To Catch a Catch Can

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
(NEVER RETURN COLLECTED OIL BACK INTO THE ENGINE)

The two small screws are gently tightened as they are designed for the customer to be able to remove so they can install the lower portion of the diffuser on the dirty/pcv side of the catch can. Also, the collected contents contains fuel and oil and should not be returned as the fuel that gets into the crankcase during operation will evaporate much faster and you never want to return oil with room temperature gasoline as it can reduce lubrication of the internals during startup and it only takes one time to scar or cause premature wear on bearing surfaces.

So please remember that its never worth it to try and reuse oil from your catch can after it has sat in the can over time. If the vehicle has a system design to recirculate the contents daily and when the engine is at temperature that would be a different story and considerable. Otherwise dump that few ounces of oil collected and just add fresh as the fresh is always better to top off your existing oil with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPR Catch Can, Breather Tank, and Check Valve information

1. UPR Catch Can Maintenance
Check your catch can every 500 miles for the first few oil changes to get
to know your vehicles Oil consumption.
Never return collected oil back into the engine.

2. O-ring Protection / Tightening Catch Can
Do not over tighten your Catch Can as it can stretch or tear the O-ring or
even ruin the threads and seize your catch can shut. Extreme weather
conditions and or handling can also damage O-rings.
Replacements can be purchased at UPRproducts.com

3. Check Valve Operation
Check Valves always face away from the catch can. Once Check Valves
are opened or taken apart this will break the seal and potentially lose parts.

4. Plug n Play™ Fitting Protection > Female Fittings <
To R&R UPR plug and play fittings keep them parallel to the Male fitting to
avoid damaging internal O-rings. Push/Squeeze to remove, depending on
style. Clips are not removable and will need to be replaced if taken apart.
Replacements can be purchased at UPRproducts.com

5. Catch Can Fitting Maintenance > Male Fittings <
You will need to put a rubber hose over the fitting to protect them and grip
them with a pliers. Use Teflon tape when installing to seal threads.
Replacements can be purchased from UPR.

6. Weather conditions
Cold weather maintenance, always drain contents after driving to avoid
freezing overnight. You can pour hot water into the catch can to unfreeze contents

7. Catch Can Contents
Catch Cans are plumbed into the PCV line allowing Catch Can contents to be
smelled through the intake tube/airbox. Always check all connections are secure.
An oil/fuel smell is normal if you don’t empty your catch can daily.

8. Catch Can Flow Direction
The dirty line from PCV goes to the IN fitting. The clean line to the intake goes to
the OUT fitting. The IN is Top Center of all top fitting cans. The OUT is the silver
tip on all side mount cans.
5038 catch cans with Multi-Level diffuser run the lower chamber on PCV side.
You can easily switch the lower chamber of the diffuser to either side by R&R
the two screws and tightening.

9. Catch Can Fittings
All fittings should always have Teflon or thread sealer whenever needed.
Permatex Thread Sealant Recommended

(Call UPR Catch Can technical assistance 561-588-6630 ask for the Catch Can Man)
Joe,
Thank you. I called and spoke to Steve today, he told me if I have a 2020 JL the can won't fit. I need to wait for the updated oil cap, please update us here when it is available. Thank you for all your assistance and guidance.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
If you vent the PCV at any point you completely rob the engine of the benefits of having a closed system that creates vacuum to evacuate the crankcase.
Can you expand on this? What are the benefits of using vacuum to evacuate the crankcase over natural venting?

I understand the environmental aspect of dumping on the ground, just not sure about the benefits form the PCV vs. atmospheric venting.

Random side-note: I have a 1955 small-block Chevy sitting in my garage which came with a 'road draft' tube.

joe@upr

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
The Vacuum sucks the positive pressure from the crankcase as it draws in new fresh air. Whereas just venting to atmosphere only pushes out the hot air of the crankcase as its produced and has zero suction or any way to pull fresh air into the crankcase to cool and maintain lower temps.

Vacuum increases ring seal and causes a suction allowing the pistons to perform the the downstroke without having to work to PUSH air out of the crankcase. That's the primary reason they make evacuation pumps to increase performance on motors that would otherwise be vent to atmosphere and have to fight to perform during normal operation.

As manufacturers learned how much the vacuum increased performance and efficiency they keep trying to improve the vacuum source. No one ever expected the stronger vacuum source to create such a problem with oil consumption.

As far as the draft tube you need to install them right after merge on each collector to be most effective. Make sure to run at least 1" hoses from the valve covers to the connection at the collectors.

Hope that helped

Joe

Last edited:

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Just a reminder for forum members you get 10% off UPR Catch Cans using code ( jlwranglerforums )
Any word on when the catch can for the 2020 will be available?

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just a reminder for forum members you get 10% off UPR Catch Cans using code ( jlwranglerforums )
Aw man. Literally just ordered mine last week and received Thursday. I should have looked for a code.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Quite a bit of oil that was trapped before being reintroduced back into the manifold to be burned.

How long was the OCI based on time? How many miles on your 3.6L?

lsufan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I was curious how many purchased the one way breather with the catch can. If you did is it like a K&N filter that can be cleaned?

joe@upr

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Any word on when the catch can for the 2020 will be available?
The UPR Catch Can is the same for all the 3.6L and it's the UPR Billet One Way Valve Cover Breather that is different. It's in production for the 19-20 models as I'm writing this.

Joe

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Are the 19, 20 models that different? I thought we had the same 3.6. Did they make some minor changes to the engines for 19 and 20?

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
The UPR Catch Can is the same for all the 3.6L and it's the UPR Billet One Way Valve Cover Breather that is different. It's in production for the 19-20 models as I'm writing this.

Joe
Thank you, so once the breather is available, I will place my order.
Sponsored