Sponsored

To Catch a Catch Can

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
A little first hand experience here. I’ve had my catch-can on since about 800 miles on the motor and it now has 11,500. It catches pretty much the same volume as what others are reporting on this thread. But, the intake is still getting some oil in it. How do I know this? Well, take off the hose that leads from the catch-can and there is a bit of oil residue in it. Even better, I had my intake off for coil pack install and there was a small amount of oil in the runners. So, the catch-can doesn’t stop all oil from entering the motor. It really can’t, the ultra fine droplets will still pass through the can and accumulate downstream. Am I going to take off my can, nope. It collects a fair amount of oil and this oil would be puddling somewhere else in the intake vs inside the can. Just my experience.
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
A little first hand experience here. I’ve had my catch-can on since about 800 miles on the motor and it now has 11,500. It catches pretty much the same volume as what others are reporting on this thread. But, the intake is still getting some oil in it. How do I know this? Well, take off the hose that leads from the catch-can and there is a bit of oil residue in it. Even better, I had my intake off for coil pack install and there was a small amount of oil in the runners. So, the catch-can doesn’t stop all oil from entering the motor. It really can’t, the ultra fine droplets will still pass through the can and accumulate downstream. Am I going to take off my can, nope. It collects a fair amount of oil and this oil would be puddling somewhere else in the intake vs inside the can. Just my experience.
Who's catch can are you using? just curious.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Who's catch can are you using? just curious.
Mishimoto. I've used catch-cans from a few manufacturers over the years and they all let a little oil vapor into the intake, which is why I'm not concerned. I wheel mine at some extreme angles and it has never smoked, one of the main reasons I went with Mishimoto. The lines on my setup are way longer and can handle sloshing of oil a little better, in my opinion. All properly designed catch cans are a benefit due to the decreased ingestion of oil vapor.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mishimoto. I've used catch-cans from a few manufacturers over the years and they all let a little oil vapor into the intake, which is why I'm not concerned. I wheel mine at some extreme angles and it has never smoked, one of the main reasons I went with Mishimoto. The lines on my setup are way longer and can handle sloshing of oil a little better, in my opinion. All properly designed catch cans are a benefit due to the decreased ingestion of oil vapor.
I was just curious. I did the UPR because I like the location a little better but debated the Mishimoto. I was skeptic of catch cans until I installed one and did some research on direct/port injection, carbon buildup, cleaning fuel systems... etc.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have direction injection like the 2.0T, I don't know why you wouldn't run Top Tier gas, add a catch can, and regularly run an additional fuel system detergent. I just realized not all gas is Top Tier rated. I guess I assumed all gas came from the same place.

Sponsored

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Off topic, @zjwest how do you like that statin black grill?

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just an update... I’ve had my UPR catch can installed for about 3000 miles.

I continue to see my gas mileage increase with no other changes to Jeep or driving style. I have a pretty routine week of around town driving and some small interstate travel. Before install I was consistently averaging 17 mpg. After install, MPG has slowly gone up. I’m currently averaging 19 MPG on about 3 full tanks of full, so about 1000 miles. Obviously not a scientific comparison but noticeable. Fuel mileage has actually been closer to the first 5000 miles I owned the JL.

Other notable item... I did have my catch can un-screw from vibration last week and come off while driving. Thankfully it didn’t fall out completely or damage anything or even spill. It was a little scary though. Engine went into limp mode and threw 3 engine codes that I had to clear.

joe@upr

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Send me a few pictures of your catch can base so I can see the o-ring as I've never heard of the bottom unscrewing. Let me know how the interference is between the catch can bottom and the o-ring as they are designed not to come loose unless they were not tightened all the way? PM me all the info and your address info and we'll get you out a few o-rings right away. Be sure when you install the bottom to always snug it tight and never overtighten it or crank it as it will then be very hard to open.

Thank you for the report back as we always love to hear thee feedback as most people are skeptics and don't understand the TRUE benefits of a catch can.

The biggest benefit of a UPR Catch Can:
LSPI = Low-Speed Pre-ignition events are the first and most important thing a properly designed catch can eliminates. LSPI is effected by oil ingestion as it is the number one cause of premature engine and ring wear. This causes infrequent high-pressure spikes, mild or almost inaudible knocking noises, and results in ring damage over time which leads to blowby.

Have a great weekend, Joe

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Send me a few pictures of your catch can base so I can see the o-ring as I've never heard of the bottom unscrewing. Let me know how the interference is between the catch can bottom and the o-ring as they are designed not to come loose unless they were not tightened all the way? PM me all the info and your address info and we'll get you out a few o-rings right away. Be sure when you install the bottom to always snug it tight and never overtighten it or crank it as it will then be very hard to open.

Thank you for the report back as we always love to hear thee feedback as most people are skeptics and don't understand the TRUE benefits of a catch can.

The biggest benefit of a UPR Catch Can:
LSPI = Low-Speed Pre-ignition events are the first and most important thing a properly designed catch can eliminates. LSPI is effected by oil ingestion as it is the number one cause of premature engine and ring wear. This causes infrequent high-pressure spikes, mild or almost inaudible knocking noises, and results in ring damage over time which leads to blowby.

Have a great weekend, Joe
This is why I purchased the UPR. Customer service. Thanks Joe. I’ll send you a PM.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I’m seeing the customer service too and it’s pushing me into buying one of these. Sounds like it’s good for the motor and nothing bad really.

It can’t hurt/void a vehicle warranty right?

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
I’m seeing the customer service too and it’s pushing me into buying one of these. Sounds like it’s good for the motor and nothing bad really.

It can’t hurt/void a vehicle warranty right?
That was my concern as well. I can’t imagine how it wouldn’t void the warranty. If I am correct, you are routing all of the oil through the can, if it fails and the engine runs dry you are screwed.
I am in my JL because a mom and pop oil change shop didn’t properly install the oil pan plug and totaled my previous vehicle’s engine.
However, I would like to increase the longevity of my new dream Jeep.
I am not a mechanic and don’t pretend to be, hence my trepidation.
Sponsored