Sponsored

There is no perfect engine

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I test drove both the 2.0 and 3.6 back to back before I ordered. I really thought I would enjoy the 2.0 more, plus it would save me a few $$ vs the etorque auto. But, like most vehicles (with the exception of proper sport cars) I just can't get over the turbo lag. When I want to go, I want to GO and that 1 sec of lag irritates the hell out of me. It's not just Jeep, it's almost any single turbo really.

That said, I have no regrets with the 3.6. It's the right amount of engine for me!
It's not just single turbo design. My M2, which has proper twin turbos still has lag. It's unavoidable.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Originally Jeep stated that the eTorque provided 90lbs of increased torque from stop on their website in the engine choice section. Now it just states " The legendary Pentastar® V6 engine gets a boost with the addition of eTorque. The mild-hybrid system adds low-end torque for impressive starting power and exceptional rock crawling." The non eTorque does not mention the add on.
If e-torque or whatever is working, you don't see that on the dyno graph. They don't specify whether the 3.6 or 2T have eTorque. It would be interesting to dyno both and see how much it affected torque off idle to 2k rpm.

You should be able to ascertain 90ft lbs immediately off idle.. the graph should also show that, unless the cams/tuning just don't produce power that low.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Jeep Wrangler JL There is no perfect engine 1633467711515

Found this on the JB4 forum, 322 hp and 445ftlbs to the wheels out of the lowly 2.0t on pump gas. Granted, that is with exhaust and intake mods and the boost turned up, but that’s more power than a 5.7 hemi puts out. I’m not about to turn mine up that high, but it was refreshing to see that guys over there have been running their Jeep’s with the boost turned up for years now without engine failures. 100hp and 200+ ftlbs over the v6, I’ll gladly live with a little lag…

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Found this on the JB4 forum, 322 hp and 445ftlbs to the wheels out of the lowly 2.0t on pump gas. Granted, that is with exhaust and intake mods and the boost turned up, but that’s more power than a 5.7 hemi puts out. I’m not about to turn mine up that high, but it was refreshing to see that guys over there have been running their Jeep’s with the boost turned up for years now without engine failures. 100hp and 200+ ftlbs over the v6, I’ll gladly live with a little lag…
You see this and then see issues on stock boost. Also the cam profile only makes power in a 3k rpm range.. granted that's a LOT more lol. This is very interesting though and why I would like to build a 3.6l turbo.

it could be done.. prob not within the CARB reg and gov/epa bullshit lol.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You see this and then see issues on stock boost. Also the cam profile only make power for 3k rpm.. granted that's a LOT more lol. This is very interesting though and why I would like to build a 3.6l turbo.
I don't know that I've seen any issues posted on stock boost, but this is definitely more boost than I want to run. Srt tuning the 2.0t to 340hp and 369 ftlbs at the crank was impressive, this is amazing. With the 8 speed auto, the jeep does a great job of staying in that power band most of the time anyway.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know that I've seen any issues posted on stock boost, but this is definitely more boost than I want to run. Srt tuning the 2.0t to 340hp and 369 ftlbs at the crank was impressive, this is amazing. With the 8 speed auto, the jeep does a great job of staying in that power band most of the time anyway.
I don't want to give up off-idle torque which is so important for a 4wd vehicle.. that massive increase when then turbo hits isn't ideal for something that requires very little torque with a 4:1 transfer case.

I'll stick with my 5.13:1 first gear in the manual and the 4:1 transfer case with a NA engine...105 crawl ratio and easily manageable acceleration.

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I'll be ordering a 2022 JLUR this month but I'm not excited about any of the engine options. The 3.6 w/ess has the crappy motorcycle battery that seems to fail far too early, plus it's manual only which I don't want on a DD/wheeler. The 3.6 etorque has a complex secondary battery system that I'm weary of. The 2.0 sounds weird and I don't like turbo throttle feel, plus premium fuel. The 3.0 diesel I actually like but my commute makes me a bad candidate for it plus the high maintenance cost and complexity are a turn off. The 392 is awesome no question, but it's not a practical DD and I'm not spending $75k on a wrangler. The 4xE is interesting but not on a vehicle that is designed to get you away from electrical outlets.

