Which powertrain would you get?

Which engine would you order?

• Total voters

Pismo61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
From what I've seen, you're supposed to get up every morning and start your diesel. Let it run all day. Go to the filling station: let it idle while you fill it. Go to the grocery: let it idle while you're inside. Parts store, lunch stop, hair cut, etc.... just let it run!
That is what the mechanic told us what to try to do with our fire engines when safe to do so.We would make alot of short fast trips.Also we had to manually regen all the time.It took the rig out of service for 20-30 minutes.

MandrewSD

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392
That is what the mechanic told us what to try to do with our fire engines when safe to do so.We would make alot of short fast trips.Also we had to manually regen all the time.It took the rig out of service for 20-30 minutes.
If there is a vehicle that should be exempt from the "modern" diesel regens and limp modes....it is a fire engine. Next time an EPA employee's house is on fire, let it burn...."sorry we had to regen"

Last edited:

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
8 Jeeps in the 10 years since they introduced it in the JK, how could you possibly have issues when you replace it every year? Sounds like the only issue is it's so boring you keep swapping it out? If you only keep vehicles while under warranty, why would longevity even enter the conversation? Every jeep I've ever owned made it well past 100k, and many well past 200k regardless of power train.
You are inferring that the 3.6 Pentastar is not a time tested/proven engine because one person, me, swaps out often. The fact that I buy a new jeep every year doesn't correlate to it being time tested by millions of drivers.

The fact is, I have had 8 of them in recent years and none had issues while had them. The same can't be said for many of the other engine choices.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You are inferring that the 3.6 Pentastar is not a time tested/proven engine because one person, me, swaps out often. The fact that I buy a new jeep every year doesn't correlate to it being time tested by millions of drivers.

The fact is, I have had 8 of them in recent years and none had issues while had them. The same can't be said for many of the other engine choices.
Even the least reliable vehicles Iā€™ve ever owned, an 06 super duty and a 2013 Ford Focus didnā€™t have problems within the 1st year. Problems in the first year are exceedingly rare despite what the forums might have you think. Obviously more people have put more miles on the older engine that is used across more platforms, but that doesnā€™t make it more reliable. Most of the 2.0t owners like myself havenā€™t had a problem with that little engine for 40k miles or more. The 3.6L being reliable does nothing to prove or disprove the other engine choices reliability. It seems that quite a few diesel owners have had problems, but I havenā€™t seen much questioning the reliability of the 2.0t aside from those with no experience that are convinced that the little engine that outperforms the 3.6 canā€™t last. It seems to be proving otherwise in a lot of peopleā€™s experience including mine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt Stellantis is going to pour any more money into developing brand new engines from scratch.

My bet is the company is dedicating its resources to hybridize and electrify existing engines.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I'm going with a "Striper", ordering a 2022 Willys Sport with the only option being A/C. It not a money thing, but it will be my "Toy" and I plan the keep it for many years. I want the standard V6 and trans and not wanting all the electronic upgrades that will most likely over time need attention just because it is what it is.
I wanted the same thing! Except with three kids, I was concerned about manual windows and door locks and not having control on the highway in case a kid decided to unlock and step out! lol So I got the 23W package and soft top with the manual trans.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Either the 392 or wait for the mythical GME-T6.
They may get Turbo for the 6 but that would be to replace the Hemi's on top-end trim. My guess is that the 2.0T 4 banger will be the standard engine for the next-gen. And there will be a mild hybrid and plug-in hybrid and a full EV. Also, I'm betting Jeep is working on a stick shift for the 2.0T engine to go against the Bronco 2.3T with a stick!

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Battery is good for 10 years....

Screenshot_20211026-093220_DuckDuckGo.jpg
yes, this is technically true but God help the owner who has done anything aftermarket to their jeep or changed their own oil or messed in any way with the wiring system!!!! These 10 years deals are PR mostly IMHO....

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Even the least reliable vehicles Iā€™ve ever owned, an 06 super duty and a 2013 Ford Focus didnā€™t have problems within the 1st year. Problems in the first year are exceedingly rare despite what the forums might have you think. Obviously more people have put more miles on the older engine that is used across more platforms, but that doesnā€™t make it more reliable. Most of the 2.0t owners like myself havenā€™t had a problem with that little engine for 40k miles or more. The 3.6L being reliable does nothing to prove or disprove the other engine choices reliability. It seems that quite a few diesel owners have had problems, but I havenā€™t seen much questioning the reliability of the 2.0t aside from those with no experience that are convinced that the little engine that outperforms the 3.6 canā€™t last. It seems to be proving otherwise in a lot of peopleā€™s experience including mine.
What is the highest mileage 2.0t in the world you think? It's an untested engine. At best, we can compare technology. It's just a fact that the 2.0 will have carbon buildup on valves. With the right maintenance schedule, that can be minimized, and it probably evens out with the 3.6 for overall cost of maintenance as we have to pull the intake every time you look at the engine the wrong way.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
The question was "Which powertrain would you get."

Well, none that are listed.

The best powertrain, IMHO, currently available from the factory is the 3.6 with a manual gearbox.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which powertrain would you get? Save the manuals 4

Three pedals in a Jeep is the only way I role. :D

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
What is the highest mileage 2.0t in the world you think? It's an untested engine. At best, we can compare technology. It's just a fact that the 2.0 will have carbon buildup on valves. With the right maintenance schedule, that can be minimized, and it probably evens out with the 3.6 for overall cost of maintenance as we have to pull the intake every time you look at the engine the wrong way.
We are probably on the wrong forum if we are looking for highest mileage 2.0t. I'd be willing to bet there's a few Cherokee owners pushing 200k already. Those of us who commute 40k+ miles a year aren't rare, but I wouldn't do it in a wrangler. I've seen several post on here that are pushing 100k. I agree that the engine is unproven in a 200k plus scenario in a wrangler for sure, but most wrangler owners will never see that many miles anyway. The OP has a 2018 with ~8k miles on it if I recall, at his use rate it will be 80 years before he puts 200k on a new jeep.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The question was "Which powertrain would you get."

Well, none that are listed.

The best powertrain, IMHO, currently available from the factory is the 3.6 with a manual gearbox.

Save the manuals 4.png

Three pedals in a Jeep is the only way I role. :D
I love shifting as much as the next guy. But that manual has been recalled three times already... šŸ˜«

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I doubt Stellantis is going to pour any more money into developing brand new engines from scratch.

My bet is the company is dedicating its resources to hybridize and electrify existing engines.
FCA was testing the water earlier this year with an owner survey that hinted at the long rumored I-6 turbo engine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which powertrain would you get? 0741E329-64FF-4F91-BC12-F5CA6D73A35A
Sponsored