First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Are the 19, 20 models that different? I thought we had the same 3.6. Did they make some minor changes to the engines for 19 and 20?
The difference is in the UPR one way breather only. The UPR catch can is exactly the (SAME) for the 18 to Present 3.6L Wrangler and can be purchased and installed right away.
Sponsored

joe@upr

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Thank you, so once the breather is available, I will place my order.
I would install the catch can asap as all you are doing by prolonging the install is allowing the engine to ingest a ton of oil that does effect the overall performance and mpg. I'm not worried about making a sale for financial gain as I have grown our following and enthusiast base with being honest and being able to deliver real benefits.

Our reputation for products that deliver real world benefits is the most important thing to us. Education is the most important thing to share as there are far too many snake oil salesmen out there and we strive to give the customers a fighting chance and eliminating the possibility of poor choices.

Joe

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
I would install the catch can asap as all you are doing by prolonging the install is allowing the engine to ingest a ton of oil that does effect the overall performance and mpg. I'm not worried about making a sale for financial gain as I have grown our following and enthusiast base with being honest and being able to deliver real benefits.

Our reputation for products that deliver real world benefits is the most important thing to us. Education is the most important thing to share as there are far too many snake oil salesmen out there and we strive to give the customers a fighting chance and eliminating the possibility of poor choices.

Joe
Thanks, I will call tomorrow.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a mishimoto catch can and plan to install it this weekend along with some heat wrap around the intake tube/maf sensor. I have a pinging issue and I'm thinking the catch can and heat wrap may help. The emissions maps are probably the cause.. i wonder if there are some good aftermarket tuners for the JL?

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Wanted to give everyone some quick reading and a smile for the day.

What is the real benefit of a Catch Can and is it a sound investment? Think about this for a second before you post anything trying to
argue the point below, please.

Question: Would you add a single injector or line to your intake that contains oil mist/vapor to inject oil while you drive for any reason?

Answer: Absolutely Not, as it will degrade the octane and overall efficiency. Reducing MPG and Engine Efficiency.

Actual reasons vehicles don't come with catch cans from the manufacturer.

1. It adds additional cost to vehicle production. (MONEY)

2. People consider them to be messy and non-functional. (TURN-OFF)

3 People are lazy by nature and a catch can is considered an inconvenience. (TURN-OFF)

4. The Assumption the PCV system is ok because the manufacturer designed it that way. (MISCONCEPTION)

These are just a few as there are too many to list and I just want to get the point across that you can go without a catch can if you choose
at the expense of Reduced MPG, Reduced Performance, and Reduced Throttle Response. When you install a properly designed catch
can that controls oil you will absolutely experience all the benefits I mention.

As a manufacturer and I've been asked this thousands of times over the years and most of the smaller catch cans and ebay style catch
cans do not give you much of a real benefit as they let more oil escape than they catch generally. The catch cans that use small bronze
air compressor filters, honeycomb filters, or just a flat screen that run across the chamber minimal oil and are deceptive.

It's the smaller ineffective catch cans that give catch cans a bad name in general. Even many of the Big Name manufacturers use the
style filters and designs that are what does not allow the industry to see the true benefits of properly designed catch cans. Just see what
filter types manufacturers use and you will be able to figure out what are effective and what are ineffective catch can designs.

I'm only sharing this to be clear that catch can are beneficial and give good results over time in both MPG and Overall Performance that
a properly designed catch can returns. The newer the vehicle the stronger the vacuum source to the PCV and this results in better ring
seal, on the negative side it pulls a lot of oil out of the crankcase and that is why catch cans are becoming more desirable.

I fully respect anyone's opinion as it is their opinion. I'm not here to argue or debate back and forth about the reality of what catch cans do.
I just wanted to share information on facts and results we have collected over the last 15yrs of watching the evolution of the PCV system
and tricks manufacturers use to improve MPG and at the same time increase oil ingestion. How can a part that costs the same as a simple
cosmetic mod be a bad investment as it returns the investment for the life of the vehicle?

The biggest indicator is the tune up lasts forever and plugs do not get fouled or oiled up. As with a catch can the plugs perform properly
for many years without any problems. I have to say for performance guys and engine builders this is a great sign ove efficiency.

We're continually improving our products to improve oil control and engine performance as modern day engines evolve.

Joe
Joe, I just installed my UPR catch can on my 3.6 JLUR. The install was super easy and the fit and finish are perfect. It looks like an OE fixture. I preferred the UPR look and mounting location over other brands. Excited to see if the increased efficiency is noticeable.

question for you. I installed the can with 15k miles. I wish I would have installed sooner but what’s the likelihood of any damage or buildup done already? Will the intake clean itself or should I do anything to clean prior residue?

Sponsored

joe@upr

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Joe, I just installed my UPR catch can on my 3.6 JLUR. The install was super easy and the fit and finish are perfect. It looks like an OE fixture. I preferred the UPR look and mounting location over other brands. Excited to see if the increased efficiency is noticeable.

question for you. I installed the can with 15k miles. I wish I would have installed sooner but what’s the likelihood of any damage or buildup done already? Will the intake clean itself or should I do anything to clean prior residue?
Thank you, as we designed it to be the best looking and performing catch can available for the Wangler platform. You're perfectly fine and installing it this early and have nothing to worry about as it hasn't been long enough to go through many heat cycles and cook the oil into the aluminum or cause any detrimental buildup.

You'll be pleased overall and even more so if you ride in a Wrangler without a catch can as the difference in responsiveness and crisp performance is noticeable to many that have driven vehicles with and without.

Joe

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, as we designed it to be the best looking and performing catch can available for the Wangler platform. You're perfectly fine and installing it this early and have nothing to worry about as it hasn't been long enough to go through many heat cycles and cook the oil into the aluminum or cause any detrimental buildup.

You'll be pleased overall and even more so if you ride in a Wrangler without a catch can as the difference in responsiveness and crisp performance is noticeable to many that have driven vehicles with and without.

Joe
The amount of oil collected in the first 100 miles of having this installed is CRAZY to me. Like blows my mind. And my fuel economy has already started going up. Not a ton but 10ths of an MPG. I feel dumb for being skeptic for 15k miles. Should have installed day 1.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to give a bit of feedback since installing my UPR catch can. After about two hundred miles, there is about 1/2 teaspoon collected thus far. Without the can, this is oil that would have been dumped into the intake to be burned leading to carbon buildup over time. I am very happy with the can and wish I would have installed it after driving home from the dealer.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I realize that, but what would it be in 5,000 or 7,500 miles? Ounces of oil at a minimum--just like others have shown. Forget about the catch can for a moment (I am certainly not "pushing them"), but just relating what I have seen thus far.

I would also disagree that oil mist coming in on the intake side of the engine on the intake stroke is a good thing. Burned oil leads to carbon build-up in the chamber, plain and simple.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you saying the engine NEEDS the lubrication from blow by oil? or the engine is NOT HARMED by blow by oil?

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, we both know the top end of the engine is continuously bathed in oil and the valve stem seal has the job of keeping oil out of the cylinders so that is not a relevant point.

To each his or her own, I am only reporting back on my experience this far--feel free to scroll past.

Last edited:

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, we both know the top end of the engine is continuously bathed in oil and the valve stem seal has the job of keeping oil out of the engine so that is not a relevant point.

To each his or her own, I am only reporting back on my experience this far--feel free to scroll past.
I continue to see my fuel mileage tick up with more miles since install. Not tons, but noticable and closer to the number when I brought it home new. No other changes so I can only assume the engine is running more efficiently. Can't be a bad thing.
Sponsored