot of time in the Tahoe area, Yosemite and Lassen during the winter and use Peerless Auto-Trac chains on my 2003 Rubicon. I know when I purchased those chains they were recommended due to clearance issues so I thought I would ask for recommendations before I purchased another set.

I know I have 4wd and in most cases that's more then enough but I almost died in a blizzard a few years back and prefer to be a bit over cautious now.

Any help would be appreciated!
Just wanted to circle back on this issue. Did you end up getting the Peerless chains you mention, and do they fit your Rubicon? According to the owners manual, the stock tires on the Rubicon are not chainable, presumably for clearance reasons, but that may also just be a liability matter and certain chains will work if needed...?

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Snow chains? Are you guys serious? Lived in CO for 2 years and never used them. Good set of mud tires and a winch is fine.
Generally, mud tires underperform all-terrain and (obviously) snow tires. Since snow traction is predicated on keeping snow in the tire treads, not ejecting it, tires with big, open threads will not perform well.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Snow chains? Are you guys serious? Lived in CO for 2 years and never used them. Good set of mud tires and a winch is fine.
Well, to avoid needing a winch and to adhere to road restrictions, snow chains/cables are needed.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
In California there have been several instances in the last few years at ski resorts that I frequent where chains were required even on 4x4 vehicles with snow tires due to the conditions. Also they frequently have checkpoints as you are required to carry chains even if you dont need to put them on. You get turned away if you don't have chains in the vehicle.

@James_a I found these are pretty easy to put on and a good backup to just keep in the back of the Jeep, they work fine https://www.amazon.com/Security-Cha...F8&qid=1545150549&sr=8-3&keywords=snow+cables
Looks like that link doesn't have the appropriate size, per their size guide. 2018 JL Rubis need the SZ462.

Sponsored

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Now that it's winter, I'd like to resurrect this thread. I am traveling from Utah to Oregon for Christmas and would like to have a set of chains with me as conditions are already icy here in Utah. Has anyone gone further down the road and purchased chains? If so, how do the SZ462's fit? I will be putting them on a 2018 JL Rubi with the stock 285/70-17's.
Thanks!

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I have never put chains on a newer Jeep and now that i'm in Arizona in the winter, I hope to never see snow/ice again. But I've put chains on and off probably 100s of times on various 2 and 4 wheel drives. If you plan to carry a set to comply with the law or use on the highway, buy a set of cable chains. If you plan to use chains off road get a set of v-bar chains. I'd go as far as possible without chains then chain up one axle. The front is way easier on most 4wd. Then I'd run that set until I got stuck and then chain up the other axle to get out. Get at least two bungie style chain tighteners per wheel and a few quick links. If you hear a loud knock, you broke a link and will beat the hell out of your Jeep is you don't stop and fix it.

Cheaplabor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR 2.0. 2016 willy's
We use trygg brand carbide tipped chains at work all the time, we usually use 3/8" on the heavy trucks but I have cut and refit several sets of the lighter duty 5/16" ones on our light trucks as well as made a few sets for atv's for some buddys, they work great. The carbide corks are a little extreme for highway use on a light vehicle but no V bar, square link, or crisscross will give you that kind of grip. Most any truck or custom crane rigging shop can modify a set easily if you can't do it Beware if using them...keep them tight as you can get, watch your speed centrifugal force will make them grow...a lot. They like to stand up and grab fenders, bumpers, steering boxes, tie rod ends, and brake lines. Carabiners work good to hold the tail ends, bungees look like they keep them tight but really don't if you're going fast. Be careful out there.

IMG_20191206_1556538.jpg

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I get that it may not be huge advantage, but chains will always perform better than snow tires, but either way they check frequently at least around here so we don't have much of a choice but to carry them whether we use them or not
I'll agree if you are referring to off road performance. On road I want to say no way, but it really would depend on a bunch of variables. Type of rig, type of tire, depth of snow and even the type or consistency of the snow.

I run winter tires and carry chains. If I was forced to choose only one I would take the winter tires every time.

Sponsored

Brandon WL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler
I measured the clearances on my inner rear tires. The smallest amount of clearance I have is about 1.2 inches to the lower control arms. I am thinking about getting those peerless autotracs which are class "S" chains but could I get away with a more aggressive chain?

4x4snowmachinejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 4xe White
Occupation
Travel Industry
I run a set of 4 Goodyear Duratrac severe snow winter and then the dealership can add studs, the best for high speed winter driving on ice! period!
The studs are on the 2 outside tracks only the center stays non stud.
Sponsored