I guess the problem is simply just having choice. I kind of wish it were the old days of having the 3.6 and that's it. I'll likely be getting the XR package so I'll have the 3.6 etorque and I'm sure it will be great. It seems ridiculous to not be able to choose a clear winner, but maybe there isn't.
My motorcycle battery has been dead for 6 months and it doesn't seem to be an issue. The start/stop no longer functions but I hate it anyway, so who cares? Get the V6. It is dependable, has plenty of power, and gets great gas mileage....as long as you don't put huge tires on your Jeep.

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I don't trust the 3.6 engine, its not a maintenance issue with them either, its a material issue. No matter how good you take care of it, it won't stop the valve seats from dropping eventually. Not to mention the lifter and cam issues as well.

Unless your leasing, the 2.0 is the safest bet, its no demon, but it gets the job done. Also, seems like there is more and more aftermarket support every year. Wish they would do an I6, but with electrification on the horizon, I doubt we are going to see any new motors or powertrain refreshes.

I am interested to see how well the 6.4 does in the JLs, they seem to have the least amount of issues in the Power Wagons.
🙄🙄
https://www.thedrive.com/news/34672...s-chrysler-pentastar-v6-is-after-626000-miles

Diesel4Life

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I'll be ordering a 2022 JLUR this month but I'm not excited about any of the engine options. The 3.6 w/ess has the crappy motorcycle battery that seems to fail far too early, plus it's manual only which I don't want on a DD/wheeler. The 3.6 etorque has a complex secondary battery system that I'm weary of. The 2.0 sounds weird and I don't like turbo throttle feel, plus premium fuel. The 3.0 diesel I actually like but my commute makes me a bad candidate for it plus the high maintenance cost and complexity are a turn off. The 392 is awesome no question, but it's not a practical DD and I'm not spending $75k on a wrangler. The 4xE is interesting but not on a vehicle that is designed to get you away from electrical outlets.

I guess the problem is simply just having choice. I kind of wish it were the old days of having the 3.6 and that's it. I'll likely be getting the XR package so I'll have the 3.6 etorque and I'm sure it will be great. It seems ridiculous to not be able to choose a clear winner, but maybe there isn't.
1000% Diesel if you want manly power, torque, speed, better gas mileage, a WAY better on road ride because of added weight and an overall bad ass Wrangler. Drive a diesel and feel the power under you foot.

Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
1000% Diesel if you want manly power, torque, speed, better gas mileage, a WAY better on road ride because of added weight and an overall bad ass Wrangler. Drive a diesel and feel the power under you foot.
My heart want a diesel, but by brain votes for 392. What could go wrong with a simple push rod dinosaur naturally aspirated v8.

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
Just completed a buyback for 1 today and there are 2 more that have 10 more days left before they go into buyback status. Cylinder heads are on forever back order and they are still dropping seats and the cams are still messing up. The one that went into buyback has 208 miles on it, the other 2 under 40k. This is not counting pre-19s that I have done, replaced hundreds of heads and at least 40 motors this year alone. The 2.0? Since it came out, replaced 2 motors and a timing tensioner.

I am not knocking people that like them. I would prefer people buy them, I make a ton of money off of them, since this new law passed in California, warranty work pays more than customer pay. FCA/Stellantis pays me 120% over cost to fix them, thats more than double of retail.

I was just sharing the reason why I wouldn't buy one. Maybe they finally figured it out, maybe they didn't, to each his own. Buy what you like and what fits your needs.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
yup - the 3.6 is indeed a good engine. No engine is perfect of course...I visited the Nissan engine facility (Tennessee) and they would have failed engines that were replaced under warranty there for inspection all the time. Considering millions of these engines have been produced it wasn't a surprise to see 20-30 failed engines off loaded from the trailer every week.

here is more on the 3.6

https://4wheeldriveguide.com/how-many-miles-can-you-put-on-a-3-6-pentastar/#:~:text=So it is fair to,is a good reliable engine.&text=It is regarded as among,It is a great engine.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I would agree with you normally; I’m super happy with the V6/etorque combo.

That said, I got up close and personal with a 392 on Monday and I started asking myself things like:

“Do my kids really NEED to go to college?”
“Would my wife actually be mad if I bought a $80,000 Jeep or is she secretly hoping I will?”
“Do I really need to eat EVERY meal during the day? Seems very excessive…”

etc.
Sponsored